Replacing tubular: rim tape question

nemo57

Replacing tubular: rim tape question

Postby nemo57 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:38 am

Comrades
Not so long ago I replaced a couple of dodgy singles with beaut new ones, using rim tape - Jantex - for the first time. Now the front has got itself an annoying slow flat that's too big to seal properly but will hold about 50 psi ok, so I might carry it for emergencies. A pity, for they are just so luxurious to ride on (and expensive). But to my issue ...
Should I replace the rim tape when I replace the tyre? Or just add a fresh layer on top?

nemo57

Re: Replacing tubular: rim tape question

Postby nemo57 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 11:40 am

Answered my own question: replace it.
Thank you all for your attention: carry on!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:50 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:45 pm

nemo57 wrote:Comrades
Now the front has got itself an annoying slow flat that's too big to seal properly but will hold about 50 psi ok, so I might carry it for emergencies.
Before binning any tubular at my place I always add more sealant (caffelatex) and try and replace/clean the valve core.

You'd be surprised.....
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:03 pm

Yep: I've added plenty of goo, but the hole is just a tiny bit too big to hold pressure above about 50 psi: still gives out a latex mist over bike and me legs. That was what first alerted me to it: the tyre wasn't flat, but was lowish and a bit squirmy. If it were better, it would seal properly; if it were worse it wouldn't seal at all. I seem to have hit the perfect sized glass fragment.
But since I haven't used the wheel for a few weeks, I'll give the tyre another try. Maybe it's healed itself.

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:57 pm

Add some sealant with glitter flakes in it, of varying size if possible.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Now there's an idea ... shall do. Now I've got a similar one on the rear, and this tubular lark is otherwise becoming quite expensive. I understand why my mentor has lent me some clinchers: no problem with those over a couple of thousand K. But on the other hand, the singles are so nice to ride on ...

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:52 pm

People claim success with dog hair.
I guess your own clippered hair too.

Really you are just looking for some filler chunks so one chunk wedges in the hole and is enough to let the goo seal around it.