Brooks saddle failure

bgorton

Brooks saddle failure

Postby bgorton » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:22 pm

The tensioning bolt on a four and a half year old Brooks Team Pro Saddle broke recently when I was adjusting it. The failure seems to be due to fatigue, there is a small corroded area adjacent to the break, and I sent a photograph and warranty claim to Chain Reaction from whom I bought the saddle. CR acknowledged the claim and passed it on to Brooks who replied that the saddle was out of warranty and could be repaired at a cost of GBP45.00. Can't imagine what the postage would add to that.

On asking for a bolt I was told that would be GBP20.00, along with a warning that it would be a very difficult to fit.

Three other of my bikes have Brooks saddles, the oldest was bought 12 or 13 years ago, and I have valued their comfort and quality.

Has anybody else experienced this type of failure? It surprises me that Brooks didn't comment on what looks like fatigue and simply said the saddle is out of warranty.

Baalzamon

Re: Brooks saddle failure

Postby Baalzamon » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:53 pm

I had this happen to a B17. Contacted abbotsford cycles. Sent the saddle off to them and they replaced the bolt. This was years ago so can't rem $$$
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:05 pm

I think I've broken 2 tensioning bolts on one of my B17 saddles, to be fair it has done about 45,000KMs. They do break occasionally, not that hard to fix. I went to Abbotsford Cycles just last week, they put the new one on while I stood there. My saddle is very loose so easy to replace the bolt.

I figure even parts of a Brooks saddle wear out.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bgorton

Postby bgorton » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:16 am

Interesting that you had a bolt replaced last week DavidS, could you tell me how much it cost. Brooks quoted the equivalent of $35 Aussie dollars for a bolt, and $79 to repair the saddle;e, including the cost of the bolt.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:47 pm

Hmm, can't actually remember the price of the bolt, they put it on for nothing though, I was just going to ride home on the saddle as it was (had ridden there as it broke on the way to work). I think the bolt was $14. I got a spare, I think it was their last and apparently Brooks don't have an Australian distributor any more so might be hard to get one. I reckon the price might be because they have to get it in from overseas.

I would try and get a bolt from an online bike shop and fit it myself, it can be fiddly and a bit difficult but I have done it myself on the same saddle when it was much tighter and quite doable.

DS

bgorton

Postby bgorton » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:50 am

Thanks David, the bolt is available from Amazon for $9.00 so I'll get started down that path. Very grumpy about the price quoted from Brooks , $35.00!

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:19 pm

$9 is a good price, hopefully it won't be too hard to get it on.

DS

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:04 am

Hmmm. I used to have a brooks B17 saddle. The virtue of them was that they moulded to your anatomy WITH CONSIDERABLE RIDING/TIME and discomfort. Frankly, the cost of the saddle is not as great as the cost of commitment to wearing it in.

To me that extended effort and discomfort indicates that the product is bought only for long-term use.

I'd suggest that any reasonable assessment on the facts that the OP presented would indicate that the saddle has NOT met that expectation.

My B17 lasted from early into my riding career to the day I finished. Prolly around 150,000 to 200,000kms. The OP's should still be going strong.

Whether it's worth the effort to duke it out or not, I reckon that someone (your retailer) is in contravention of the ACL.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:16 am

bgorton wrote:Thanks David, the bolt is available from Amazon for $9.00 so I'll get started down that path. Very grumpy about the price quoted from Brooks , $35.00!
Unless that is the US Amazon site, if it is you won't be able to proceed with your purchase. Try Gerry Harvey.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:38 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Hmmm. I used to have a brooks B17 saddle. The virtue of them was that they moulded to your anatomy WITH CONSIDERABLE RIDING/TIME and discomfort. Frankly, the cost of the saddle is not as great as the cost of commitment to wearing it in.

To me that extended effort and discomfort indicates that the product is bought only for long-term use.

I'd suggest that any reasonable assessment on the facts that the OP presented would indicate that the saddle has NOT met that expectation.

My B17 lasted from early into my riding career to the day I finished. Prolly around 150,000 to 200,000kms. The OP's should still be going strong.

Whether it's worth the effort to duke it out or not, I reckon that someone (your retailer) is in contravention of the ACL.
I must be lucky, my B17s have both been really comfortable from day 1. I figure I will get less out of them than 150K as I do tighten the tension bolt a fair bit, just the way I like it I suppose. Can't complain about 50K though. Was looking at a Swallow recently and wondering if it would be as nice as a B17.

DS

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:06 pm

twowheels wrote: Unless that is the US Amazon site, if it is you won't be able to proceed with your purchase. Try Gerry Harvey.
Amazon have reversed that decision; we can now buy from their US site.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:24 pm

redsonic wrote:
twowheels wrote: Unless that is the US Amazon site, if it is you won't be able to proceed with your purchase. Try Gerry Harvey.
Amazon have reversed that decision; we can now buy from their US site.
Cool, thx for letting me know, Amazon didn' t.