Scary dogs attacking squeaky wheel

Dinks29

Scary dogs attacking squeaky wheel

Postby Dinks29 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi all - I need help.
I'm terrified of riding past dogs as more than a few have turned nasty and chased after me while I've been riding my hybrid mountain bike. I tested my bike with a decibel reader (I couldn't hear anything but had my suspicions) and found there is a very high pitched noise coming from the back wheel when it's free spinning. Doesn't appear to happen when I'm pedalling. If anyone can suggest what might be making the noise and how to stop it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you, Deb.

Toyopet

Re: Scary dogs attacking squeaky wheel

Postby Toyopet » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:43 pm

It'd be nice to know what brand wheel or hub you have. If it's Mavic, they're known to become noisy when coasting, if not properly maintained. Search on "Mavic growl".

Warin

Postby Warin » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:49 pm

Dinks29 wrote: If anyone can suggest what might be making the noise and how to stop it, I would be most appreciative.
Keep peddling :D You knew that was coming. But it is the quickest solution - gently peddle so you keep a very little pressure onto the back wheel.

Longer term ..the 'freewheel' probably needs some lubrication. Or there is something stuck back there .. bit of leaf, wire, .. making contact from the wheel hub (the bit that goes around with the wheel) to the sprockets (the bit that stops when you stop peddling). Very careful looking might get you to see it .. or it may not be there at all.
You need to look at both sides of the sprocket - from the right hand side of the bike towards the left .. you should see the axcel clamped to the frame - not moving .. then a bit further out part of the hub - spins with the wheel .. then the sprocket - stops when you stop peddling. - look between the hub bit and sprocket bit... that is one side - the easiest to see.
Then the other side - look from the left side of the bike through the wheel to the sprocket ... the sprocket stops when you stop peddling ... but the central bit of the wheel continues .. need to look down to see h=where the bit is that is between the two .. and you will need to rotate the sprocket so you see all around it.

A good general clean can be very helpfull - both for the above looking and the oil below here... an old tooth brush to get into the small spots with some kero/turps/degreaser/meths .. anything cheap that will dissolve oil.

Nothing there? Well then try some oil on the two areas that you looked at .. it may just be a seal gone dry that is making the noise and some oil may help. Bit if that does not fix it .. the thing needs to be taken to bits and lubed. A few tools needed and some instructions .. that will need either looking up the particular hub on the web or some figuring it out as you go. Not harder than making a cake.
Last edited by Warin on Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:53 pm

Call the council ranger! Dogs shouldn't be out roaming and able to chase you.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:00 pm

There are lots of dogs hat have a thing about wheels. Squeaky or not. Some just enjoy the sport of a chase too. They ‘win’ when you get chased off their turf so will chase again next time.

As above, dogs shouldn’t be roaming around and able to chase you. If it is just one dog, try to find and alternate route.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:49 pm

Your 1st post. Don't worry, I'm not a scary dog....

Sorry for a poor sense of humour.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:07 pm

Try running from those same dogs on a unicycle! :( No chance to swing a kick or to raise the leg up.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:09 pm

Some hubs have a rubber dirt cover on the left side that tends to stay stationary with the axle while the hub spins around it, and makes a quiet, high-pitched squeak. A drip or two of a light lubricant between the rubber seal and the hub shell will shut it up.

And as per the above, dogs shouldn't be allowed to run free to terrorise people.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

uart

Postby uart » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:30 am

Dinks29 wrote: I tested my bike with a decibel reader (I couldn't hear anything but had my suspicions) and found there is a very high pitched noise coming from the back wheel when it's free spinning.
Thank you, Deb.
Hi Deb. The decibel meter is probably just picking up the normal "ting ting ting" noise of the freehub ratchet there.

I agree with others that these dogs shouldn't be out roaming around in the first place, but unfortunately your fear of dogs will also be exacerbating the problem. Dogs are pretty good and sensing fear and unfortunately some love the chase/game.

TBH, most of the dogs who do this type of thing are not actually vicious, and if you get off your bike they will back down very quickly (but don't try to confront them, just ignore them and walk it). I know that this is hard if you are very frightened of dogs, but perhaps if you have friends who own dogs you could try to familiarize yourself with dogs and have them help overcome your fear. (Let me be clear, I understand that you shouldn't have to do this, it's the dog owners that shouldn't let them roam, but working on your fear of dogs will help you in these situations.)

Mediocratus

Postby Mediocratus » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:02 pm

Uart is right about dogs sensing fear. Back in the day when I was a postie on a bike and dogs on the loose was the normal thing I found that brandishing a bike pump at them with a look that said "Come a bit closer and I will belt you between the eyes" made most of them back off. You have to look like you really mean it and will enjoy doing it. I never had to actually do it.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:04 pm

Grease the hub???
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL