Slipping seat post Specialized Sequoia Elite

Parker

Slipping seat post Specialized Sequoia Elite

Postby Parker » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:45 pm

Hey Guys/Girls

I have two Specialized Sequoia Elite, 1 is mine and 1 is my partners.

We also have two slipping seat posts, we have gone out and bought two Surly Constrictor Clamps 30.0mm because it was recommended on another site where I found someone with the same problem.

The Surly Constrictor Clamp is being tightened to 9NM.

The seat post is now only slipping about 2-3mm over 50km, previously it was about 10mm over 50km.

Thanks in advance for your help, I look forward to reading any responses.

Cheers
Rowena

eeksll

Re: Slipping seat post Specialized Sequoia Elite

Postby eeksll » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:00 am

pull seatpost out, wipe off any grease, seatpost and inside tube,

then use carbon paste even if you dont have any carbon.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:10 pm

Try a different brand of seatpost. Yours my be a little undersized. Or the seattubes where over reamed before leaving the factory.

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:29 am

my seatpost was slipping about 1cm every couple of days until I got this. Been about 2 months and it hasn't moved

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:20 pm

I checked and it is a steel frame and aluminium seat post so I am not convinced that carbon paste is the right solution, I would look for a shim.If they have always slipped, I see this as a problem that the shop has to resolve. It is not their fault - likely an inherent problem or incompatibility that would be resolved with a new seat tube and/or collar.

If the bikes are out of warranty, it is harder to get the bike shop and brand to resolve you so may want to resolve yourself. You can get shims that help reduce the inside diameter by a small amount and this is a permanent fix.

I would follow the advice to make sure it is clean of grease/oil - the seat post, the shim and the seat tube.
Cycling is in my BNA

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:15 pm

tallywhacker wrote:my seatpost was slipping about 1cm every couple of days until I got this. Been about 2 months and it hasn't moved

This is an hilariously seatpost! I’m glad it works for you, we aren’t going to spend more money on it, we’re still under warranty.

Parker

Postby Parker » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:20 pm

AUbicycles wrote:I checked and it is a steel frame and aluminium seat post so I am not convinced that carbon paste is the right solution, I would look for a shim.If they have always slipped, I see this as a problem that the shop has to resolve. It is not their fault - likely an inherent problem or incompatibility that would be resolved with a new seat tube and/or collar.

If the bikes are out of warranty, it is harder to get the bike shop and brand to resolve you so may want to resolve yourself. You can get shims that help reduce the inside diameter by a small amount and this is a permanent fix.

I would follow the advice to make sure it is clean of grease/oil - the seat post, the shim and the seat tube.
I should have mentioned that we’d done the carbon paste etc...

Taking it back to the shop on Friday