Stiffen up or lock cheap MTB front suspension?

Arlberg

Stiffen up or lock cheap MTB front suspension?

Postby Arlberg » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:22 pm

I have bought a cheap 29er MTB for rolling around the city. Being cheap, the front suspension is very soft and there is no 'lock switch' meaning they bounce up and down terribly when riding, especially when climbing out of the saddle. As I never intend to go off road, I'm wondering if there is an easy way I can stop them from doing this. It doesn't matter if its not reversible. How can I stiffen them up or even better 'lock' them completely? Could I somehow glue them with Loctite or weld them?

trailgumby

Re: Stiffen up or lock cheap MTB front suspension?

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:31 pm

is it coil, air or elastomer? It's probably coil- is there a preload adjustment?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:35 pm

If it's a vaguely known brand, with an aftermarket distribution network, you may be able to buy a firmer spring.
Otherwise, pop the top cover off, chuck a fistful of salt down the stanchion into the spring & let nature take care of the rest......

(You can take the latter point with as large or small a grain of the aforementioned salt as you please....) :mrgreen:
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Duck! wrote:If it's a vaguely known brand, with an aftermarket distribution network, you may be able to buy a firmer spring.
Otherwise, pop the top cover off, chuck a fistful of salt down the stanchion into the spring & let nature take care of the rest......

(You can take the latter point with as large or small a grain of the aforementioned salt as you please....) :mrgreen:
made me laugh..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Duck! wrote:If it's a vaguely known brand, with an aftermarket distribution network, you may be able to buy a firmer spring.

made me laugh..
Me too! :lol:

If it's as cheap as what I'm riding the answer is just ride it and it'll take care of the locking up all by itself, even without salt

Arlberg

Postby Arlberg » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:42 pm

It was a very cheap bike, and it's still shiny and new and looks pretty good but as you say I probably wont have to add the salt myself as it will start to rust by itself.

Thanks for all the suggestions!