Just tested the cheap little Aldi pump.

uart

Just tested the cheap little Aldi pump.

Postby uart » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:35 am

I just came home from shopping at Aldi and thought I'd give my impressions of the cheap little $10 (or was it $9.99 lol) pump that they had on sale last week. There was just the one remaining at this store so I snagged it.

First impressions are: it works. Well for a sub $10 pump that's a win right there, because a lot of the cheap ones are total pieces of poo. I bought a similarly priced one from kmart a few months ago and seriously it ended up going almost straight into the rubbish bin. It was supposed to be suitable for high pressure tires and it could barely manage 20 psi, leaked air everywhere and every time I tried to use it I actually ended up losing pressure. I was totally pissed off with myself for not keeping the receipt on that kmart one, because crap like that needs to be returned to them so that they get the appropriate feedback and stop selling it.

Anyway, the little one from Aldi has a HP/HV switch, and that actually works too. In the high volume mode it get the first 25 PSI in fairly quickly, and in the HP mode I had no problems getting 100 psi. It has the "locking lever" type arrangement and seals well on the valve with no air leaks. It also has the double outlet thingy so it can do car/MTB valves as well, though I've only tested it with the high pressure presta valves so far.

It's also got an inbuilt pressure gauge which is a nice touch. Actually the only complaint I'd have is that the pressure gauge on the one I received seems pretty inaccurate. I'll have to test it against a more accurate one later to confirm, but it appears to read a bit under.

thomashouseman

Re: Just tested the cheap little Aldi pump.

Postby thomashouseman » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:41 pm

I bought the Aldi Huge gigantic floor pump for a runout $4. It too works a treat. No complaints whatsoever.

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:45 pm

I missed out on finding the pump in stock at my local Aldi, despite going on the day it was released.

Does anyone know an Aldi store in Sydney Metro area that has any left?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:51 pm

SteveTheTiger wrote:I missed out on finding the pump in stock at my local Aldi, despite going on the day it was released.

Does anyone know an Aldi store in Sydney Metro area that has any left?
I'm going to my local in Melbs before work tomorrow, want me to have a look?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:12 am

thomashouseman wrote:I bought the Aldi Huge gigantic floor pump for a runout $4. It too works a treat. No complaints whatsoever.

I got two of those on runout for 10bux a piece. One for work and one at home. Used them everyday for over two months. Still works the same, just dont have to use it as often. When I bought my new bike and had the tyres changed to 28mm the bike shop left in the small tube. Now with an appropriate tube it dont go down.

uart

Postby uart » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:44 pm

thomashouseman wrote:I bought the Aldi Huge gigantic floor pump for a runout $4. It too works a treat. No complaints whatsoever.
By "floor pump" do you guys mean a floor hand pump (like hand operated with a vertical barrel) or are you referring to a foot pump (which obviously also sits on the floor).

I've got the Aldi double barrel foot pump which I've had for quite a few years now, and it works great too. That one's also got outlets for both Presta and Schroder valves, but up until recently I'd only ever used it for Schroder. I thought that it would only be suitable for low pressure because it's just ridiculously high volume. But recently I've been using it for my HP presta stuff as well, and though you've really stand on it, it works just fine. Oh and man is it fast!

uart

Postby uart » Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:56 pm

SteveTheTiger wrote:I missed out on finding the pump in stock at my local Aldi, despite going on the day it was released. Does anyone know an Aldi store in Sydney Metro area that has any left?
I forgot to go and look when they were on sale, and to be honest I was surprised to see that lone one sitting there yesterday. I thought they be sold out too. Maybe mine was a return or something, because the package did look like it might have been opened, and the pressure gauge is pretty far off the mark on this one (so maybe someone didn't like that and returned it).

TBH though I don't really care too much about the pressure reading, as long as it's repeatable then I'll figure it out. Just doing a quick test now confirms that it definitely reads under. It looks like it reads about 5 Bar when the actual pressure is 6 Bar (75 psi when actually 90 psi).

The pump itself works great though. A little slow in HP mode, but it definitely gets you there in the end. With both valve types covered this thing will be really handy to carry out on the road or trail.

elfoam

Postby elfoam » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:22 am

the floor pump from a few months ago seemed slightly flimsy but its been an absolute winner for me. I use it everyday to save wear on my good pump. Shows no sign of failing anytime soon. Every once on a aldi bring something good beyond its price. I still see a couple of the flat bar road bikes from 4? Years ago every day commuting in melbourne. The pump im talking about is the talll alloy vertical. The double barrel foot pump i also have but its not as potent as the vertical.

uart

Postby uart » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:12 pm

elfoam wrote:The pump im talking about is the talll alloy vertical. The double barrel foot pump i also have but its not as potent as the vertical.
Thanks elfoam. Tall vertical, yeah that's your classic floor pump. I never saw that one at Aldi, only the foot ones. I guess I must have missed it.

Yes the good old floor pump is still the most effective type. I've got a really old one here, but unfortunately it's only for car valves and most of my bikes use presta.

SteveTheTiger

Postby SteveTheTiger » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:28 pm

I'm still looking for the small hand pump to carry on the bike. Already got a good floor pump from Aldi at home.

If anyone sees one in a Sydney metro store, let me know. Cheers

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:52 pm

SteveTheTiger wrote:I'm still looking for the small hand pump to carry on the bike. Already got a good floor pump from Aldi at home.

If anyone sees one in a Sydney metro store, let me know. Cheers
Plenty in my local
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:39 pm

Dunno if its just me and my rough nature of pulling the head off the tube valve but I had nothing but trouble with the Aldi floor pumps (x2). Lots of trouble with bending core valves so bought a few spares of Lezyne and Topeak heads and fitted them to the Aldi floor pump barrel and have now got two really good pumps!
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

cyclingnolycra

Postby cyclingnolycra » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:19 am

Sorry to dig up this mega old post, and this may be a stupid question, but how do you get this little aldi pump to work with presta valves? I can't seem to get it to stay on while pumping. Or do I need to get one of those little presta to Schrader adapters?

Philistine

Postby Philistine » Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:45 am

cyclingnolycra wrote:Sorry to dig up this mega old post, and this may be a stupid question, but how do you get this little aldi pump to work with presta valves? I can't seem to get it to stay on while pumping. Or do I need to get one of those little presta to Schrader adapters?
My Aldi pump has an automatic valve in the head that has never worked properly. If my Presta tube has some air already in it, the pump will usually further inflate it (but no guarantees). If the tube is completely flat - forget it!

It is easier to use a Presta / Scrader adapter, and these can be bought on E-Bay for $3.XX for 5. Buy 5 - they are too easily lost!

thomashouseman

Postby thomashouseman » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:16 am

Weird, mine works fine with both. The pump is still going strong several years later.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:15 pm

Philistine wrote:My Aldi pump has an automatic valve in the head that has never worked properly. If my Presta tube has some air already in it, the pump will usually further inflate it (but no guarantees). If the tube is completely flat - forget it!
Mine does the same. Sometimes it just won’t switch over to the correct side. I was going to change the head for one off a zefal pump, but by the time I got around to it the other head had disappeared into the garage parts vortex.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:33 am

Aldi track pump has 2 hole head... sometimes it doesn't flip over, gotta cover 1 hole with finger & give it a stroke. Presta stem gotta go pretty deep in too.

Popped into Reid recently... hmm... that white track pump looks vaguely familiar... :) https://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-trac ... white.html except theirs has a 1 hole head that fits both types.

uart

Postby uart » Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:55 pm

Tamiya wrote:Aldi track pump has 2 hole head... sometimes it doesn't flip over, gotta cover 1 hole with finger & give it a stroke. Presta stem gotta go pretty deep in too.

Popped into Reid recently... hmm... that white track pump looks vaguely familiar... :) https://www.reidcycles.com.au/reid-trac ... white.html except theirs has a 1 hole head that fits both types.
My initial post here was about their little mini pump, but yeah that Reid floor pump does look pretty similar to the latest Aldi one (except for the head). Wow, big price difference though. I think I paid all of about $13 for the Aldi one.

A little tip about that latest Aldi floor pump with the double head. The only complaint I had was that on presta valves it let a lot of air leak out until you flipped up the lever. On narrow tyres I often lost most of the pressure before I got the lever flipped up. The trick I found is to hold the lever just slightly cocked (like about one quarter way or less) with your thumb while you push the head on. This way it holds the pressure properly while you are flipping up the lever the rest of the way.

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:18 pm

shhh, no need to spoil Reid's market... ;)

Yeah it's a bit of an acquired skill how to unhook without loosing too much pressure.

But the other odd thing to bear in mind, the presta stem has to poke in pretty far. I was struggling with a presta tyre the other day, it only had ~20mm sticking out of deep rim... couldn't get head to seal on that - but it worked ok earlier as a naked tube. Had to yank more stem out of the rim, needed about 30mm inside the head to seal. (The schrader hole didn't like presta adaptor either, but I didn't try too hard there)