Dud DA Shifters (maybe RD)

Tim

Dud DA Shifters (maybe RD)

Postby Tim » Thu May 24, 2018 1:05 am

Just finished fitting up the TCR with shiny new Ultegra 6800 shifters and rear derailleur.
Original DuraAce 9000 shifters and RD have been laid to rest in the junk box.

Purchased back in 2013 I've never been 100% happy with the quality of the shifting. Over time I've tried everything; minor adjustments to everything adjustable, a variety of cables, cable guides, ferrules, various chains, cassettes, hanger alignment, the lot. The gear changes have been good (at best) but still not as crisp as the other bikes including one equipped with the much maligned DA7900, one with Ultegra 6800, another with old 105 and even a 9 speed Deore LX tourer with bar-end shifters. They all performed better than the DA9000.

On a short test ride the bike feels like new. Super smooth, fast, chatter-free gear changes. I'm stoked. :D

I think I got a rare Shimano lemon. I don't know for sure if the culprit was the shifters or the rear derailleur. I don't care any more and wanted to start afresh. I couldn't afford DA replacements so settled on next best and I'm very pleased with the result.

DA9000 had not long been released when I bought the bike and soon after Shimano released slightly modified DA9001 shifters. I don't know the nature of the modifications but I suspect that less than perfect shift quality may have had something to do with it.
I've had good, relatively high but frustrating mileage from the originals and am not really all that disappointed, especially as the fix has been so successful.
I just wonder what the difference is between DA9000 and DA9001?

g-boaf

Re: Dud DA Shifters (maybe RD)

Postby g-boaf » Thu May 24, 2018 8:38 am

Tim wrote:Just finished fitting up the TCR with shiny new Ultegra 6800 shifters and rear derailleur.
Original DuraAce 9000 shifters and RD have been laid to rest in the junk box.

Purchased back in 2013 I've never been 100% happy with the quality of the shifting. Over time I've tried everything; minor adjustments to everything adjustable, a variety of cables, cable guides, ferrules, various chains, cassettes, hanger alignment, the lot. The gear changes have been good (at best) but still not as crisp as the other bikes including one equipped with the much maligned DA7900, one with Ultegra 6800, another with old 105 and even a 9 speed Deore LX tourer with bar-end shifters. They all performed better than the DA9000.

On a short test ride the bike feels like new. Super smooth, fast, chatter-free gear changes. I'm stoked. :D

I think I got a rare Shimano lemon. I don't know for sure if the culprit was the shifters or the rear derailleur. I don't care any more and wanted to start afresh. I couldn't afford DA replacements so settled on next best and I'm very pleased with the result.

DA9000 had not long been released when I bought the bike and soon after Shimano released slightly modified DA9001 shifters. I don't know the nature of the modifications but I suspect that less than perfect shift quality may have had something to do with it.
I've had good, relatively high but frustrating mileage from the originals and am not really all that disappointed, especially as the fix has been so successful.
I just wonder what the difference is between DA9000 and DA9001?
Did a google search: da 9000 vs 9001

https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewto ... t=13015062
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... p?t=120570

And someone else grumbling about DA9000:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/compon ... 61781.html

I have to say my bikes with the Dura Ace (it might be 9001) work fine. But I never use the Shimano gear cables. I do have one bike with a hybrid Dura Ace 9000 + Ultegra 8000 rear derailleur setup (it's a medium cage RD), that also shifts perfectly.