Look delta cleat screws coming undone.

Gorillaz3030

Look delta cleat screws coming undone.

Postby Gorillaz3030 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:45 pm

Recently, I purchased a pair of Shimano 3 bolt cycling shoes (first time on clipless pedals). I started off just riding around near my house a few times to get used to clipping in and out. The third time I went out, the bolts on my left cleat started to undo themselves, luckily I was near my house and got there before anything very bad could happen. I took out the screws, cleaned the mounting holes and screws, re-applied grease and put the screws back in, doing them up a bit more tight.

Today, I was riding along a quiet road (my first ride since the original incident) and after about 15 kilometers, I noticed that I could move my left foot around a lot. I decided to keep riding (I now realise how stupid this was :oops: ) and then about 10 minutes later, one screw dropped out of the cleat, I tried to un-clip my left foot but couldn't, luckily I got my right foot down but I had to take my left shoe off to get off the bike. I found the screw and washer, all still intact and got someone I know to give me a lift home (didn't have my multi-tool with me). Upon arriving home, I also found my right cleat was a bit loose, but nowhere near as much as my left one.

So, my question is; what do people do to keep the screws in? I have some low strength, removal with hand tools loctite on hand and have considered using that but some people say it is a good idea and some argue against it, what should I do?

-Gorilla
1998 Cannondale CAAD3 R1000 - Upgraded to Tiagra 10 speed

HappyHumber

Re: Look delta cleat screws coming undone.

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Gorillaz3030 wrote:... some people say it is a good idea and some argue against it, what should I do?
Toughen up Princess.... try something for youself, form your own opinions so you can confuse other people instead :D

Garden variety loctite (#243) for me... and yes I use them on Look Deltas. Plenty of still perfectly servicable 2nd hand pedals around for next to nix and <$20 for a new pair of cleats.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:11 pm

You don't happen to have small feet do you? Smaller-size shoes tend to have more rocker through the sole than bigger sizes, which distorts the cleats & may encourage the bolts to come undone (you may also find getting in & out more difficult from this too). You could try a thin shim under the toe of the cleats to help them sit more in their designed curve, which may help keep the bolts in too.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Gorillaz3030

Postby Gorillaz3030 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:52 pm

Duck! wrote:You don't happen to have small feet do you? Smaller-size shoes tend to have more rocker through the sole than bigger sizes, which distorts the cleats & may encourage the bolts to come undone (you may also find getting in & out more difficult from this too). You could try a thin shim under the toe of the cleats to help them sit more in their designed curve, which may help keep the bolts in too.
The shoe I am having the problem is an EU size 48. The cleat appears to fit the sole well. This photo should show it quite well.
Last edited by Gorillaz3030 on Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Size 48 pretty squarely kicks out the small shoe idea! :-P
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Gorillaz3030

Postby Gorillaz3030 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Duck! wrote:Size 48 pretty squarely kicks out the small shoe idea! :-P
I thought it might be a bit big! :lol:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:32 pm

FWIW, size 43 here (small for my 187cm, 97kg build) on the Look Deltas.

In the 7 or 8 years Ive been using road cleats, Ive been merely using cheap & cheerful Specialized, entry level plastic soled shoes. Only just on my second pair infact. Probably been through about 5 or so pairs of Delta cleats in that time with no loosening issues.
--

softy

Postby softy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:12 pm

as said Loctite,

One of the greatest inventions around. Even if they come loose, the Loctite will stop them continuing to loosen. I had a shop once fit my cleats, no Loctite, they came loose just as you explained, never leave home without Loctite in your cleat screws

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:29 pm

I'm wondering if the person who tried to talk OP out of Loctite or 'threadlockers' was aware of the myriad of different types? Most common household/hobbyist/general purpose varieties regularly available are non-permanent. Just read the label.

For the Loctite brand itself, the general rule I remember is Blue = non-permanent, Red = permanent. Beyond that, specific numbers have specific purposes - but as I mentioned earlier #243 is pretty much the most common general purpose. For my own use to date - primarily bike related - it's the only one I've ever used.

I have seen other brands like 'Champion'. Again, just read the label. If they say you can use hand tools to disassemble - it's safe for pretty much safe for most bike related applications.
--

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:42 pm

HappyHumber wrote:cheap & cheerful Specialized
I think I need to object to the combination of those words. I'm in Sydney and I've not found any of my local Specialized dealers to sell anything cheaply...

Please let me know where I can buy Specialized stuff at reasonable prices. It's always been at a premium whenever I have made inquiries about bikes, shoes, or any other accessories :)
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Zippy7

Postby Zippy7 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:46 pm

definitely +1 for using a threadlocker.
The guys at Bunnings just dismiss it as superglue (thats where I bought mine).
Successful trades : Rheicel, Je, wgc138, 2ndeffort, celeste boy, rodneycc

Gorillaz3030

Postby Gorillaz3030 » Sun May 01, 2016 12:25 pm

Ok, thank you for all your responses.

One more question, the part of the shoe where the cleat attaches is carbon fibre but I don't think the rest of the sole is. The loctite I have (222) says "Caution: May attack some plastics" on the bottle, is this likely to be a problem? I heard somewhere that the threadlockers with this warning sometimes damage carbon fibre.

-Gorilla

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun May 01, 2016 12:44 pm

Just use the stuff really sparingly. Ensure the male & female threads are clean and put a small dot of the stuff on the screw. The action of screwing it in spreads it along the thread. It shouldnt touch the plastic or carbon fibre. You dont splash the stuff around like glue.
--

Gorillaz3030

Postby Gorillaz3030 » Sun May 01, 2016 7:13 pm

HappyHumber wrote:Just use the stuff really sparingly. Ensure the male & female threads are clean and put a small dot of the stuff on the screw. The action of screwing it in spreads it along the thread. It shouldnt touch the plastic or carbon fibre. You dont splash the stuff around like glue.
Okay, thank you.

-Gorilla

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun May 01, 2016 9:00 pm

Look Delta?

Try a piece of dinosaur hide under the cleat and tighten the screw with a neolithic flint spearhead :D

Gorillaz3030

Postby Gorillaz3030 » Mon May 02, 2016 4:26 pm

Derny Driver wrote:Look Delta?

Try a piece of dinosaur hide under the cleat and tighten the screw with a neolithic flint spearhead :D

Budget cyclist problems :cry: