I'm a champion bike mechanic...

hannos

Re: I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Postby hannos » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:13 pm

replaced my cassette and chain, didn't bother to do much in the way of RD adjustments.

first commute it shifted like a dog...

So I spent some time sorting it all out and my trusty steed is now like new!

Lesson for today: Don't be lazy!
2010 BMC SLC01

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:45 pm

Adding Hexlox & magnets to my daughter's wheels. Can't find the second magnet anywhere and mighty annoyed that I will need to pay 10 euros postage from Germany for a new magnet.

Turned the office and the kitchen upside down looking for this 5mm diameter neodymium magnet. :twisted:

Until I checked the front axle and realised the Hexlox wasn't working. Because the second magnet I was looking for was stuck to it. :roll:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Marcus T

Postby Marcus T » Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:38 pm

If you ever have any problems with your hexlox just email us and we’ll take care of it directly. If it’s a warranty thing I’d course there would be no postage costs but a quick replacement from our side.

Marcus (managing director hexlox)

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Marcus T wrote:If you ever have any problems with your hexlox just email us and we’ll take care of it directly. If it’s a warranty thing I’d course there would be no postage costs but a quick replacement from our side.

Marcus (managing director hexlox)
Thanks Marcus. No accounting for not wearing my glasses!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:13 pm

Kinda. Rode to school to pick up the kids this arvo, oldest had a flat tyre. Not so champion, didn’t have anything to repair it. Walked it down to a nearby servo and hey presto, presta valve - couldn’t get the servo car tyre inflator on it. Quick thinking, not sure whether I borrowed the idea, ducked into the servo and borrowed some scissors and cut the tip off the dust cap - instant Schrader adaptor. Inflated, off we rushed.

Unfortunately the newly inflated tyre only lasted a couple of hundred metres before returning to deflated form.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:27 am

bychosis wrote:Kinda. Rode to school to pick up the kids this arvo, oldest had a flat tyre. Not so champion, didn’t have anything to repair it. Walked it down to a nearby servo and hey presto, presta valve - couldn’t get the servo car tyre inflator on it. Quick thinking, not sure whether I borrowed the idea, ducked into the servo and borrowed some scissors and cut the tip off the dust cap - instant Schrader adaptor. Inflated, off we rushed.

Unfortunately the newly inflated tyre only lasted a couple of hundred metres before returning to deflated form.
How the hell have I not thought of that before!

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:26 pm

Just used a barrel adjuster to fix noisy shifting on my wife's new Aldi special. First time for everything :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Mububban wrote:Just used a barrel adjuster to fix noisy shifting on my wife's new Aldi special. First time for everything :D
Nice
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:12 pm

I redid the SunTour BB on my 80s Malvern Star a while ago, but out and about the other night dodging Maggies and Hiluxes I could feel a slight tick or notchy sort of thing when the drive side crank was forward.

Ok, bike on stand, open up the BB and it all looks good. Nice blue-green grease, nice smooth bearings, nice smooth cups everything is as it should be.....hold on, wot the ph*k is that? Found a small cable housing offcut in the grease in the drive side cup. Can only imagine it flew off the cable cutters and into the grease tub, and I have then introduced it into the BB.

Who'd have thunk it possible?

uart

Postby uart » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:04 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:hold on, wot the ph*k is that? Found a small cable housing offcut in the grease in the drive side cup.
Hi 10speed. Do you use those flexible plastic boots things on your old style bottom brackets? They stop muck getting into the bearings if there is anything stray there inside the tubes.

I used to use them, but I don't even know where you can buy them anymore.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:15 pm

uart wrote:
10speedsemiracer wrote:hold on, wot the ph*k is that? Found a small cable housing offcut in the grease in the drive side cup.
Hi 10speed. Do you use those flexible plastic boots things on your old style bottom brackets? They stop muck getting into the bearings if there is anything stray there inside the tubes.

I used to use them, but I don't even know where you can buy them anymore.
I do, if you mean like this :

wouldn't have helped in this case as it was in the grease.

uart

Postby uart » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:24 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote: I do, if you mean like this :
Yeah, exactly like that. I'm not sure if you can even buy them anymore. I've got a BB to assemble tomorrow in an old bike and no spare boots to use. I'm seriously considering having a crack at using two Yakult bottles stuffed end to end - if I can't think up anything better in the mean time. ( LOL, that's if they even fit properly. It was just a random thought I had today while I was lamenting the lack of a boot for this job. ;) )

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:32 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:I redid the SunTour BB on my 80s Malvern Star a while ago, but out and about the other night dodging Maggies and Hiluxes I could feel a slight tick or notchy sort of thing when the drive side crank was forward.

Ok, bike on stand, open up the BB and it all looks good. Nice blue-green grease, nice smooth bearings, nice smooth cups everything is as it should be.....hold on, wot the ph*k is that? Found a small cable housing offcut in the grease in the drive side cup. Can only imagine it flew off the cable cutters and into the grease tub, and I have then introduced it into the BB.

Who'd have thunk it possible?
Unlucky I'd say! :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:44 am

uart wrote:
Yeah, exactly like that. I'm not sure if you can even buy them anymore. I've got a BB to assemble tomorrow in an old bike and no spare boots to use. I'm seriously considering having a crack at using two Yakult bottles stuffed end to end - if I can't think up anything better in the mean time. ( LOL, that's if they even fit properly. It was just a random thought I had today while I was lamenting the lack of a boot for this job. ;) )
I've made one up using reticulation parts and hot glue. Needed it to be a small diameter to allow for internal cabling

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Nothing done as yet, but have to replace a Magura RT8TT brake lever as it has exxon-valdezed itself. I have a spare to replace it with and now to get the bleed kit and some Royal Blood.

Hopefully the dodgy lever can be repaired.

Should be a fun job.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:48 pm

g-boaf wrote:..now to get the bleed kit....
Big fan of the Jagwire multi-adapter bleed kits. I've narrowed our range of hydros at home to only Shimano and Hope - one kit for each.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:50 am

ValleyForge wrote:
g-boaf wrote:..now to get the bleed kit....
Big fan of the Jagwire multi-adapter bleed kits. I've narrowed our range of hydros at home to only Shimano and Hope - one kit for each.
I had that one, then returned it. It looked like it wasn't going to be compatible. So I'm going the original Magura kit.

Cable operated brakes are so much easier! I'm hoping the rest is fairly simple - it looks to be.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:08 am

uart wrote:
Back in the mists of time these tubes used to be made of greased cardboard. I have found the cardboard tube in loo rolls (or similar) cut to length an adequate substitute when nothing else was around.

Richard

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:26 pm

Not me (no really!) but on a bike that came in for a bit of work. While doing said work, thought I'd pop the pedals off to make it a little easier. First pedal was tight. Like really tight.... Looking closer I found the left pedal had been put on the right crank, and to be perfectly consistent the right pedal was on the left crank. Yep, left thread pedal into a right threaded hole (and right into left of course).

I didn't think it would be possible. Exit one crankset....

open roader

Postby open roader » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:13 pm

.....speaking of cranksets...........

Have been riding my NOS recent build 2008 Trance around home the past few weeks. Pity though - it was making a clanging noise when I was light on the cranks. I figured I had somehow wrecked the Hollowtech BB - spent a few hours frigging about removing the cups re-installing, checking the spacer on the non drive side correct torques on the bolt because I am a Champion Bike Mechanic.............

Turns out the cassette was loose on the freehub body because I was too lazy to pull my torque wrench out when I initially built the frame - just relied upon a guesstimate 40Nm tweak using the lock ring spanner ................. woefully inadequate :oops:

Silver lining is I've learned my lesson and it rides like a dream now!
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:17 pm

Swapped out the aging BB7Rs on the commuter for a set of Spyres.
Put the wheels back in and had a Say What moment when everything looked totally wrong

Mounted the adaptors on the wrong ends didn't I? :oops: :roll:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Actually, I had some success.

I fixed a sticky right hand Shimano shifter using the approved method of drenching it with WD-40. Very easy.

I know that there is dissent about what sort of lube to use after that, but I applied a small amount of white grease with a cotton bud to get it as far into the mechanism as possible. I'll will see how it goes.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Pulled my rear derailleur off and changed the hanger and now I can't get the derailleur back on. To clarify the derailleur does go on I just can't seem to get the rear wheel to go back on

uart

Postby uart » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:49 am

Ross wrote:Pulled my rear derailleur off and changed the hanger and now I can't get the derailleur back on. To clarify the derailleur does go on I just can't seem to get the rear wheel to go back on
Hi Ross, usually that means the slot (for the axle to slide into) in the hanger is not aligning properly with the matching slot in the dropout.

Have a close look and see how much the two slots are misaligned by. If it's a lot then you probably have the wrong hanger installed. If it's a tiny bit then you can fix it with a file. File the hanger (removed), not the dropout obviously.

If it's out by just a real tiny bit then try slightly loosening the hanger attachment screw/screws and then try wiggling the wheel in. If that works but the wheel again gets blocked out when you re-tighten the hanger screws then do a little bit of file work on the hanger.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:54 pm

changed brake cable on my bike with 105 5600 levers, which have a pivoting barrel guide that the cable end sits in. the barrel has o-rings that sit on the lever body. I spent about 20 minutes trying to re-seat the barrel without losing the O-rings into the depths of the shifter body. eventually I gave up and located them with a touch of grease. all good :D