SECOND broken Toupe, so pissed off - venting

schroeds

SECOND broken Toupe, so pissed off - venting

Postby schroeds » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:13 pm

Unfortunately for me my ass is very fussy, and after trying many saddles I finally got comfy on a Specialized Toupe.

But after a little over a year the shell broke on both sides at the thinnest spot next to cutout. Epic sag resulted.

Freak occurrence thinks I, so I'll get another, and this time I pick up a carbon rail version.

Yep - shell cracked in the exact same spot.

This is an expensive saddle we're talking about, and I'm 70kg and ride under 200km per week - hardly outside normal operating conditions.

I'm really disappointed. I simply don't want to buy another Toupe knowing it's going to fail, but I'm yet to another that suits me as much.

Grrr, can't they make a product that doesn't snap in half for goodness sake.. would that be too much to ask for?
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian

trailgumby

Re: SECOND broken Toupe, so pissed off - venting

Postby trailgumby » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:29 pm

('ve had this happen multiple times. Always at the first bend at the nose where the rails go from being parallel with the saddle to swoop down towards the area where the seatpost clamps on.

What I think happens is the Ti rails sag slightly with use, bringing the bend in the rails into contact with the saddle base which causes a localised bend in the base that it's not designed to handle, causing stresses and ultimately failure. It's happened to two Fizik saddles and a Prologo.

A carbon-railed saddle will probably be less prone to this kind of failure due to improved stiffness, but they can be prone to creaks, especially after wet rides. Buy earplugs. :lol:

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:11 pm

Yeah I'm not sure that's the same as my problem ... the crack is about mid way along the rails, perpendicular to the bike. It's clearly a case of the shell being too narrow there to support human weight.

And it's happened with a Ti rails model first, and now a carbon railed model.

Just very very poor design. Pathetic.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:42 pm

Might be an opportunity to test your rights under the consumer guarantee - get a refund. If they won't play nice, get ACCC involved for a recall.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:31 am

I'm running a Toupe on my commuter bike, although mine is the cheapest version of the Toupe, I have not had any issues with it after something like 15,000km.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:25 pm

I've got the most expensive toupe from 4 years ago.
Never had an issue with it, ride 4-8 hours a week, and I weigh 85kg.
Either the quality has dropped on later models, or maybe it is your set up and how you sit.
Your weight shouldn't be in the middle of the saddle, but towards the rear even when in the drops.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:26 am

I'd suggest it's a result of setup; I've broken two different saddles through the nose, just behind the forward rail attachment, and I'm even lighter than you. On my roadies I run a high saddle/low bar setup and tend to sit a long way forward on the saddle, which puts a lot of weight in the narrow area of the shell.

If you do tend to sit forward, I'd suggest hunting out something with a bit more robustness in that area that your bum will agree with.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:42 am

Thanks guys, I hadn't considered my position as a factor, though I still say you should be able to sit anywhere on a saddle without breaking it!

The hassle is, I've been through so many saddles to find the toupe is right for me - a time consuming and expensive process!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:50 pm

I have a mate who has everything S-works and he has the same story. After the fifth one broke, he finally stopped paying the "Specialized Tax" as we called it and bought a Prologo. He whinged for about a month, but it is the longest lasting saddle I can remember him on.

Me, I have a San Marco from 1980 still going strong and three Brooks saddles - all of which I would happily spill blood for. :twisted:
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:14 pm

ValleyForge wrote:I have a mate who has everything S-works and he has the same story. After the fifth one broke, he finally stopped paying the "Specialized Tax" as we called it and bought a Prologo. He whinged for about a month, but it is the longest lasting saddle I can remember him on.

Me, I have a San Marco from 1980 still going strong and three Brooks saddles - all of which I would happily spill blood for. :twisted:
Indeed, I've owned probably a dozen saddles over the past decade or so and the only one to have broken was a Specialized. The right rail broke and Specialized wouldn't warranty it, neither would the shop, so I went to Fair Trading and won a refund.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:18 pm

biker jk wrote:
ValleyForge wrote:I have a mate who has everything S-works and he has the same story. After the fifth one broke, he finally stopped paying the "Specialized Tax" as we called it and bought a Prologo. He whinged for about a month, but it is the longest lasting saddle I can remember him on.

Indeed, I've owned probably a dozen saddles over the past decade or so and the only one to have broken was a Specialized. The right rail broke and Specialized wouldn't warranty it, neither would the shop, so I went to Fair Trading and won a refund.
Glad to hear it. The bike industry is full of dubious characters ime.
The only saddles I've broken are Bontrager - two within 3 months of owning...5 years ago.

The saddles I'd recommend based on personal experience - Selle, Fizik...and my one Specialized Toupe Team. I also have an endurance Speclaized saddle which has been bullet proof.

For anyone less than 70kg, I'd suggest sourcing a Chinese full carbon saddle similar in design to your favorite fragile Euro/US model. Don't pay more than $120 and you should get something under 100g that suits. A few young guys I know have been happy going this path.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:22 pm

Update to this: my lbs told me it's a "known fault" ie known by Spec, and organised me a highly discounted replacement (as mine was out of warranty). Thanks LBS.

Guess what?

That one broke too.

They've replaced that too.

Jeez no wonder they don't make em anymore!

mav

Postby mav » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:05 am

They still make them although for a bit last year there was no stock. Forced me to try out a Power, Romin, Avatar. None of those really suited me like the Toupe. I haven't broken any and I'm heavier than you.

thamete

Postby thamete » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:16 am

I used to regularly break the rails on Selle San Marco Rolls. It turned out to be a combination of the saddle being set most of the way forward, the seatpost and the saddle. Changing to a seatpost with a different type of clamp solved the problem.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:29 pm

I have broken a Toupe and a Fizik Arione in the same spot.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:42 pm

Have you thought about buying the cheapest version of the saddle. They are usually more durable, ie crmo rails and thicker plastic base. The weight difference is naff all. I’m sure I’d rather an extra couple hundred grams for peace of mind.

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:46 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:I have broken a Toupe and a Fizik Arione in the same spot.
I've ridden over 80,000km on my Arione CX and it's still going strong. I used to have a Toupe on another bike but found it too harsh for my precious posterior and swapped it out for the Arione.

schroeds

Postby schroeds » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:33 am

singlespeedscott wrote:Have you thought about buying the cheapest version of the saddle. They are usually more durable, ie crmo rails and thicker plastic base. The weight difference is naff all. I’m sure I’d rather an extra couple hundred grams for peace of mind.
Yeah, I reckon if there's a next time i might do that

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:12 am

schroeds wrote:
singlespeedscott wrote:Have you thought about buying the cheapest version of the saddle. They are usually more durable, ie crmo rails and thicker plastic base. The weight difference is naff all. I’m sure I’d rather an extra couple hundred grams for peace of mind.
Yeah, I reckon if there's a next time i might do that
That's the version I have on my commuter bike. I think it cost me all of $50 new. It shows no signs of impending doom, but I currently have it on my Kickr bike as I was doing a rebuild of my commuter when the frame cracked, so I borrowed it's saddle and have since ended up with a SMP saddle that I am trialling.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi