Tubeless tyres - am I doing something wrong

uad782

Tubeless tyres - am I doing something wrong

Postby uad782 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi everyone,

It seems I need to re-inflate my gravel king tyres weekly (700x40?). They are tubless on Stans Crest rims using orange seal. They seemed to seat well when I fit them. I also have some Maxxis Ikon tyres 29x2.25 (on Stans Arch) which rarely need inflating.

My only thought is that they may loose roughly the same amount of air but the proportion in the gravel kings is much higher.

Duck!
Expert

Re: Tubeless tyres - am I doing something wrong

Postby Duck! » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:15 pm

Higher pressure, smaller volume and probably lower sealant quantity in the gravel tyres are likely all contributing to the sealant having dried out faster than in the MTB tyres. Faster pressure loss compared to when newly fitted is a classic symptom of dried out sealant.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:05 am

I'm running the Gravel kings 700 x 43 on some giant 18ishID tubeless wheels with orange sealant. I've found the orange great in my 27.5+ tires (2.8 & 3), but a bit soso in the GK's. I was topping up 3mthly, but recently had a flat rear. Decided to take off clean up and redo sealant. It was dry and could see where it had pooled when tire was sitting, different to Stans which balls up. It took a bit of cleaning off, especially around the bead. Ended up using some sandpaper around the bead. I'll try topping up every 2mths this time with 25ml and see how that goes, while researching other sealants. I'll keep using the orange with the +'s though.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Tubeless tyres on my rd bike lose between 20 and 30 psi a week, between weekly rides. normal , mtn bike tyes lose between 5 and 10 psi a week, lower pressure, less lose
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:46 pm

Don't get Vittoria Track tubs, they lose 50psi over night. In my experience, all tyres/tubes will lose pressure over the week, it maybe 5psi or more but it's no biggy as you should check them weekly, whether they have tubes or not or tubs. :idea:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

uad782

Postby uad782 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:46 pm

Thanks everyone