Adding new tubeless sealant

uad782

Adding new tubeless sealant

Postby uad782 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Hi again,

What do most people do when adding new sealant to a tubeless tyre. It has been three months since I put some in my tyres.

I was going to
- remove the tyre
- syphon what left
-clean the tyre
-remount and readd sealant.

It seems quite involved. However I think this is better than if I just recharged the tyre by randomly adding more sealant.

Thanks

Duck!
Expert

Re: Adding new tubeless sealant

Postby Duck! » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:08 pm

If you have valves with removeable cores (most do, but there are a few exceptions) it's super easy. Remove the valve core. If you want to check the liquidity of the existing sealant, rotate the wheel so the valve is at the bottom (before removing the core), let it sit for a minute or so for the sealant, if any, to pool at the bottom of the tyre, then use a spoke or something similar down the valve stem as a dipstick. If it comes out dry or with only a very shallow indication, top up.

To top up, rotate the wheel slightly so the valve is not quite at the bottom (so the new sealant can flow away from the valve and not back it up), inject the desired amount of sealant, reinsert the valve core, pump up the tyre, and go for a ride. No need at all to remove the tyre & all that other guff.

If on the off chance you have valves without removeable cores, unseat the bead on one side of the tyre, and then use a tyre lever to begin removing that side of the tyre, but only pick open a small section near the valve. Inject sealant through that sector of tyre, reseat, inflate and go.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:09 am

25ml syringes are available from chemists which work well for me. Just squeeze in slowly and remove slowly with a cloth over incase of a little blow back - onto disc. I replace value cores regularly as well - are cheep in bulk from some online stores (or 99 bikes were good)
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.

CycloVelo

Postby CycloVelo » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:53 am

One tip about using syringes is to pull back before injecting the sealant. This draws some of the air out of the tyre, and reduces the risk of blowback.

jackthelad

Postby jackthelad » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:51 pm

I never clean the tyres between adding sealant
lazy, but practical, i use the Stans injector, i have mtn and rd tubeless
SantaCruz HighTower LT
SantaCruz Blur XC Carbon
Kona Kula Supreme(Retired/Spare)
Surly Karate Monkey
Ribble Rd Bike

uad782