replace cells in Ay-Up battery

hamishm

replace cells in Ay-Up battery

Postby hamishm » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:16 pm

Has anyone opened an Ay-Up battery and tried to replace the cells?
Mine are old and don't seem to run very long any more. They haven't been used too much in a few years which is supposedly bad for them. I'm wondering if they are just full of standard cells which could be replaced.

DrShifty

Re: replace cells in Ay-Up battery

Postby DrShifty » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:50 pm

I've not done Ay-Up in particular but have found 'non-replaceable' cell replacement to be of two types, each using standard cells.

Either it's a flat cell with a lead and the difficulty is unsticking if from the circuit board without doing damage. The other type is AA cells connected with tabs of stainless steel that have been either spot welded or pierce-crimped onto the ends of the cells.

I've cut the skin of flat cells around the edge to lift out the components. The danger is bridging across the electronics inside but with care it can be done and the old skin makes the bed for the new cell.

If it's round cells that need spot-welds, places like Battery World can sometimes do a refurb.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:28 pm

I'd like to see the inside if you do open it up. I plan to do it when my battery needs replacing.

I suspect its the square type lithium polymer batteries in there. Those can be sourced from places like ebay just pipe in a similar dimension to the battery its replacing. However I don't know where you would find decent quality batteries of this type for replacement even if you where willing to pay more.

Or you might get lucky and there is existing RC toy battery with similar sizing you could just drop in (and be able to source a decent quality one too)

If battery packaging is not an issue and the circuit board is removable from the existing battery, you could pretty much use any 7.4 volt lithium polymer/ion battery for remote control toys. But then you lose the nice packaging of the system.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:57 pm

I was thinking vaguely along the lines of a non-branded replacement, and sort of had Battery World in mind but wasn't sure this would be an option but as DrShifty has said, it may well be worth exploring this. Maybe one of the 7.4v 3000mah rc-car batteries could be adapted. Imagine it's only a question of a connector...and there are soldering irons...

Maybe : this, which has much more capacity, and is better cheaper than the $120 AyUp are asking for a replacement SLB-01
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 am

An led light system consists of 4 components - (1) leds (2) battery (3) a circuit that limits the current to the leds & (4) a battery management system that ensures the battery doesn't go under or over voltage. 3 is normally in the light head & 4 is normally in the battery box.

Ay-up however is unique in having 3 & 4 in the battery box - it means you cannot simply replace the battery but must open it up to re-use the circuit.

lightbulbjim

Postby lightbulbjim » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:26 pm

According to the product page (https://ayup-lights.com/batteries?product_id=96) you can buy replacement cells for $25.

hannos

Postby hannos » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:28 pm

For the SLB-01 perhaps.
I don't think there's any replacement parts for my old Ay-Up battery, which died last month (after 9+ years)
2010 BMC SLC01

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:13 pm

hannos wrote:For the SLB-01 perhaps.
I don't think there's any replacement parts for my old Ay-Up battery, which died last month (after 9+ years)
Mine are ancient - an Epic and and a Half-Epic from 2010-2011. Still working although not for the original 6 hours any more.

I have 4 batteries in total which I needed for some long rides I did in 2010-2013 but now I definitely fail Ay-Up's (new) "If you intend to use them once or twice a year, our batteries are not for you. " test. Unfortunately on that basis I'd have to buy something else if I was looking for a light to use on an annual epic only. Or go back to the dynamo.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:52 pm

Mine are hanging in there - various ages - and I can't tell clearly which are the older packs.

They have been so good for so long, I'd use the AyUp solution if & when I need to. So would like to see how this ends...
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:58 pm

hamishm wrote:
hannos wrote:For the SLB-01 perhaps.
Mine are ancient - an Epic and and a Half-Epic from 2010-2011. Still working although not for the original 6 hours any more.

I have 4 batteries in total which I needed for some long rides I did in 2010-2013 but now I definitely fail Ay-Up's (new) "If you intend to use them once or twice a year, our batteries are not for you. " test. Unfortunately on that basis I'd have to buy something else if I was looking for a light to use on an annual epic only. Or go back to the dynamo.
sounds like you have plenty, so can cut one up and see the circuitry :mrgreen:

you can even try a massive RC battery for your annual epic.

having said that, a $25 cell replacement for those new batteries is an amazing offer. I am also amazed they are still around since they have lost the lumen per dollar race years ago. Its good to know I can get parts if I needed.

I am a bit surprised with the "not-good" on the once or twice a year use, I have cheapy 18650 lithium-ion batteries in cheapy torches from DX 5+ years ago, they still work for the occasional use and i charge them less than once a year.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:10 pm

I have found Ayup very helpful in the past. They refurbed a failed battery unit for me even though I'd bought secondhand. Drop them a line.