Which performance alloy road bike clincher wheelset/components/configuration?

Ross

Which performance alloy road bike clincher wheelset/components/configuration?

Postby Ross » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:30 am

I've been using Dura Ace C24 wheels for a number of years and have been generally happy with their performance, except the braking surface of the rim seems soft and thin and I wear out a set (mostly the front) in around 18 months of riding. Repalcement C24 rims are around the same price as complete new wheelset, before I add the cost of paying someone to swap the rims over and replacing any spokes that may break while doing this.

So thinking if going with a different brand for next time but want to have similiar weight (~1400g) and performance.

One option I have been looking at is DT Swiss Alloy Road Wheelset with 240s Hubs and RR411 rims and DT Aerolite aero bladed spokes (28 front & 28 rear (this seems like overkill for my weight of 69kg, also taking into account C24s are 16 front/20 rear). Similiar weight and similiar $$ to the C24s.

There is an option of brass or alloy spoke nipples - which is better and why? I know alloy is lighter but more interested from a functionality POV.

Also there is option of 36t hub ratchet upgrade for extra ~$100 or 54 t upgrade for ~$120 - do I need either of these and why? Stock is 18 t I believe, don't know what C24s are.

Then there is spoke configuration - two cross or radial. The C24s are radial front and two cross at the rear, should I option the same for this DT Swiss wheelset? Never had any problems with the C24s going out of true or breaking spokes.

What other wheels should I look at (inc custom build)? I weigh 69kg. Wheels are for general racing and training, don't want carbon (yes I know C24s are carbon laminate). Budget is up to $1100ish. Not planning on running tubeless.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Which performance alloy road bike clincher wheelset/components/configuration?

Postby Duck! » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:19 pm

Aluminium nipples are a Bad Idea. They're soft, prone to fatigue, corrosion and self-destruction. The weight diffetence is about 50g in a 64-spoke wheelset, so not worth the compromise.

Dura-Ace hubs have 10-degree/36t ratchet engagement.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

queequeg

Re: Which performance alloy road bike clincher wheelset/components/configuration?

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Ross wrote:I've been using Dura Ace C24 wheels for a number of years and have been generally happy with their performance, except the braking surface of the rim seems soft and thin and I wear out a set (mostly the front) in around 18 months of riding. Repalcement C24 rims are around the same price as complete new wheelset, before I add the cost of paying someone to swap the rims over and replacing any spokes that may break while doing this.

So thinking if going with a different brand for next time but want to have similiar weight (~1400g) and performance.

One option I have been looking at is DT Swiss Alloy Road Wheelset with 240s Hubs and RR411 rims and DT Aerolite aero bladed spokes (28 front & 28 rear (this seems like overkill for my weight of 69kg, also taking into account C24s are 16 front/20 rear). Similiar weight and similiar $$ to the C24s.

There is an option of brass or alloy spoke nipples - which is better and why? I know alloy is lighter but more interested from a functionality POV.

Also there is option of 36t hub ratchet upgrade for extra ~$100 or 54 t upgrade for ~$120 - do I need either of these and why? Stock is 18 t I believe, don't know what C24s are.

Then there is spoke configuration - two cross or radial. The C24s are radial front and two cross at the rear, should I option the same for this DT Swiss wheelset? Never had any problems with the C24s going out of true or breaking spokes.

What other wheels should I look at (inc custom build)? I weigh 69kg. Wheels are for general racing and training, don't want carbon (yes I know C24s are carbon laminate). Budget is up to $1100ish. Not planning on running tubeless.
I have a set of HED Ardennes wheels, which come in pretty close the C24's for weight.With your weight, you'd be able to get away with the low spoke count. Stock, they are 18 spokes radial up front, and 24 spokes 2-cross at the rear.

The lightest ones are the Arndennes Black, followed by the SL, and they get slightly heavier as you go down the range due to swapping out for heaver hubs, different bearings etc. The stock ones on my Cervelo R5 are the Ardennes Plus LT.

If you are going custom, you can build a wheel around the HED Belgium Plus Rim, which is the same rim as the Ardnennes wheelsets.

I built myself a wheelset to take to Europe for Alpine riding (sadly, didn't get to go due to injury). However, I did a 24/32 spoke count using DT Aerolite Spokes with brass nipples, DT240s hubs (Standard J-Bend Spokes), and laced both the front and rear as 2-cross. I weighed 78kg at the time. The reason for the 32 spoke rear wheel was because I popped a spoke on my Arndennes wheels when doing the Alpine 320km, just before back of falls creek. It left my bike unridable as the wheel got wedged into the chainstay it was so far out of true (from one spoke!), and my crappy two sided spoke tool started to round off the alloy nipples as I tried to true out the wobble. I couldn't fix it, and it ended my day, stranded in the middle of nowhere, destroyed my chance of qualifying for an Audax award for the entire year, and nearly had my tossing my bike down the ravine.

But I digress...

The new wheelset, despite the 14 extra spokes and brass nipples, weighed in at 1530g, which was only 30g heavier than the HED Arndennes Plus LT stock wheels. The custom wheels are utterly bomb proof. Total cost, including the build was $1000. Ok, I cheated - I built the wheels myself, so labour cost was zero. I had debated just getting the C24 wheels, but one downside was that for my ride, I was required to take spare spokes with me. Sourcing spare spokes for the C24 was proving difficult, but by building my own wheels I just ordered extra spokes for each length, and since they are standard DT Swiss J-Bend spokes, easily replaceable. In a pinch, you can use a standard round spoke until an aerobladed one can be found. With a C24, you are unlikely to find any shop that has spokes in stock or readily available.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:55 pm

If you don't want to stuff around with hand builds then Fulcrum Racing Zero's are the best alloy brake track wheels in my opinion. They are just bullet proof and spin really well. Not as light as the DA C24s but I was a little disappointed with my last set of C24s (9000s - I actually preferred the 7900 for some reason that I couldn't really put my finger on). Spokes for the Zeros are proprietary but seem to always find them on ebay.

My hand build wheelset project has gone south waiting to do. I got as far as the hubs (White Industries) and then wanted some Enve 3.4 SES Rims but looks like they only come in 20/24 holes which don't match my hubs (28H). So back to the drawing board maybe permanently on hold...
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:04 am

how about Craftworx's ligthtest alloy wheels?

https://www.craftworxcycling.com/collec ... ike-wheels

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:01 pm

caneye wrote:how about Craftworx's ligthtest alloy wheels?

https://www.craftworxcycling.com/collec ... ike-wheels
They look interesting. Are they H plus Son Archtype Rims rebranded ? Hubs must be fairly light also, wonder what they are. Look good though.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL