11 Speed Derailleurs?

mattwilkinson

11 Speed Derailleurs?

Postby mattwilkinson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:43 am

Can you use a 10 speed Rear Derailleur on an 11 speed system?
I was always told that the Derailleur doesn't mind how many gears but rather just the shifters.

To upgrade to 11 speed, do I need to upgrade the rear derailleur?

Matt

Blakeylonger

Re: 11 Speed Derailleurs?

Postby Blakeylonger » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:25 pm

For 10 --> 11 ROAD:
SRAM: keep your mech, change your shifters.
Shimano: New mechs and shifters.
Campy: kinda varies depending on the exact model year of the parts, some were specific, later ones not so much.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:23 pm

And consider that the chain & rear hub might complicate things as well.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:28 pm

Talking about shimano here
AFAIK, 10 speed Chainrings are fine for 11 spd, as the chain is only slightly narrow
That's a shame, so I would need: new freehub body, rear derailleur, shifters, chain and casette

How good is 11 spd? Will 10 speed become obsolete? Am I better off going to 11 speed now, will it make resale value significantly higher and easier to sell?

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:39 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:How good is 11 spd?
New 105 is brilliant, taking the design cues of the other new 11 speed groups make it shift very well.
mattwilkinson wrote:Will 10 speed become obsolete?
Not at all, 10 speed parts are in abundance now and almost undoubtedly will be for some time to come. Hell, even 8-speed parts are still easy to find.
mattwilkinson wrote:Am I better off going to 11 speed now, will it make resale value significantly higher and easier to sell?
Well, it's pretty nice, but I doubt it'll do much to the resale value. Whether it's worth it is up to you, but yes, it'll be a fairly significant outlay.

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks i'll keep that in mind.
On a 2014 Cervelo S2, Got 10 Speed 105 on currently but looking to go to something lighter and bit more reliable.

2wheels_mond

Postby 2wheels_mond » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:42 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:Thanks i'll keep that in mind.
On a 2014 Cervelo S2, Got 10 Speed 105 on currently but looking to go to something lighter and bit more reliable.
The new 11 speed is no lighter, it's just a different design. What is unreliable about what's on there?

mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:26 pm

Nothing really unreliable, rear crunches a little bit every now and then.
I really like the feel of DA, and miss the feel of my ultegra a bit.

I'll just stay with 10 speed. maybe upgrade the rear to ultegra, and then eventually upgrade shifters once I redo the bar tape and cables.
Chain and cassette are tiagra so those will be coming off shortly for 105/ultegra

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:34 pm

If you want nicer shifting, get coated gear cables and PTFE lined outers. They're the big difference, rather than the shifters themselves.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:44 am

mattwilkinson wrote: I was always told that the Derailleur doesn't mind how many gears but rather just the shifters.
In general terms, yes, but in the shifter/derailleur relationship there's a factor called the leverage ratio, which in basic terms is the amount of cable pulled at the shifter + the action of the pivots in the derailleur required to move the derailleur the right distance to line up with the gears. Pretty much all Shimano stuff from 5- to 10-sp, with a handful of exceptions, uses the same leverage ratio, so as long as the shifter is the right number of gears for the cassette then the derailleur will follow. However, 11-sp. uses a different leverage ratio, so you can only pair 11-sp. shifters with compatible derailleurs.

Differences in leverage ratio are the reason why you can't mix shifters & rear derailleurs between different brands.

10-sp. isn't going anywhere near oblivion in a hurry; Although parts such as higher-spec shifters & the like are becoming scarce, the fact that there are still 8- & 9-sp. groups in production shows that if they're around, 10-sp. will be around for a long while to come yet.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.