Track Race Report Thread

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Track Race Report Thread

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:47 pm

Row-D wrote:Try this: [shareyoutube]http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=yout ... D-xXz7kil0[/shareyoutube]
Embarrishing
But I was recovering from the flu, so to qualify for the final was much more than I expected
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:22 pm

Wednesday Track Racing. Bundahdome.

Well the weather was good, there were no conflicting commitments so it was time to go track racing. For a change we managed to get there early enough to do a warm up for 10 or 15 minutes. We tried some accelerations out of the saddle, and one in. It was pretty obvious that there was only a little benefit in getting out of the saddle, but a couple of unplanned deviations made it clear that we weren’t ready to try this in a bunch. The seated acceleration felt ok this time.

8 lap scratch race.

We found ourselves at the back of the bunch at the start so we lost our customary 20m by the back straight. A couple of riders managed to drop in ahead of us having done a turn on the front before we managed to tack on a couple of laps in. After that it was a fairly quiet affair, just ticking the laps down. As luck would have it we hit the front with 2 laps to go. Just the wrong spot to hit the front, but it has to happen to someone I guess. It is too far out to try and lead out, but too close to the end to swing up and head for the back of the bunch. Without many options available to us we simply marked time for a lap with a bit in reserve for a surge at the bell. Just as we started our surge Steve came past at the bell and quickly opened a gap. We lifted the pace as best we could but there was no bringing Steve back. Not surprisingly we were also providing a pretty good lead out and two more drew level in the final bend and eased ahead before the line. 4th wasn’t a bad result for us I guess.

2 lap TT

Not much to say, we started as best we could, rode as hard as we could and finished completely empty.

Snowball

I’d not ridden a Snowball before. This was to be 10 laps, with points to the first across the line for each lap increasing from 1 point for the first and 10 points for the last. We lined up at the front and at the start we simply wound up to speed as best we could. We put in a surge in the final bend, and managed to hold off a lone challenge for the first point. After that we maintained as much pace as we could, and surged again for the second sprint but this time we got done by half a wheel. That was enough for us, so we swung up and looked for some shelter. I was pleased that there had been a split in the bunch and there were only 3 others still in the action. We dropped down to the back of the quartet. Shortly afterwards Steve put in a surge off the front and only one was able to go with him. I thought that there was still a chance to pick up some late points if we could work together and bring him/them back. We worked some turns with our companion, and we did manage to bring back the other rider, however in the end Steve was simply too strong and rode away with the remainder of the points.

6 lap Graded Handicap

This time we lined up at the back again, with the whole field in front of us. B grade went first with the better part of a lap advantage, so much so that I wondered whether anyone was going to latch onto our wheel and get dragged up into the A grade bunch. This time due to the faster start we took nearly two laps to get into contact with the back of the bunch. By this time the bunch was moving fast and were closing the gap to B grade but it was far from clear that we would get there in time. Steve decided that he would make it clear and again rode away from the bunch with a friend. He caught B grade with time to spare and riding away from everyone again in the process. We were never going to catch Steve but there was still a chance of catching B grade with a few laps to go. There were a couple of mates to ride with but every time someone pulled up in front they seemed to disappear. With just under 2 laps to go we swung up to let someone through but there was no one there. ☹ Back down to the black line we went and put our heads down but it was not enough. We managed to get past a couple of B graders who had slipped off the back, but only got to within a couple of bike lengths of the back of the bunch by the line.

All in all it was a heap of fun, it’s nice to be contesting finishes for a change. We’re pretty happy with the 49/14 gear too, so that might be the default for a while.

Cheers,

Cameron

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Good stuff Cameron and I think that gear is 94.5, isn't it? 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Sounds like good fun ironhanglider

What's the track like since the modification?

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:22 pm

The track is greatly improved but it is still quirky.

The grip levels have gone up significantly, and the transitions are much more gradual.

I would have liked them to take the opportunity to slacken the angle of the banking. but I suppose that the cost of the earthworks would have counted against that. It is also quite bumpy.

Cheers,

Cameron

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:21 pm

So use my training wheels by the sound of it

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:43 pm

Sorry Mike,
I should have replied earlier. There is nothing about the track that will break wheels so use whatever makes you happy is my motto. Discs wouldn't be my first choice outdoors though.

Back to the race reports.

Here is the report from the newsletter.

After the preceding two track sessions were washed out, it was a relief to have warm sunny weather for the Wednesday 17 December track session. The roll up was 18 riders, attracted by the Christmas Wheel Race and the following drinks and snacks.

The A and B Grade scratch races were each eight laps. The A Grade began at a fast pace with an initial three man break that expanded to five as Steve Jones and Jim Davey hauled it in. The final sprint was keenly contested and the surprise was to see Aaron Sedgmen hold off Steve Jones by a quarter of a wheel. Michael Langdon brought up third. The B Grade scratch held an even pace until one and a half laps from the finish when the hammer dropped along with a struggling Graeme O’Neill. The remaining riders contested a bunch sprint from which Phil Anderson emerged the victor in a close battle with Steve Hirsler and Bruce Griffin.

The Christmas Wheel Race was an all in affair with 17 riders from A and B Grade starting at their various handicaps. It was a little difficult to keep track of developments in this race. Front markers were past their first lap before the back markers took off. The lap-board could not give everyone a clear indication of their lap position. However, the race proceeded in a good spirit. Back marker Steve Jones found his handicap insurmountable. However, a back group with Michael Langdon, Aaron Sedgmen and Ben Robey initially looked a good prospect to catch the front runners. However, they slightly misjudged the required pace and dropped out of contention as the race progressed. Ben Davis realised that he was a good prospect and made a courageous break, with three laps to go. However, Andrew Peel closed to within 10 metres of Ben and eventually chased him down and overtook him for a fine win. Cameron Ermert and John Barlow on the tandem just kept hammering for the whole race and took a well deserved third place.

The track session concluded with A and B Grade Team Pursuits. Good strategy is essential for these races with best results produced by protecting the weaker team riders. In A Grade, Steve Jones marshalled his team well and Team 1 took a good win. Team 2 made a tactical error by allowing Glen Heward to take a turn of pace. This tired Glen just sufficiently to compromise the team effort, despite his huge effort to hang on as the pace quickened.

Major place getters were as follows:
8 Lap Scratch: (A Grade) Aaron Sedgmen, Steve Jones, Michael Langdon; (B Grade) Phil Anderson, Steve Hirsler, Bruce Griffin.
6 Lap Christmas Wheel Race (Trophy Race): Andrew Peel, Ben Davis, Cameron Ermert & John Barlow (Tandem)
6 Lap Team Pursuit : (A Grade Winners) Ben Davis, Aaron Sedgemen, Gary Waldron, Steve Jones, Ben Robey, Cameron Ermet & John Barlow (T); (B Grade Winners) Steve Hirsler, Pat Rooke, Phil Anderson

Merry Christmas,
Graeme O'Neill

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:03 pm

Getting flogged at the DHBC carnival at Tempe!

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:33 pm

KGB wrote:Getting flogged at the DHBC carnival at Tempe!
me too :roll:

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Haha. Was a good night.

Race program was:
Warm up scratch
Wheel race
1 lap race, 4up
Mystery race (eg 8 laps plus 1-10 laps depending on a card drawn by the bell ringer)
Eliminations or a mini madison for those keen.

I rode B grade and was generally near the front but not close enough to be in the money.
I also rode the madison, my first for a while (but have done a bit of madison training this season). I was paired up with "Bro", a young guy from DHBC who was a good match. We were a similar size and ability and both didn't want to die for a minor place. With guys like scott law, jackson law and tirian mcmanus in the field it was a very varied field and ladies teams were withdrawn. Bro and I got in a good few slings but were soon dropped as the race shattered to pieces, then we missed a change amongst some confusion which left me suffering away and losing the lap.

Not incredibly successful on paper but a great night none the less. Good to race on tempe again, the big 333m track, haha. It's been a while.

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:50 pm

Oh, and I was a bit under geared. It's been ages since I race an open on an outdoor track so I just went with 90 and didn't bother to play around with it. 92 or 93 would have been better.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:52 am

But you had fun KGB and that my friend is the secret to racing. :wink: 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:17 am

Agreed, it was awesome.
Raced again at Hurstville last night. Sore legs at the start but got going pretty well.
Comfortably 5th in the warm up. Got a great start off the fence in the wheelrace but found myself on the front too early. I tried to swing up and slot back in but had to spend too much juice since there is no bank to dive off and regain speed. I stuck with them but had nothing left for the sprint.
Next was 2 lap sprints, 3 or 4 man. I rolled out in 2nd in a 3 man heat. My plan was to hang off the back and take a flyer but the 3rd rider didn't want to come around me. After backing off the leader a ridiculous amount, I started to get concerned and began winding it up just before he did. It actually worked out well, I was full gas when I caught him just on 200m to go and he was still looking around and I managed to get underneath. I was pedalling squares as cruised the line but took the win pretty comfortably. A win for tactics over strength.
Next was the snow ball points race. A 10 lap race and I took a flyer on the 4th, getting 5 points and a bit of a lead. I may have hung on to take the 6 points too but there was a crash in the bunch behind. The race was neutralised, the sprinters recovers and when we restarted and sprinted for 6 it was balls out, completely changing the race. I didn't take any more points and finished 5th, the tactics were right but the luck wanst there.
Last race was a B grade madison. I paired with a club mate who had never risen a madison before so it was a bit of a shambles and we were quickly out the back but had some fun and got in one really good change, eventually!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 30, 2014 11:42 am

Smart over brawn can work a treat, for you KGB when done right. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Dec 31, 2014 8:38 am

Bro's dad is coming 4th in C grade

My Christmas carnival has been a bit of write-off
Day 1 - other commitment
Day 2 - My local track, live walking distance away. Spin class in the morning. Toss up between entering B or C, go C. No sprint in my legs. off 10mtrs in wheel race, which seems reasonable, get on and then did nothing. Pulled cleat in one lap screamer, managed to stop myself going over the handlebars, probably due to double straps and evasive action. Missing out, the riders directly in front of me blow up and despite some laps provided by the dropped riders I fail to get back on, not working in the wind at all.
Day 3. My legs really hurt in the morning spin class, decide not to race. Something is wrong, no performance followed by bad legs, I'm wondering if I've got a virus.
Day 4. Legs hurting as much as yesterday, no spin class and I decide to not front and have a complete rest day. Child sick
Day 5 (today). Been up all night with a sick child. Legs still hurt - no improvement, which doesn't make sense. Sadly I have to pull the pin :(

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:56 am

Another good night last night at lidcombe oval. It's been ages since I've raced there but I've been keen to try out the new surface that went down last season. It's nice and smooth and fast.

It was a bit windy to start with, a decent head wind coming around the last bend and into the straight. I upped the gearing a tiny bit from the last two nights, from 90 to 91.8.
The gear felt fine but the legs were suffering. Third night racing after being away from the track since last season and the fatigue was starting to show.

Warm up scratch was a good hit out, I did a couple of turns and picked a bad wheel on the last lap, he let a gap go and we just cruised home.
Wheel race was starting off the fence again, I seem to do well by just jamming the rear wheel in the fence and taking off, instead of taking a hand sling/push off the fence like many riders do. I was on 85m, which I think is generous and it also put me just out of the head wind zone, a great spot on the track to start. Got a strong start, closed the 5m to the guy in front almost immediately and then wound it up pretty easily once on the wheel. I guided him around the guys in front of us (looked like he was going to ease off and sit on the front markers) then we swapped a few turns before getting caught and passed on the last lap.

Rd3 was keirin races, the bike seemed to be starting VERY fast and many heats in lower grades were chasing pretty hard for half a lap to get on. I slotted into 3rd and started to move up on the bell but stalled a bit on the outside and went nowhere, maintaining my position to finish 3rd.

Best was the "winners race". A sprint at 9, 7, 5 and 3 to go. Win one of those and you qualify to contest the finish while everyone else peels off. My race wasnt anything special but the A grade race was good to watch. Michael Scott, a gun sprinter, blasted off to take the first sprint and then basically pulled up, effectively taking fourth place.
Poor Tirian McManus then finished second in the next three sprints, busting his ar$e and ending up with nothing! Heart breaking, but great to watch.

Last was the madison. My third race and third partner in three nights. An older guy from bathurst who was racing C grade. He knew his stuff but was a little cautious and didn't want to take any risks. Fine by me, I was just happy to get out there and have some fun. Our changes weren't lightning but were smooth and solid, we ended up getting lapped by the big guns close to the end and we withdrew to watch the finish.

The BFV was racing at his home track, I smirked as I watched his sneaky start in the wheel race and he even had a stint commentating later in the night.

I won't make the final round tonight but feel great to be back on the track. Next one for me will be the central coast open in mid january.

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:51 pm

KGB wrote: The BFV was racing at his home track, I smirked as I watched his sneaky start in the wheel race and he even had a stint commentating later in the night.
I was compensating for the time it would take the whistle sound to arrive at my location, honestly I was. I told my club mate, a relative newbie but a former BMX champ who can spin like an A grader, to jump on my wheel and we'd swap turns. If he did that, we would have won it. As it was I got caught in the last 50 and then got pipped for 3rd on the line. I had nothing left after that. The hot wind sucked all the moisture out of me and my tongue was like sandpaper. I'm still feeling it in the lungs today.

It was a great night last night, thoroughly enjoyed it.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:09 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Bro's dad is coming 4th in C grade

My Christmas carnival has been a bit of write-off
Day 1 - other commitment
Day 2 - My local track, live walking distance away. Spin class in the morning. Toss up between entering B or C, go C.
I don't race track or road so that surprises me. Why is the option given to the rider to select the class in which to participate?

I understand that the top of the lower class and the bottom of the upper class may be closely matched. However, in general, a better rider moving down a class appears to me to be unfair and demoralising to an extent to the other participants and a rider moving up a class has the potential to be a risk to himself and others.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:40 am

Depends on the event. At some events the organisers will place you according to their understanding of your experience. Generally they depend on your personal judgement

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:51 pm

277 days had passed since my last race, so I was quite nervous loading the car and during the 10 minute drive to my clubs velodrome.

Unfortunately there haven't been many riders showing up to our weekly club racing this summer, but for the purpose of my reintroduction it was perfect! Only 4 others were racing in A and B combined and were all riders I know and trust to ride safely.

First race was a 15 lap scratch (307m outdoor concrete) where the pace was a reasonable tempo till 2 laps to go. Was able to go with the accelerations but just not quite get around the final rider...

Second race was the Bessie Poole Handicap - obviously I didn't pay the handicapper enough nor did he get swayed with my lack of racing so was given scratch. Took three of the six laps to catch the main group and after a brief respite I kicked past 1 1/2 laps to go; only passed the front marker around 200m to go and kept my nose in front over the line.

Third race was meant to be a Points race. But given the small turnout, we were on the track again soon after the handicap so we all gladly took the offer of a Keirin instead. With me still coughing up a lung I was thankful of this and and ended up missing first by a tyre.

Final race of the day was a mystery distance scratch. We were rolling a reasonable tempo; first attack was made 8 laps in, when the two riders in front of me swung up I counter attacked immediately and was fortunate to get the bell one lap later and held it to the line. Though if line was a few metres further I would have been rolled as I was pedaling squares the last 200m!

Found sprinting with the narrow bars (have gone from Deda Pistas to 37cm Scatto's) an interesting sensation. The BT was rock solid! Given my lack of formal training since being back on the bike, very happy with how I rode.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:56 pm

Good stuff Dalai, you can only get better! :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:46 am

That's a good return Dalai
- Won from scratch in the wheel race
- Attacked a lap before the bell in the mystery lapper
Sounds like you bribed the officials

307mtrs, haven't heard of that length before, where is that?

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:51 am

Thanks guys.

The key for me yesterday was to get back out on the track and race again... As I'd spent a lot of time questioning whether I wanted to race again with the higher risk of crashing again and not being to able to be active. I have been competitive in some sport my whole life, so really struggled when I couldn't exercise last year!

I was the only A grader in the small field so should expect to still finish okay even with the time away. Will keep racing Track saturday afternoons till the end of Summer and will now start the structured training again. Focus is to build for the winter road TT's and CX season.

Track is Blackburn Velodrome in Burwood East Vic. 307m outdoor concrete track with 25 banking. http://www.aboc.com.au/maps-and-race-courses/BBN-HQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:25 pm

Looks similar to the one in Wollongong. When you sprint you lean over more than the banking which is a different feeling. Looks like a 333, a 307 wouldn't look much different

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:29 pm

dalai47 wrote:Track is Blackburn Velodrome in Burwood East Vic. 307m outdoor concrete track with 25 banking. http://www.aboc.com.au/maps-and-race-courses/BBN-HQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm about to start doing some training and hopefully some racing at Blackburn. I'll have to keep an eye out for that red planet X.