Frame repair Perth area

dawyndham

Frame repair Perth area

Postby dawyndham » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:00 pm

So over the weekend I was riding on the Munda Biddi with my girlfriend on our matching Sutras and the dreaded happened, a bent derailleur hangar. I never liked the idea of a touring bike having a fixed hangar for exactly this reason. I can carry some spare parts, but not for a bent frame.

So does anyone have a recommendation for someone in WA who can do frame repairs / modifications? Ideally seeing as the area already needs repairing, chopping out the affected dropout and replacing it with a removable hangar would be great.

Incidentally I noticed that Kona now put replaceable hangars on the 2016 Sutra.

Thanks,
David

mitzikatzi

Re: Frame repair Perth area

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:11 pm

http://quantumbicycles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:11 pm

i have the PARK Tool, DAG tool, if u would like to borrow it
in tuart Hill, PM me if your interested
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:21 pm

Kona Sutra = steel frame, right?

Steel bikes are traditionally less likely to have replaceable hangers. More forgiving to knocks and can be bent back/realigned.

The same repair on the road could be done with a borrowed 10" or longer crescent, a bit of eye squinting and precision guestimation.

So, what jackthelad sez.... either that or a decent LBS should see you right with an alignment tool. Phone around and ask. Unless you're close to Quantum, they'd be overkill for this job.
Last edited by HappyHumber on Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

dawyndham

Postby dawyndham » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:35 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Kona Sutra = steel frame, right?

That's why they're less or traditionally less likely to have replaceable hangers. More forgiving to knocks and can be bent back/realigned.

So, what jackthelad sez.... either that or a *decent* LBS should see you right with an alignment tool. Phone around and ask. Unless you're close to Quantum, they'd be overkill for this job.
Yeah, steel frame. But for a bike which is designed for touring, where things inevitably break, having parts that can't be repaired on the side of the road isn't what you want.

Photos of the damage below. The threading is all stretched out. A DAG tool will probably get it back together, but may strip the threads even worse in doing so and probably won't be a long-term reliable solution.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:53 pm

Sorry, was editing my reply as you responded. But yeah.. point taken about the thread. Aside from straightening, If the mount hole can't be chased clean to recover enough thread, I'd imagine someone like Quantum or Cycles Bespoke could tap it out and replace it with an O/S insert with the RD sized mounting thread

Looks like it took a hard and fast bash!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

dawyndham

Postby dawyndham » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:16 pm

HappyHumber wrote:... Looks like it took a hard and fast bash!
RD got pulled into the spokes of a fully loaded touring bike, not fast but certainly hard. Still not 100% certain how, but likely aided by a stick.

Quantum said they can heat, bend and then fill the hole with a Nickel / Brass alloy ?? and re-tap. I've had a similar repair done in Melbourne before to an older bike, and it works a treat except the frame is still susceptible to the same damage happening in the future if another misplaced stick is encountered.

On a related note, if anyone has a 9sp SGS RD lying around, RD-M772, RD-T661 or similar, that is also very bent and needs replacement. Otherwise I see c r c has RD-M772 on clearance.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks for The Beer
hopefully once u hang a derrailleur on it it , it'll work
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike