Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheel noise

Nahteno

Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheel noise

Postby Nahteno » Wed May 27, 2015 7:10 pm

hoping someone can shine some light on this matter for me.

I have an old Pair of Ksyrium Equipe wheels that im going to replace my shimano R500 with, but in doing so I have noticed that when I spin the
rear wheel slowly it makes a strange noise like a clunk almost like a small weight is sliding down one of the spokes and tapping the Rim.
Sorry very hard to explain it, it doesn't sound like its the Hub, more of tapping and clicking noise, same spot/spoke on the rim the noise comes from every time.

ill try and record it and put it on youtube or something.

but in the mean time any advice in case someone else has come across this before me.

(spokes are bladed too)

Cheers

Ryan

MelodyWheels

Re: Mavic Ksyrium Equipe wheel noise

Postby MelodyWheels » Fri May 29, 2015 1:04 pm

Very hard to say without seeing it.

Check if the noise is occurring near the rim join (i.e. opposite the valve hole). Many rims have a sleeve join with two little dots which are pinned to stop them coming loose. Occasionally they come loose. See: https://instagram.com/p/0b9xSxQ6MQ/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise the Krysriums have the propriety "ISM" rim holes. Something could have come loose from this manufacturing process and be knocking inside the rim.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri May 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Classic loose joining block.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Nahteno

Postby Nahteno » Sun May 31, 2015 6:09 pm

cheers guys, yeah took the rim tape off and i can see a loose joining block just floating around, is that an easy fix ? is the rim still safe to ride on too?

cheers

Ryan

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun May 31, 2015 6:56 pm

The rim is perfectly safe to ride on, as the joint is welded after the block is pinned to locate the ends of the extrusion. It's not really fixable unless you're game to try to locate the block back in place & punch the original dimples in a bit harder, but this does come with some risk of deforming the rim.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

MelodyWheels

Postby MelodyWheels » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:10 am

I've re-pinned a loose join with success. I punched two additional dimples either ride of the two that there already there. I don't think you are likely to damage the rim but you don't want to be ham-fisted when doing it. Gently does it.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:27 pm

Yep I had the same issue with the same set of wheels. Mine were still within warranty, so was an easy fix :p sent it back!