Stuck Hollowtech Bottom Bracket Cup

VeloGiro

Stuck Hollowtech Bottom Bracket Cup

Postby VeloGiro » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:46 pm

Hi folks - wondering if anyone has any thoughts re removing a very stuck LHS hollowtech BB (external BB) cup. Its pretty much fused on the frame and attempts to remove it with the removal tool has rounded off the lugs.

Thinking its cut it off but not sure if that's potentially disastrous??? Any advice welcomed!

Duck!
Expert

Re: Stuck Hollowtech Bottom Bracket Cup

Postby Duck! » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:45 pm

Silly question maybe, but were you attempting to undo it the right way? Left side is a normal right thread (anti-clockwise to loosen), regardless of whether it's English or Italian thread.

*Usually* a length of pipe over the spanner to make an extension does the trick, but if you've properly munted the splines then you may have to destroy the cup to extract it.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:21 am

VeloGiro wrote: Its pretty much fused on the frame and attempts to remove it with the removal tool has rounded off the lugs.
Soak it with something like WD40 and with rounded lugs its ruined already so you can use a pipe wrench [monkey wrench] to get it off. Sharp blow with a hammer may crack it loose, with care obviously.

LG

Postby LG » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:24 am

You could try a decent set of stillsons which may just give enough purchase on the cup, or even the old fashioned technique of clamping the cup in a sturdy vice and turning the frame. The is a good chance with too much pressure though you could just deform the cup.
LG = Low Gear

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:08 am

Duck! wrote:Silly question maybe, but were you attempting to undo it the right way? Left side is a normal right thread (anti-clockwise to loosen), regardless of whether it's English or Italian thread.

*Usually* a length of pipe over the spanner to make an extension does the trick, but if you've properly munted the splines then you may have to destroy the cup to extract it.
Thanks Duck, LG and OnTrack for your suggestions...yep i was turning the right way its just that the thing is completely fused - I'll have a crack at soaking and try the Stillsons...

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:00 pm

You can buy yourself a bottom bracket removal toll which utilises a socket spanner for leverage such as this one.
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/shim ... e/SC-175GA

I have used a breaker bar attached to the tool to get stuck B.B.'s off.

Use a torque wrench to set the tension on the new B.B. cups.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 am

Ivanerrol wrote: Use a torque wrench to set the tension on the new B.B. cups.
Not really that critical with BBs - just do them up effing tight. It's more important to grease the threads so they don't get stuck again.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:53 am

+1 for what Duck said, have only once used a torque wrench on a BB and that was on a carbon Bianchi (not my bike, hence the torque wrench). I've found that ensuring the BB shell threads are clean and free from grit/rust in addition to a light coating of good grease means I can get them out again if need be...have had a stuck Hollowtech II only once (thanks to the shabby tool I was using). Think you'll have to resign yourself to vise-grips and buying a new BB.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Ancientflatulence

Postby Ancientflatulence » Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:25 am

I know nothing of working on bicycles but do know that an anti seize compound is far more effective than grease ......... you would need to figure out which type is going to be best to use though ........
http://www.loctite.com.au/lubrication-a ... e-4096.htm

Warin

Postby Warin » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:01 am

If things get really bad...

Cut the bearing into bits and remove it in those bits.. better than trying to force the threads and destroying the frames thread.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:55 am

New Shimano B.B.'s come with anti-seize already coated on the threads - but not the whole thread.
I use high temp auto wheel bearing grease on the threads - stops corrosion.
A new Shimano Hollowtech II B.B. comes with an installation tool in the box.
This tool fits into the Hollowtech I install tool.

Note that the Hollowtech I tool has a spline for winding in the plastic cup for the left had crank arm. Used to tighten in the crank arms without overtightening the BB bearings.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:14 pm

That's not a "Hollowtech 1" tool, it's an outboard bottom bracket tool. Hollowtech refers to the crank arm construction, not the bottom bracket type. Hollowtech 1 uses the Octalink spline interface.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:03 pm

Sorry for the confusion - According to Cycling Deal the tool is listed as
Shimano Hollowtech II Crankset Crank Bottom Bracket Tool

My confusion regarding Hollowtech I and II derives from the above two bottom brackets - Both are ........ hollow.
One has a larger mounting hub diameter and different spline than the other. I assumed that the smaller diameter BB was a progression from the first hence version 'I' to version "II'.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:Sorry for the confusion - According to Cycling Deal the tool is listed as
Shimano Hollowtech II Crankset Crank Bottom Bracket Tool

My confusion regarding Hollowtech I and II derives from the above two bottom brackets - Both are ........ hollow.
One has a larger mounting hub diameter and different spline than the other. I assumed that the smaller diameter BB was a progression from the first hence version 'I' to version "II'.
As Duck said, hollowtech is the crank, not the bottom bracket, named because the cranks are "hollow" in the crankarm. The bottom baracket is jsut called hollowtech becahoes its the one that goes with the crank. Hollowtech 1 cranks had the octalink bottom bracket, hollowtech 2 cranks are 2 piece and use these external bottom brackets

I had a frame where someone had used some sort of tape or something in there (M950 BB) and it so wedge in htere and the removal bits got destroyed, had to cut it out, wasn't a fun time, but got the job done.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:11 pm

Thanks all...the Stillsons, Vice-grip and the hacksaw are at the ready!

Good to know that hollowtech is the crank not the BB...my bad re nomenclature! Makes sense really as i reckon i can recall hollowtech crank-set with square BB taper...

I'll let you know how i get on...

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:06 pm

Hollowtech was never used with square taper; it started with the Octalink splined system. To be fair with the terminology, Shimano themselves don't do anything to avoid confusion; all two-piece design cranks come with the same installation leaflet referring to Hollowtech II - even those with solid arms.....

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:20 am

VeloGiro wrote:Thanks all...the Stillsons, Vice-grip and the hacksaw are at the ready!

Good to know that hollowtech is the crank not the BB...my bad re nomenclature! Makes sense really as i reckon i can recall hollowtech crank-set with square BB taper...

I'll let you know how i get on...
Have you tried using the BB removal tool in combination with a rubber mallet? That always works well enough for me. I don't know how much your BB is fused to the frame, but this approach might be worth a try.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Yep, giving a stuck nut/bolt type arrangement is often a lot more effective than trying to eert force.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

VeloGiro

Postby VeloGiro » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:40 am

Got it! after soaking...a couple of hammer taps and the old stillsons!

Thanks all...

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:57 am

Good work.