Clincher tyre that doesn't

find_bruce

Clincher tyre that doesn't

Postby find_bruce » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:51 pm

Just fitted a new Shimano Marathon plus 700 x 28. You know the drill, very tight fit, use cable tie, lubricant etc. Except for this one, it fitted on easily & that seems to be a problem.

The tyre bead sits in fine with the tube deflated, but once I add air, on one side the bead pops out - random places around the rim, but it will never properly seat.

It isn't the rim as a different tyre fitted on that rim just fine & I have tried the dud tyre of three different rims with the same result.

Any suggestions on how to make it fit?

Sadly no option of returning under warranty - I have had this one as a spare for more than 12 months & can't recall who I brought this particular tyre from.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

RonK

Re: Clincher tyre that doesn't

Postby RonK » Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:55 pm

What about contacting Schwalbe direct?
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:07 pm

RonK wrote:What about contacting Schwalbe direct?
I'd go with that.

How annoying! I had the opposite problem with some Conti Sport Contact 26x1.3s, and a Conti Vertical Pro. Couldn't get the latter on my son's DT Swiss rims with Stans rim strips. 'The former I'd end up skinning my knuckles and breaking tyre levers every time I had to swap them over. Oh, and pinch cutting the tube a couple of times as well, and having to do over! :?

Just as well they never punctured!

@find_bruce You're welcome to have the Vertical Pro for your dually in the meantime while you work on your application to the Minister of Finance for your new 29er. You may have better luck with proper UST rims.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:55 pm

Thanks for the suggestions - I have contacted Schwalbe & will see what response I get
Anything you can do, I can do slower