Effects of running a 29 fork on a 27.5 frame

open roader

Effects of running a 29 fork on a 27.5 frame

Postby open roader » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:35 pm

I've recently purchased a 27.5 MTB frame.

I will be running boost hub spacing sized 27.5 / 650b wheels with this frame so I know I need a 29 boost width fork.

My frame is designed to run a 160mm travel 27.5 fork.

I'm interested to know what the effects of running a 29 fork on my 27.5 frame are.

I understand the steering will be slackened a little by using a longer fork, however, I was considering running a 150mm travel 29 fork to shorter it all up a tad.

I'm intending to use this build for tooling about on easy/moderate trails, no major downhill stuff or super fast stuff ie) no demanding riding.

My reasons are twofold :-

1) I want to run '+' sized tyres in conjunction with a mid-length mudguard that mounts right under the arch and need ample clearance to avoid pebble jamming
2) There is a wider range of better priced 29 forks available to me inside my budget at the moment compared to 27.5 forks that are fewer and more expensive, esp. on the 2nd hand market.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

Duck!
Expert

Re: Effects of running a 29 fork on a 27.5 frame

Postby Duck! » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:59 pm

The difference in length as far as accommodating the larger wheel is about 15mm; the difference in head angle and its effect on steering will be very minor. Fitting a slightly shorter travel fork will almost completely counter the extra length in the lower, so will end up very, very close to what the frame is designed for.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

open roader

Re: Effects of running a 29 fork on a 27.5 frame

Postby open roader » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:16 pm

Thanks Duck, I figured a reduced travel 29 fork might come close to stock 27.5 fork. I'm no enduro champ and prob. would not notice any difference either way - just happy to tool along.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking