Replace or Upgrade 9 Speed Ultegra Groupset - Cannondale R1000

blackiemate

Replace or Upgrade 9 Speed Ultegra Groupset - Cannondale R1000

Postby blackiemate » Wed May 30, 2018 2:57 pm

Hello,

I am relatively new to road cycling and have recently purchased an older model Cannondale R1000 accompanied with the original Ultegra, either 6400 or 6500 I am assuming. My LBS mechanic has recommended that within the next 6-9 months that I upgrade all the components. This being said, I have had a look online and noticed that many of the parts from this era are now superseded.

So my question(s) is as such:

1) Can I upgrade to a 10 or 11 speed groupset? - I understand I will need a new chain for 11 not for 10.
2) Is the Shimano 105 a suitable upgrade for a bike of this age, provided it is compatible and
3) Would anyone recommend to just replace parts as they decease

Any help is much appreciated!!

Cheers, B

RobertL

Re: Replace or Upgrade 9 Speed Ultegra Groupset - Cannondale R1000

Postby RobertL » Wed May 30, 2018 3:45 pm

Yes, yes and yes, but it depends on how much you want to spend and why.

Firstly, why does your LBS think that you need to upgrade? Does everything seem to work OK to you? If so, then there is no rush to upgrade.

A quick look shows 9 speed Shimano 6500 groupsets available on eBay for $150-$300 dollars. I didn't look for individual components, but they would be there too. For example, I can't imagine that you'd need to replace your brake calipers - they almost never wear out.

If you want to upgrade, then you can pretty easily upgrade to 10 or 11 speed. The easy way would be to just buy a whole new groupset and put it onto your bike. Brand new 11 speed 105 5800 (i.e previous generation) groupsets are currently $575 on Wiggle/Chain Reaction.

But I'd seriously question why your LBS thinks that you need to replace everything, and maybe go to a second LBS for another opinion.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Wed May 30, 2018 6:01 pm

Like RobertL said I would ask the mechanic what needs to be replaced and why?

A quick run down on the components and what your options are:

chain, needs replacing around every 4,000 km or so (maintenance and riding conditions do dramatically impact on chain life), the difference between 9,10 and 11 speed chains is the thickness of the plates so with a nine speed groupset you can run a 9, 10 or 11 speed chain, but for reliability stick to a 9 speed. 10 speed you need a 10 or 11 speed chain, running 9 speed chain risks premature wear on chain and cassette, ditto with 10 speed chain on 11 speed groupset.

cassette, a cassette should last two chains, has to match the shifters: ie 9 speed shifters, 9 speed cassette, 10 speed shifters and cassette, etc.

chainrings, they last for two cassettes or so. Can mix and match, I ran 9 speed chainrings on 10 speed groupset for 5,000km and currently running 11 speed chainrings on 10 speed groupset 4,000km and counting.

Your LBS mechanic might be saying all three need replacing in 6 to 9 months, why not take the opportunity and upgrade the whole groupset from worn to new.

If you want to mix and match and you can, read Duck's Tech - Compatibility Notes

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed May 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Would argue that there is no need to upgrade unless you really want to. I've done a few 9sp Ultegra/9sp 105 bikes and found them all nice to ride. Even did a 9sp 105 set up on BioPace 8sp chainrings, and that was really nice but I'm a bit odd (I like BioPace).

I'd say leave as 9sp and just replace consumables as and when they need replacing. Chances are your original 9sp cassette is something like a 12-23 and with 53/39 chainrings that may be a bit of a slog on hills. May be able to squeeze a bigger cassette in there, possibly the Ultegra 6500 12-27t which is still available from some sellers for around $60. Would give you a better range of gears for hill work whilst not detracting from speed.

Also I remember the r1000 as being a relatively stiff bike (I've only ridden one, never owned one.) Have a bit of a play around and see what sort of rubber you can squeeze under the fork to offset this. 25mm should get in there easily enough, but I'm not sure about 28s.

Aside from that, just keep it serviced and clean, and I think you'll love it. These were a good thing when they came out (2005?)
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 30, 2018 8:08 pm

blackiemate wrote:Hello,

I am relatively new to road cycling and have recently purchased an older model Cannondale R1000 accompanied with the original Ultegra, either 6400 or 6500 I am assuming. My LBS mechanic has recommended that within the next 6-9 months that I upgrade all the components. This being said, I have had a look online and noticed that many of the parts from this era are now superseded.
9-sp. is 6500. 6400 was 8-sp. and still formally branded as 600, although Shimano began to introduce the Ultegra name as a sub-title during the later years of that group's production

Answers for the following in red.
So my question(s) is as such:

1) Can I upgrade to a 10 or 11 speed groupset? - I understand I will need a new chain for 11 not for 10. Yes, however for 11-sp. you will also need to ensure you have a compatible rear wheel to fit the wider cassette. You will need an appropriate chain whether going for either 10 or 11-sp.
2) Is the Shimano 105 a suitable upgrade for a bike of this age, provided it is compatible 105 primarily differs from its concurrent Ultegra counterpart in materials. Performance is very similar within each generation.
3) Would anyone recommend to just replace parts as they decease Depends what dies. There are varying degrees of compatibility between older and newer stuff. The shifters are the bits most likely die, and while there are still current-model 9-sp. shifters available, there are differences in brake and front derailleur cable pul, which can affect total system compatibility.

Any help is much appreciated!!

Cheers, B
For more information regarding compatibility, read here!
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

blackiemate

Postby blackiemate » Thu May 31, 2018 11:38 am

10speedsemiracer wrote: Also I remember the r1000 as being a relatively stiff bike (I've only ridden one, never owned one.) Have a bit of a play around and see what sort of rubber you can squeeze under the fork to offset this. 25mm should get in there easily enough, but I'm not sure about 28s.

Aside from that, just keep it serviced and clean, and I think you'll love it. These were a good thing when they came out (2005?)
Yep mines the '04 model. Currently running 23's which is a little harsh on inner Sydney roads, maybe I'll look to replace the rear with 25mm when it's due.

blackiemate

Postby blackiemate » Thu May 31, 2018 11:41 am

RobertL wrote:
But I'd seriously question why your LBS thinks that you need to replace everything, and maybe go to a second LBS for another opinion.
I had the bike serviced yesterday and did just that. All the components are mechanically A1, a change from first thought. No recommendation to change upon further inspection. A good outcome; I'll just replace as they fail. Seems to me alot of great feedback on these kits so for an amateur just starting out, doesn't seem like the kit would deserve my money or skill!!

Thanks for your help - Now to find a riding group

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu May 31, 2018 2:28 pm

Plenty of people around here could help you find the right group, too. Where are you located?

blackiemate

Postby blackiemate » Thu May 31, 2018 2:51 pm

RobertL wrote:Plenty of people around here could help you find the right group, too. Where are you located?
Surry Hills, Sydney. I've just had someone recommend Sydney Cycling Club which starts off just down the road, which is a good start :)