Magellan Cyclo 505

daazzaa

Re: Magellan Cyclo 505

Postby daazzaa » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:13 am

brokenbus wrote:I have a red and a green cover for a 505 that I no longer need. Anyone want them for the cost of postage? First pm for each colour gets it. One each don't be greedy
Nick
Hi Nick I have dropped you a PM to see if u have any left ?

Cheers

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:29 pm

brokenbus wrote:I have a red and a green cover for a 505 that I no longer need. Anyone want them for the cost of postage? First pm for each colour gets it. One each don't be greedy
Nick

PM'd you Nick

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:28 pm

Covers taken

brokenbus

Postby brokenbus » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:29 pm

Covers gone

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 pm

Cover arrived today Nick, looks great! Thank you very much, i didn't even know you could get a cover for the Cyclo 505 otherwise i'd have got one ages ago.

fab4272

Postby fab4272 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:34 pm

I've been in contact with a Magellan contact in Australia with regards to map updates for the Cyclo 505

It's now confirmed, they now consider them to be "end of life" and there are no future software or firmware updates planned for it.

Very poor, no map updates for this thing since being released in Australia I think.

Sully

Postby Sully » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:56 pm

So 'free maps for life' means until they say so?

wicksey

Postby wicksey » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:01 pm

fab4272 wrote:I've been in contact with a Magellan contact in Australia with regards to map updates for the Cyclo 505

It's now confirmed, they now consider them to be "end of life" and there are no future software or firmware updates planned for it.

Very poor, no map updates for this thing since being released in Australia I think.
Wouldn't be that hard to get them to release an updated OSM, or even a guide for users to update their own. Thumbs down Magellan.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:59 pm

BigNath wrote:
Toyopet wrote: It sounds like your device might not be properly registered to you.

When you log into the CycloAgent app on your computer, click on the “Settings” tab and scroll down. Can you see your device’s serial number there? If no, you need to register it. If yes, maybe try to deregister, then re-register it.

(These Magellan specific questions and replies probably belong in the Magellan topic: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=74555 )
When I log in to Cycloagent app and click on the settings tab there is no mention of any device, nor any button/menu/link to do anything apart from change if the activity history is kept on the device after sync or deleted, or change the language. There is also a checkbox for synchronising tracks but absolutely no mention of devices, serial numbers, or any way to register or de-register.
I think you may be on to something, however I am not seeing anyway to change anything.

How do I insert a picture into a post? then I can show you what I'm seeing....
There’s a whole topic on how to post pictures
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =6&t=23303

CycloAgent comprises of two separate things:
1 - the Magellan Cyclo website which you log into, and 2 - the Magellan Cyclo Agent app which you log into. Both use your same username and password. The first stores your rides/routes/history. The second is for your device setup. Have you downloaded and run the Cyclo Agent app on your computer to set up your device?

See my screenshot below, which shows the difference.
I’ve got the app sitting on top of the website.

BigNath

Postby BigNath » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:27 pm

Toyopet wrote:
BigNath wrote:
Toyopet wrote: It sounds like your device might not be properly registered to you.

When you log into the CycloAgent app on your computer, click on the “Settings” tab and scroll down. Can you see your device’s serial number there? If no, you need to register it. If yes, maybe try to deregister, then re-register it.

(These Magellan specific questions and replies probably belong in the Magellan topic: http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... 34&t=74555 )
When I log in to Cycloagent app and click on the settings tab there is no mention of any device, nor any button/menu/link to do anything apart from change if the activity history is kept on the device after sync or deleted, or change the language. There is also a checkbox for synchronising tracks but absolutely no mention of devices, serial numbers, or any way to register or de-register.
I think you may be on to something, however I am not seeing anyway to change anything.

How do I insert a picture into a post? then I can show you what I'm seeing....
There’s a whole topic on how to post pictures
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewt ... =6&t=23303

CycloAgent comprises of two separate things:
1 - the Magellan Cyclo website which you log into, and 2 - the Magellan Cyclo Agent app which you log into. Both use your same username and password. The first stores your rides/routes/history. The second is for your device setup. Have you downloaded and run the Cyclo Agent app on your computer to set up your device?

See my screenshot below, which shows the difference.
I’ve got the app sitting on top of the website.

Cheers for the photo posting instructions...

Here is my version of the same screen(s). I have Megallan Cyclo website logged in, and the Cyclo app loaded on top of the website.

As you can hopefully see if I've done this right, is that it recognises the Cyclo is connected, but states it's not connected to my account. This makes me think the comment about being registered to someone else is most likely on the money.
If that's the case, how can I re-register it to me?

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:14 pm

BigNath wrote:........As you can hopefully see if I've done this right, is that it recognises the Cyclo is connected, but states it's not connected to my account. This makes me think the comment about being registered to someone else is most likely on the money.
If that's the case, how can I re-register it to me?
If it’s a new unit which hasn’t been previously registered, you should be able register it via the app on your computer. But if it’s a used/refurbished/second-hand unit, it may still be registered to a previous user who hasn’t deregistered it from their Magellan account. There’s not much you can do about it in that case. You can’t deregister it from their account. I doubt Magellan/Mio would deregister it for you due to possible theft or security issues. It’s still useable, but without the full functionality you’d probably want.

BigNath

Postby BigNath » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:51 pm

Toyopet wrote:If it’s a new unit which hasn’t been previously registered, you should be able register it via the app on your computer. But if it’s a used/refurbished/second-hand unit, it may still be registered to a previous user who hasn’t deregistered it from their Magellan account. There’s not much you can do about it in that case. You can’t deregister it from their account. I doubt Magellan/Mio would deregister it for you due to possible theft or security issues. It’s still useable, but without the full functionality you’d probably want.
Yeah, thats what I'm starting to think. It's a second hand unit purchased online.
I will try and contact the seller and see if he can de-register it from his end, otherwise it sounds like if I buy a new unit and start from scratch, it will work the way I want...

Velt

Postby Velt » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:02 am

I was able to de-register a second hand magellan 505. They needed the email from the previous owner and some other details I think. I contacted magellan directly.

BigNath

Postby BigNath » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:10 am

Velt wrote:I was able to de-register a second hand magellan 505. They needed the email from the previous owner and some other details I think. I contacted magellan directly.
Awesome.
I have sent a message to the seller to see if he can de-register the unit. Haven't heard back yet...
If he can - great, if he can't (or wont') i'll call Magellan.
I can give them evidence of me purchasing it (ebay) and hopefully they will be of assistance.

For the time being, i'll keep using it as I think it's a handy piece of gear, and just upload through the Strava portal using an attached USB cable to upload the .gpx file
Not always ideal, but still useable if that's the way it has to be in my situation.
Lesson learnt for me (i'm reasonable experienced with ebay sales and communication) I didn't realise these things needed to be registered to an owner for them to work with full functionality.

Velt

Postby Velt » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:41 pm

BigNath wrote: Lesson learnt for me (i'm reasonable experienced with ebay sales and communication) I didn't realise these things needed to be registered to an owner for them to work with full functionality.

Same thing happened to me, I just assumed it would work. Thankfully magellan sorted it out.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:34 pm

Looks like Magellan have disappeared from Australia completely. Their mio.com website looks after Europe, Asia and Canada (No US, South American, South Africa, Australia or New Zealand).

Mine is still working but still useless as it is an Australian edition but I need European maps... and considering I use Strava, never saw the value purchasing European maps.
Cycling is in my BNA

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:04 pm

last time I wanted to use mine was for a ride in the US earlier this year - I could get the GPX for the route from the US Adventure cycling site but no way to get the US maps for the Mio - forgot about until this week noticed road.cc (UK) had a review of very similar Mio branded product with full European mapping so thought maybe dig it out and update the Aus' maps .... nope all dead - noticed that the owner of the Mio brand Mitec still runs Navman as a product in Aus' so emailed their sales - got this back with all dead links...small co' going bust sort of OK with, large co exiting market I'm bit p'offed with...maybe its my age but 4 year old product and no support doesn't make it good value to me...so how hard would it have been to tweak the code to allow users to upload OSM maps and email this fix to all the registered users?

Image[

bosco

Postby bosco » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:14 pm

Has anyone ever been able to establish if it's possible to trade map files or re-flash the device yourself? I picked up a Cyclo 505 second hand but turns out it's got US maps on it, so GPS is useless to me in Aus. Is it possible to reformat with the system files from an Australian device? Or alternatively, does anyone want to swap an AU device for a US one :?

tubby74

Postby tubby74 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:02 pm

this really should be a dumb question but I've spent 2 hours trying to sort this, reinstalled everything on the PC side in the hope the setting would be there and still cant change the date. It recorded my ride today on November 30, I went to the time and date screen and it only has options for time and date format, not values like the example in the manual shows.
Am i being particularly dumb today? since I updated the PC side and ran vairous updates and reinstalls I'll try recording a brief run shortly, but i still dont have any option to update these settings

RonK

Postby RonK » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:58 pm

As I recall there is no setting. Date and time is determined by the GPS.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ecanoca

Postby ecanoca » Mon May 27, 2019 4:55 pm

Hi all, I've read many posts about need to add new maps on 505. I've the same problem and I want to share my experience with a 315 EU maps and a 505 UK maps. I just copy below my post in an UK forum where there is the same discussion but bot are very smart to answer ..
I hope to found some of you can move forward my project to hack the Mio OS. The Mio business model is really encourage this option ! Finally consider that their business is based on open source maps!!! absolutely not acceptable!
my last post in UK forum :
"I tried to transplant maps from an 315 EU maps to an 505 UK maps, but I'm sorry, don't works.
I've perhaps identified some functionality of Mio Cyclo technology... The OS is fully embedded and what you see through the USB connection is only an inactive repository, the original embedded maps are fully managed from not reachable OS ( I think Windows CE).
Infact when I tried to brutally format the two virtual disk "mio system" and "mio data" nothing is happened!! Automatically Mio have request the PC connection and again automatically have call MioAgent to recover the original structure.
I suppose that the only way to solve this problem is hack the OS trough a script that overcome the protection for hide the fully structure of flash memory.
Anyone have some ideas???"

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Sun Oct 31, 2021 11:52 am

I used to be a Strava Premium user and live segments and all the rest worked well on my Cyclo 505.

I then reverted to a free account. Yesterday I re-susbscribed to Strava and now have all the paid perks again.

However when I go to "Live segments" on my Cyclo 505 I get an error saying "You must be a Strava Premium user". I have synced the device to Magellan Share, I have confirmed that it's all linked to Strava correctly, I've unlinked and re-linked and all the rest.

I did a ride this morning and no starred segments came up as Live when riding. I must stress that this all worked fine on the same unit and same account a couple of years ago. Is the "Strava Premium" tag the device is looking for, no longer applicable with the new subscription model?

Any ideas?