Tips for lubricating the chain

il padrone

Re: Tips for lubricating the chain

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:28 pm

MattyK wrote:I asked for evidence, not more anecdotes... In what way is it "far from ideal"? How does the "light oil" it leaves behind once the solvents evaporate differ from a straight "light oil" that you'd otherwise suggest?
No lab evidence here, but my experience - once the solvents have all gone there is very little actual lube left behind. Not enough to seriously lubricate, and more critically, what is left washes out very rapidly over time, particularly in any wet weather.

In contrast, WD40 does make a very good chain cleaner - focus the spray tube accessory onto your chain and spray while you rotate the chain and cranks. Keep this up for a good 30-40 seconds and watch all the dirt dribble off. At the conclusion, let the chain dry off and it will be clean and almost lube-free.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:32 pm

So you've tried using it as a chain lube?
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:42 pm

For a an excellent lube system - Purple Extreme; 'zero-loss' method.

I start with the chain with the maker's grease and ride it. Eventually when this becomes dry, the chain is squeaky, or grinding I will lube it. I use Purple Extreme ($17-$26 per bottle..... seems expensive but not in the grand scheme). Contrary to the instructions for Purple Extreme I have not stripped the chain of other lube, just apply it.

When the chain finally becomes dirty, or really gungy, I wipe off any surface dirt with a rag (hold the chain with the rag while spinning the drive-train through it), then lube with PE - one small drop per link. After letting it sit, I wipe off any excess. This will do the chain for 600-1000kms. I re-lube when the chain begins to get a grinding feel.

Rinse and repeat. Note again: I do not use any solvent cleaners..... hence what I term the "zero-loss" method.

This is my chain about 750kms after the last lube:

Purple Extreme may seem expensive, especially at $26 per bottle (have bought it for less), but with a one-drop-per-link application, done about every 1000kms, I find that one bottle lasts me 3-4 years. And I have never had any wash-out in wet weather with it.

it is great stuff!

Cue Mulger Bill :wink:
Last edited by il padrone on Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:43 pm

silentC wrote:So you've tried using it as a chain lube?
Yes, I certainly have. Many years ago now, with much gnashing of teeth resulting
Mandatory helmet law?

silentC

Postby silentC » Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:03 pm

What ever were you thinking! Don't you know it's a solvent, not a lubricant?!!
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:14 pm

Now now, don't make me start talking about my hot paraffin wax chain clean and lube routine...

tim
it works for me, I don't think it's a reasonable suggestion for most people

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:37 pm

If I wasnt a sucker for the latest and greatest, I would use WD40 after each ride in the rain and that would be it. I never used o-ring chains on my motorbikes and never had a squeeky chain using above method.

I have a hobby that uses small two stroke engines. The manufacturers recommend redline syn oil. I cant remember the numbers, but by using castrol dino lube I was able to save the purchase price of the engine in five years. To no ill effect to the engine. Still goes strong today.

I bought a replacement 105 11sp chain for my bike to put in the tool box just in case, $22 delivered. I will just replace it before I spend too much on lube.