Upgrading 6770 to 11 speed...

GAV!N

Upgrading 6770 to 11 speed...

Postby GAV!N » Mon May 21, 2018 7:19 pm

Sorry if this has been asked before. I'm sure it probably has but I searched and flicked through pages to no avail.

I picked up a reasonable bargain today which has a 6770 set up. I want to convert it to 11 speed. Dr. Google has told me other than the obvious (chain/cranks/cassette etc) I should only need to change the front and rear derailleur, and possibly update the firmware. Apparently the 6770 shifters will work fine with an 11 speed set up? I also presume all the cabling is compatible across the varying di2 groups?

Has anyone else done this? How was it?

Also, I'm new to the digital world. Is it worth me getting the SM-PCE1 interface so I can update firmware and resolve problems myself? I'm normally one to fix things myself rather than going to the shop, and although it's an expensive item, I'm guessing it would pay for itself after a few trips to the LBS?

Duck!
Expert

Re: Upgrading 6770 to 11 speed...

Postby Duck! » Mon May 21, 2018 10:32 pm

You need both derailleurs, chain and cassette, and to ensure your rear wheel will fit the wider cassette. That's all for a basic conversion, but it will lack the ability to use the Synchro shift functions. To enable this you will also need to replace the external battery mount or internal battery as appropriate to your bike.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

GAV!N

Re: Upgrading 6770 to 11 speed...

Postby GAV!N » Tue May 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks. I'll give that a go. I've some reports of people doing that but it still not working until the firmware was updated, but I'll try it before I fork out the extra $. I'm not overly fussed about synchro shifting.