Shimano XTR brakeline inserts and olives

open roader

Shimano XTR brakeline inserts and olives

Postby open roader » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:59 pm

Just a quicky - I'm a complete novice regarding the intricacies of the Shimano XTR component line up.

I have a set of current model M9000 XTR brakes (2nd hand) and am building up an internally routed MTB frame.

I have successfully routed the rear brake line through the frame and now need to re-fit an insert and olive to the end of the hose.

Does anyone know :-

1) what is a good tool to use to trim the end of the brake hose nice and square? (I don't own a pair of proper bicycle cable snips....)

and

2) Is the Shimano BH59-BH63 inset and olive combo compatible with current XTR brake levers? (coming from Campag. gruppo background I simply don't trust universality across different component levels :-)
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking

MichaelB

Re: Shimano XTR brakeline inserts and olives

Postby MichaelB » Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:41 pm

Really sharp knife if you don't want to buy the tool.

Shimano Techdocs are your friend. Look up the exploded views and check the part numbers. They are a great resource and easy to use.

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:33 pm

MichaelB wrote:Really sharp knife if you don't want to buy the tool.

Shimano Techdocs are your friend. Look up the exploded views and check the part numbers. They are a great resource and easy to use.
Excellent - just worked it through Techdocs - I need the SM-BH90-SBM kit!

Cheers!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:57 am

As MichaelB says, a really sharp knife (preferably in conjuction with a good square edge to cut against) will do the job to cut the hose. M980-onward XTR (and down at least to M666 SLX & possibly M615 Deore for anyone else wondering) uses the BH90 hose, which has a smaller bore/thicker wall than BH59/63 hose, so needs the barb insert to suit. The olive is shared with all Shimano hoses, because the outside diameter is the same.

You'll also need to ram the barb into the hose, which can be difficult because by necessity is is a very tight fit. Shimano provide clamping blocks (which double as a cutting guide) that allow you to secure the hode in a bench vice without crushing the hose, but you probably didn't get these with a second-hand brake set; clamp the hose in the blocks and use a hammer to tap the barb in until it;s snug with the end of the hose. Heating the hose slightly to soften it can help with getting the barb in. If you feel like lashing out, Jagwire do a really awesome tool for driving barbs in.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:30 am

I have the clamping blocks and a vice so a decent box cutter with a new blade will do me. Many thenks Duck - I have the updated barbed insert kit ordered and on it's way..........!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:57 am

open roader wrote:
Excellent - just worked it through Techdocs - I need the SM-BH90-SBM kit!

Cheers!
:lol: The Shimano Techdocs are a GREAT resource. Have used them many times

Sometimes, you don't need the whole hose kit.

I've often bought just the barb and olives locally (from Pushys). Do a google search on the Shimano part numbers and you'll be surprised what turns up. The parts are usually a couple of $$ each.

Of course, if you need the hose, then the kit is the way to go.

open roader

Postby open roader » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Yeah, I ordered just the insert and the olive - from Pushy's - already dispatched - quite refreshing really.........