Degreasing chain

Dugong

Degreasing chain

Postby Dugong » Fri Mar 25, 2016 11:18 pm

Just started riding again after many years layoff. Just wondering how to degrease the chain, it's looking a bit tacky. I have a new hybrid and probably done about 1000kms without much TLC except oil and cleaning.

Dreams V Reallity

Re: Degreasing chain

Postby Dreams V Reallity » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:14 pm

I can't really help you wiyh that problem, Dugong.
If you try putting your question up in the 'Shed' , or 'General Discussion' Forums, You will get a lot more knowledge from a lot more people.
Good Luck.
D V R
Still Dreaming.

}SkOrPn--7

Postby }SkOrPn--7 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:22 pm

Dugong take the chain off and bath it in some diesel fuel and let it soak for a while then start to move the links to free up and wash most of the old gunk off. Placing the chain in a 2lt coke bottle then fill with diesel placing the lid back on and shaking the bejesus out of will do wonders. I then use white spirits which will clean and leave no oil residue after that add your favourite lube.

Ricky

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:59 pm

Dreams V Reallity wrote:I can't really help you wiyh that problem, Dugong.
If you try putting your question up in the 'Shed' , or 'General Discussion' Forums, You will get a lot more knowledge from a lot more people.
Good Luck.
Fixed
Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:34 pm

I would just spray WD40 on a rag till soaked. Hold rag around bottom section of chain a spin cranks backwards, Wiping as much dirt of off the chain as I can. I also wipe the chain rings and have been known to "floss" the cassette. Then wipe with a clean cloth. Apply lube as per desired method and ride away

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Mar 26, 2016 6:43 pm

}SkOrPn--7 wrote:Dugong take the chain off and bath it in some diesel fuel and let it soak for a while then start to move the links to free up and wash most of the old gunk off. Placing the chain in a 2lt coke bottle then fill with diesel placing the lid back on and shaking the bejesus out of will do wonders. I then use white spirits which will clean and leave no oil residue after that add your favourite lube.

Ricky
Pulling the chain off can be a bit tricky if you don't have a chain tool, and there is no joining link (something like this).

Aerosol degreasers such as WD40 and a rag do a pretty good job, pretty quickly without having to take the chain off.

If you do have the means to pull a chain off and put it on again, then putting it in a container of solvent and shaking does indeed work well, although I use a plastic jar with a wide mouth to make it easier to get the chain out afterwards.

I'm not going to get into a lube discussion though.

Cheers,

Cameron

Dugong

Postby Dugong » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks all for the advice. Something to do later next week. Happy cycling.

open roader

Postby open roader » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:04 pm

.......................or don't take the chain off and get one of these :-

http://www.this link is broken.au/park-tools-cm5 ... 7&curr=AUD

or one of these :-

http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod12709

I use the Finish Line model, with kerosene or cheap de-greaser fluid. Used slowly and methodically, from experience I find these cleaning tools are the ants pants.

** Don't forget to re-lube the chain :D
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

AlexHuggs

Postby AlexHuggs » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:03 pm

Toothbrush and dishwashing detergent.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:26 pm

AlexHuggs wrote:Toothbrush and dishwashing detergent.
Toothbrush and turps or kero.

Or just let it all sit in molten wax and watch all your problems float (or sink) away.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:10 am

Kero. In a bath, using a toothbrush to scrub.

But once you have done this, get some top-quality low gunk lube like Purple Extreme, Squirt, or Rock & Roll Extreme, and lube with this, lightly. Then do not bother with future cleaning - just use the 'zero-loss' method - wipe down any slight dirt before relubing after 400-600kms.

The best lube on the chain is the maker's grease. Persevere with this as long as possible for the first 300-500kms.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:00 pm

Do none of the above. Go to your LBS & pick up a bottle of chain lube. Dribble the lube onto the chain while backpedalling, sufficient for a drop on each link. Run through the gears for 30 seconds or so to work it into the links where it needs to be, then thoroughly wipe off the excess.. That's all you ever need to do.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Harrys767

Postby Harrys767 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:22 pm

Duck,
i'll admit that is all I have ever done to my chains in the past (prior to getting a road bike), but do you not find your drivetrain is constantly filthy?
Harrys

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:26 pm

Harrys767 wrote:Duck,
i'll admit that is all I have ever done to my chains in the past (prior to getting a road bike), but do you not find your drivetrain is constantly filthy?
Harrys
Not if you keep the exterior surface of the chain free from excess lube.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Harrys767

Postby Harrys767 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:37 pm

Thanks Duck,

I still find I'm having to thoroughly clean and degrease monthly. Despite wiping down the chain, lubricating (dry wax lube), wiping excess off after each ride (50-75km), my drivetrain gets very dark and dirty. I give it a good wipe after each lube...maybe I need to focus a little more thoroughly on this.

Harrys

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:22 pm

Harrys767 wrote:I still find I'm having to thoroughly clean and degrease monthly. Despite wiping down the chain, lubricating (dry wax lube), wiping excess off after each ride (50-75km), my drivetrain gets very dark and dirty. I give it a good wipe after each lube...maybe I need to focus a little more thoroughly on this.
Ok, so what is "the dirt" ? How clean are your rims; brake blocks and seat stays? Where are you riding? How much lube are you putting on (see Duck's post)

Round here abouts we share the road with motor vehicles. Which shed large quantities of tyre rubber and brake dust, which then gets picked up by our tyres & flicked onto our otherwise-pristine bicycles.

If this is your problem (or other road grime/dust) then just wipe it off. Don't bother "cleaning" the chain as the problem is just on the outside.

If this still causes issues, then going back to the ol'bath-o-melted-wax method will reduce dust pick up. Not stop it, mind you.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

bitstuffer

Postby bitstuffer » Wed May 18, 2016 2:24 pm

il padrone wrote:Kero. In a bath, using a toothbrush to scrub.
Just make sure you are not in the bath at the same time - can sting sensitive areas I believe :P

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Wed May 18, 2016 7:15 pm

Aww, go on.... all the good aged-care nursing homes use it :twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu May 19, 2016 2:00 pm

Diesel, Kero, 2 smoke - all really good on oils/greases

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu May 19, 2016 2:57 pm

+1 to cyclone chain cleaner + kero

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 26, 2016 9:28 pm

Cyclone chain cleaner works well. Good thing. I use detergent with it, and the Shimano chain lube afterwards, and wipe away the excess with a rag.

I don't tend to do this too often.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu May 26, 2016 9:39 pm

Life's too short for degreasing chains! I like duck's method. Wipe, add lube, wipe.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

stylo

Postby stylo » Fri May 27, 2016 9:59 am

Is this considered a "cheap degreaser" ? Acceptable ?

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... mendations

I usually just wipe down and re-lube ...

amigo

Postby amigo » Sun May 29, 2016 1:42 am

When I had my first mtb i used to wash the chain every ~200 km with solvent and water in the bottle as described above. Later i got bored by this process, decided that it is useless and started just wipe my chain by a rag, and lubricate. I found out that previous procedure was not useless, wiping is not enough and all transmission wears out in one year (about ~5000 km in my case). But for me it is easier to change it once a year rather than do complete washing each two weeks.
Check out my cycling adventures on YouTube

ItsDank

Postby ItsDank » Sun May 29, 2016 1:49 am

Nothing beats a good spray of WD40 followed by some soapy water to get rid of the dirt. Wait till dry and re-apply a dry lube.