The Project

Ivanerrol

The Project

Postby Ivanerrol » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:16 pm

Here's my Specialized Allez elite 2008 U.K. Spec.

Tiagra group set equipped - Triple Chainset.

Since I have a compromised lower spine it's very hard to get into the drops. Bike fitter advised flat bars.

I have an XDS RX580 Flatbar but the Specialized is better to ride.

Ergo. Over the weekend I'll be converting it to flatbar.
The front triple derailleur is getting a bit iffey anyway. The rear cassette is on it's way out.

I have managed to source some new bits at an economical price. Mix of 4700 Tiagra and 5800 105 bits with flattie controls for these.
4700 - Chainset, FD, Rear cassette plus 4700 flatbar shifters and brake levers. 5800 brakes, RD and 10 speed chain.

Next image will be the completed project

foo on patrol

Re: The Project

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:43 am

Should be goodly when ya finished with it. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:10 am

Could be interesting, looking forward to pics.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:59 pm

Not quite complete :?
Here's the frame stripped down

But here's the current stopper.
That weighs almost as much as the bike itself. I'll need to source another much lighter.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:18 am

No such thing as a lightweight adjustable stem. They also tend to wobble a lot. Best thing to do would be to use the adjustable for a while until you get your position dialled, then replace it with a rigid stem of approriate angle & length.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:28 pm

It's done.

Rides very well. I somehow doubt that the XDS RX580 Flat bar will ever again see the light of day - at least with myself on it.

I haven't yet weighed each bike - I don't have an accurate scale, however it would appears the Specialized is at least 3 - 4 kilo's lighter.
I installed the Specialized wheels and tyres on the XDS and the weight difference is still significant.

The geometry of the Specialized seems to lend it self to a more satisfying ride.

Shimano 4700 flat bar shifters. Designed for the latest cable pull. Wont work on the older roadie derailleurs. Shimano 4700 Crankset, F.D. and rear cassette. 105 calipers and 5800 rear derailleur. Brake levers designed for calipers.(very effective - I might say better than the STI's)

Shifters work very well. Much better than the old 3 speed STI Tiagra. Hoever in fairness the old FD was getting tired.

I might have over done it a bit with 52/34 cranks and 11-25 cassette. Most likely a 12-28 cassette would have been easier for the hills.

Those bars might be a snidge wide. I'll ride it for a wjile. I have a narrower flatter set with bar ends I might swap on later.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:33 pm

This was my commuter 3 years ago

XL 2010 Specialized Crossroads Elite. Weight .........17.5kg. :roll:

The XDS.

XL (59) XDS RX580 would weigh at least 5.5.kg's lighter than the Crossroads. The Specialized Allez must be near half the weight of the Crossroads.

However riding that Crossroads was like sitting in an old SEL Benz.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:35 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:It's done.

Very nice, I like it. Looks like it would be a nice ride.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:18 pm

So, after a few more days of riding the modified Specialized. Some more observations.

I needn't have worried about the tall 11-25 cassette. No problems on the hills.

The overall ride is very much improved however In my opinion it's probably more to do with the lighter wheels and groupset rather than simply changing out to flat bar. The front derailleur shifting is now effortless compared to the old three speed with STI.

It would be nice to try out the new setup with upgraded STI levers :shock:

The great thing about the upgrade is now "The bike gets out of the way" You don't need to think about the dramatic FD shifting when getting to hills - it now just happens.

I have taken the XDS out. It's much more stable and comfortable on the rough stuff (like on the Yarra trail between Kew east and Bulleen)

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:51 pm

Two possibilities on the difference in front shifting. The new long-arm derailleur design does have a fair bit more leverage than older types, which will make a considerable difference. The other possibility is that the cable wasn't routed into the old one properly.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:16 pm

The bike was serviced by a reputable bike shop.
The STI shifter was N.O.S.
The crankset was new and had two new smaller chainrings and a very good large second hand one.
They did however mention the FD was "tired"

I tried to find a Tiagra 3 speed FD but the only ones avaiable seemed to be NOS overseas.
In restrospect the XDS features Sora 3 speed FD. Most likely a 2017 Sora three speed derailleur would be the equivalent of a 2009 Tiagra.

I must say that the 3/9 speed Sora groupset on the 2016 XDS shifts flawlessly.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Ivanerrol wrote: Most likely a 2017 Sora three speed derailleur would be the equivalent of a 2009 Tiagra.
Not really. In each generation Sora and Tiagra are very similar in most parts, it's just that Tiagra has an extra gear (excpet for the 3400/4500 generation, '08-'12, where both were 9-sp, but Sora had inferior shifters).

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:21 am

Duck! wrote:
Ivanerrol wrote: Most likely a 2017 Sora three speed derailleur would be the equivalent of a 2009 Tiagra.
Not really. In each generation Sora and Tiagra are very similar in most parts, it's just that Tiagra has an extra gear (excpet for the 3400/4500 generation, '08-'12, where both were 9-sp, but Sora had inferior shifters).
Which brings up another question.
Would the 2009 year Tiagra STI shifters triple work efficiently with 2016 Sora Mech's (9 speed)?

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:49 pm

Yes.
To be honest though, there's little difference between the '07-'11 4500 Tiagra and '13-'16 3500 Sora shifters

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:19 pm

After a few weeks of running with the flat bars.

I'm beginning to think that the major improvements to the bike were really the better wheels and tyres and upgraded modern componentry.

Sure the EWAG tables are telling me the bike is more stable for my old age slight MS condition but I can't stop that feeling that drop bars would be the better outcome.

I.M.H.O.
The old triple 50/39/30 crankset with a 11-23 cassette was much more stressfull than the 52/36 with a 11-25. (Given that the triple granny was rarely ever used).

Meanwhile. I've ordered up another 10 speed cassette to install on my Shimano R500 wheels with Chinese 28 tyres. So I can change over wheels go out on the rougher bike trails.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sat May 12, 2018 10:26 pm

I've had a few other cyclists check the bike over when I've had it parked at the coffee shop.

Today I was sitting in the window of the cafe, the bike chained to the bike hoop outside.
An elderly couple came out of the cafe. They were their early eighties at least.
The husband saw the bike. Went over and stared at it. Checked the handle bars, the drive components, the wheels and even lifted the bike up to check the weight. He stood back and stared at it again.
He saw me and came over - "Where did you buy that bike" he said.
"It's an ebay Franken bike", I said "It had drop bars and I changed it to flat bars and upgraded the componentry".
"Very interesting " he said and wandered off with his wife.

Then my interest was piqued - I wonder what his back story and history with bicycles were ?