I'm a champion bike mechanic...

find_bruce

Re: I'm a champion bike mechanic...

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:19 am

jasonc wrote:
Duck! wrote:Chuck it in the vice & bend it back. They're not that fragile.
I'm viceless
Thanks Dad

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:34 am

Been playing with a couple of old clunker dragsters over the last few days. One of them had a loose BB. Easy, I'll tighten it up. Plan B, well, I'm adjusting it, might as well pull it apart and regrease. Unscrew the cup .... ting, ting, ting, ting. Oh, I remember now, these things have loose bearings. I think I found them all. Can only get one crank off, so I'll do my best to clean it out and repack.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun May 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Yeah, well...

Crossgrading my sons bike with the SLX/XT group off my hardtail when I got hold of a 1x group at crazy good money.

All fitted fine, limits set and it's time to cable up and tune the shifting.
Couldn't get the front to downshift off the big dog. An hour later after pulling chain and cables (moved fine then) I notice the the cable clamp plate had rotated 90deg when tightening and was fouling on the band clamp :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sat May 12, 2018 7:46 pm

Was windy overnight in Brisbane. Took my roadie out around lunch time for a 20k trip to the Bay and a salad roll. When I got back on the bike, I had a flat. Must have been sharp plant debris over the tracks I took.

I usually take my CX with 42mm knobblies on that ride, so am out of the habit of carrying a repair kit.
Thanks to a couple of fellow riders, I was able to top up the tire three times on the way home.
I went back to the Nudgee Beach shop I had lunch and left them a bunch of bike repair stuff (tubes, tires, tape, puncture repair kit, glueless patches, pump, etc) to help others who have issues. THe shop is a popular destination for many cyclists. Harry the shop owner and I decided to get in touch with the Brisbane City Council about installing a bicycle repair center at Nudgee beach.

https://briscycle.com/community-bike-re ... index.html

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Fri May 25, 2018 9:13 am

Bought a steam cleaner for home.

It doesn't clean a drive train. It does make it lukewarm & wet though.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri May 25, 2018 3:06 pm

Good to see even the pro's make mistakes:

https://www.steel-vintage.com/de-rosa-r ... ike-detail

am50em

Postby am50em » Sat May 26, 2018 1:54 pm

My Revolt started to creak again a couple of months after I thought I had finally solved the problem. Tried everything again but no luck. Put new chain/cassette/brake pads in and gave it a good clean which was when I noticed cracked around top of seat tube weld near bottom bracket.
Hmm.
Took it back to where I bought it (Giant Sydney) and three weeks later I have a new ToughRoad frame (plus forks and seat post) with the old components moved across. No more creaks!
Thanks Giant :D

JPB

Postby JPB » Sat May 26, 2018 9:35 pm

am50em wrote:My Revolt started to creak again a couple of months after I thought I had finally solved the problem. Tried everything again but no luck. Put new chain/cassette/brake pads in and gave it a good clean which was when I noticed cracked around top of seat tube weld near bottom bracket.
Hmm.
Took it back to where I bought it (Giant Sydney) and three weeks later I have a new ToughRoad frame (plus forks and seat post) with the old components moved across. No more creaks!
Thanks Giant :D
My Revolt cracked in September last year where the top tube meets the seat tube. Discovered the crack while searching for the source of a squeak.
I also had my frame replaced at no cost by Giant

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun May 27, 2018 7:54 am

JPB wrote: My Revolt cracked in September last year where the top tube meets the seat tube. Discovered the crack while searching for the source of a squeak.
Was replacement a Revolt frame or ToughRoad?

JPB

Postby JPB » Sun May 27, 2018 9:25 pm

am50em wrote:
JPB wrote: My Revolt cracked in September last year where the top tube meets the seat tube. Discovered the crack while searching for the source of a squeak.
Was replacement a Revolt frame or ToughRoad?
Replacement was a Revolt frame, plain black with no colour highlights.
Do you notice a difference with the different frame? Is it any lighter?

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun May 27, 2018 10:27 pm

JPB wrote: Replacement was a Revolt frame, plain black with no colour highlights.
Do you notice a difference with the different frame? Is it any lighter?
Only been for one short ride so far. Geometry is slightly different so still tuning my set up. Don't think there is much difference in weight. I thought the ride was not quite as smooth as original frame.
From the color, black with red flashes, it would appear to be a 2016 frame.
It looks good, and I am think it will ride nicely for my purposes (fitness and commuting).

BradL

Postby BradL » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:08 pm

Bought a nice new sealed bearing headset to rejuvenate a mid 80's technocrat frame. Being a mid range frame mass produced in Italy, I assumed ISO dimensions for cup and crown race. Turns out the head tube is reamed to ISO specs, and the fork has a JIS specced crown race. :? So, the cups fit fine, but no dice on fitting the crown race. New JIS crown race ordered, plus bunnings vernier calipers bought to prevent further non-compatibility craziness :idea:

CoffsGal

Postby CoffsGal » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:26 am

Out today for my Sunday morning ride. Sky blue, sun shining, no wind, tyres making an eager sound on the pavement.

Had only travelled about 8km when I changed down a few gears to ascend a moderate rise, when there was suddenly no resistance on the rear brifter (Ultergra 6800). A quick glance at the rear cassette showed I was now in the smallest gear (11 tooth). Oh dear, it was apparent that the rear derailleur cable had snapped. I was surprised as I hadn't noticed any poor changing, which will often indicate the cable is frayed and the strands are grabbing on the cable outer.

To avoid having to ride home in the 11 tooth sprocket I used a cable tie I had in the saddle bag, to set the rear derailleur to an appropriate sprocket that would enable me to get up the hills I would encounter, using the small ring on front, and to allow a reasonable pace on the flats in the big ring (34x50).

Other things I have in my saddle bag due to often riding in remote locations where there is no nearby assistance or possibly phone reception...
2 x tubes
1 x set tyre levers
2 x adhesive tyre sleeve (ParkTools) in case of split/cut in tyre. (Yes, I know I can use a $5 note, but I need that for after ride refreshments)
2 x Co2 cartridges and inflator tool
2 x stick on tube patches
2 x cable ties
1 x Multi tool with chain breaker
1 x KMC quick link (use chain breaker to remove a bent or broken link, and rejoin chain using quick link)
1 x small piece of wire to hold chain ends together to facilitate fitting of quick link
1 x chux wipe for cleaning

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:15 pm

CoffsGal wrote: Other things I have in my saddle bag due to often riding in remote locations where there is no nearby assistance or possibly phone reception...
I used to do a lot of 150-250k rides in Gold Coast and Tweed Hinterland, and would have a similar bag.
On one ride, I got 3 flats, and then gave it away as a bad joke. After that, I got even more paranoid and used to carry around a spare tire on long rides.

One day the penny dropped. The additional kit weight I was carrying around, and the inconvenience of getting flats made me realize 23-28mm high psi tires just aren't suitable for long isolated rides. Road bikes and tires are optimized for high speed supported racing.
Anyone who has done a lot of rural riding knows the roads often get rough and 90+psi isn't comfortable.
This is when I started to look more seriously at getting more durable tires running on lower psi.
The gravel grinder thing was just beginning and they seemed ideal for my purposes.
Pickings were slim in Brisbane, so I ended up getting a Giant TCX and adapting it. It's not ideal by any means but got me used to wider tires. Since getting it, I am a convert to wider tires for commuting in which getting a flat is a major time hassle, fowl weather, and riding away from support. I am looking at selling the TCX soon, and buying a light compact carbon road disc fitted frame that accommodates tires up to 42mm.
My sweet spot is 38mm. These things run at 60psi and are more comfortable on rough roads, and I've never had a puncture on them.
On longer rides now I just carry glueless patches and a small pump. Don't even carry tyre levers cos these tyres are easier to on.off with hands. I'd never go back to sub 250gram 23-25mm tires for these purposes. They just don't match the purpose.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:48 pm

CoffsGal wrote:Out today for my Sunday morning ride. Sky blue, sun shining, no wind, tyres making an eager sound on the pavement.

Had only travelled about 8km when I changed down a few gears to ascend a moderate rise, when there was suddenly no resistance on the rear brifter (Ultergra 6800). A quick glance at the rear cassette showed I was now in the smallest gear (11 tooth). Oh dear, it was apparent that the rear derailleur cable had snapped. I was surprised as I hadn't noticed any poor changing, which will often indicate the cable is frayed and the strands are grabbing on the cable outer.

To avoid having to ride home in the 11 tooth sprocket I used a cable tie I had in the saddle bag, to set the rear derailleur to an appropriate sprocket that would enable me to get up the hills I would encounter, using the small ring on front, and to allow a reasonable pace on the flats in the big ring (34x50).

Other things I have in my saddle bag due to often riding in remote locations where there is no nearby assistance or possibly phone reception...
2 x tubes
1 x set tyre levers
2 x adhesive tyre sleeve (ParkTools) in case of split/cut in tyre. (Yes, I know I can use a $5 note, but I need that for after ride refreshments)
2 x cable ties
1 x KMC quick link (use chain breaker to remove a bent or broken link, and rejoin chain using quick link)
1 x small piece of wire to hold chain ends together to facilitate fitting of quick link
Impressive.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:38 pm

CoffsGal wrote:Out today for my Sunday morning ride. Sky blue, sun shining, no wind, tyres making an eager sound on the pavement.

2 x tubes
1 x set tyre levers
2 x cable ties

This was what I started the hack/bodge thread for. BTW I vote bodge, but a good one nonetheless.

My tool kit includes a 10cm length of road brake cable that can be inserted in the RD with the head inside the adjusting screw and clamped in the usual position. (A gear cable will work just as well but that is what I had). Then you can use the adjusting screw to fine tune the the position of the derailleur.

I think that latex gloves are an important part of a bike emergency kit. They can go on over the top of riding gloves.

Cheers,

Cameron

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:36 pm

I tried latex gloves to keep the hands clean when I got a flat. They went to pieces when I had a puncture. Now I carry washing up gloves!

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:41 am

DavidS wrote:I tried latex gloves to keep the hands clean when I got a flat. They went to pieces when I had a puncture. Now I carry washing up gloves!

DS
FWIW latex gloves deteriorate. Nitrile gloves last better. I couldn't do any mechanical work wearing dishwashing gloves!
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:37 pm

They're fine for fixing a puncture but when I actually fix the bike I don't wear gloves.

Washing up detergent is great for cleaning hands.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:58 pm

DavidS wrote:Washing up detergent is great for cleaning hands.
Laundry powder is even better.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:03 pm

P!N20 wrote:Laundry powder is even better.
You will soon find any cuts on your hands :D

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:20 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
P!N20 wrote:Laundry powder is even better.
You will soon find any cuts on your hands :D
Yep.
Cheap shampoo or a good lather of velvet on quality paper towel
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Well after purchasing a Bunnings flat trolley for my gear to go on when at the Velodrome, I got to thinkin..........Gotta be a way to only make one trip when by myself from the ute. :idea: So I got some aly angle and then attached one of those fork clamps to that and then screwed it to the trolley base. I can now take all of my wheels, tools, rollers and bike in at the same time. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:50 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Well after purchasing a Bunnings flat trolley for my gear to go on when at the Velodrome, I got to thinkin..........Gotta be a way to only make one trip when by myself from the ute. :idea: So I got some aly angle and then attached one of those fork clamps to that and then screwed it to the trolley base. I can now take all of my wheels, tools, rollers and bike in at the same time. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Foo
Photo time

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:32 pm

find_bruce wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:Well after purchasing a Bunnings flat trolley for my gear to go on when at the Velodrome, I got to thinkin..........Gotta be a way to only make one trip when by myself from the ute. :idea: So I got some aly angle and then attached one of those fork clamps to that and then screwed it to the trolley base. I can now take all of my wheels, tools, rollers and bike in at the same time. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Foo
Photo time
I would, if Tapa worked here. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km