[MEL] Hisense Velodrome is it permanent

Calvin27

[MEL] Hisense Velodrome is it permanent

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:49 pm

Is this an actual velodrome or temporary? I keep finding references to it but it looks like it's temporary, but if not It would make it a lot easier for me. So does anyone know?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Gunlock

Re: [MEL] Hisense Velodrome is it permanent

Postby Gunlock » Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:59 pm

The velodrome is hidden under the court, so when they want to use it for events they can raise the seats and floor to reveal the velodrome.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:00 pm

So do they run cycling stuff there frequently or is it just for special events and it's not accessible to layman.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:04 pm

Not accessible to the layman, it's only setup for large events (last two i've been to have been for international events).

DISC is the closest indoor velodrome that your average joe can use AFAIK.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:11 pm

ok cool, thanks. Such a waste of a really good resource!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:15 pm

Gunlock wrote:Not accessible to the layman, it's only setup for large events (last two i've been to have been for international events).

DISC is the closest indoor velodrome that your average joe can use AFAIK.
Hisense is s multi use venue. Track as mentioned is only used a couple of times per year at most.

DISC is the only other indoor velodrome in Vic. Having said that, we are extremely fortunate here in Australia nearly every State has an indoor velodrome and hundred or more around the country unlike North America has only a couple for the whole country!

The fact we have a world level indoor velodrome that any CA member can use* for $5 /hr (+$20 for lights) any time not booked by clubs or squads is brilliant!

*Might want to check that a Recreational licence holder can use it in case you choose to go down that route in reference to your CA licence topic.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:22 pm

Yeah which was my other thread - CA membership lol. I'm guessing a 3 race one would be good to get started (AT) disc. Not really keen on outdoor track seeing as I would prefer to ride other disciplines if the weather holds up.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:33 pm

Calvin27 wrote:ok cool, thanks. Such a waste of a really good resource!
Maybe but I don't think anyone in particular is to blame. I was told that it takes a lot of preparation, manpower and $$$s to convert the facility for velodrome use. Therefore, it is used only for the larger events as a complement to DISC.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:35 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Not really keen on outdoor track seeing as I would prefer to ride other disciplines if the weather holds up.
You will change your mind once you get hooked on track racing... 8)

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:39 pm

Top_Bhoy wrote:
Maybe but I don't think anyone in particular is to blame. I was told that it takes a lot of preparation, manpower and $$$s to convert the facility for velodrome use. Therefore, it is used only for the larger events as a complement to DISC.
If it were the only indoor velodrome in the State I'd be upset. Given DISC is under 10km away from Hisense I'm not...

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Yeah which was my other thread - CA membership lol. I'm guessing a 3 race one would be good to get started (AT) disc. Not really keen on outdoor track seeing as I would prefer to ride other disciplines if the weather holds up.
Its not clear if you have or haven't got membership of Cycling Australia. However, you are required to be at least a CA recreational/Silver licence holder to participate in the non-racing DISC track sessions.

If you haven't got the licence already, it has a 12 month expiry period and takes only 5 minutes to register and obtain online before your next track session. If you do have it, ignore this advice. :D

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:47 pm

dalai47 wrote:
Top_Bhoy wrote:
If it were the only indoor velodrome in the State I'd be upset. Given DISC is under 10km away from Hisense I'm not...
I agree...DISC has free parking and is 5 minutes from me. What is there not to like about it? :wink:

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:33 pm

Weeknight crossing the Chandler highway bridge for me... :(

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:43 pm

I was told it costs $12,000 to raise the seats off the Hisense track. Which is why it has only been used twice in the last 5 years.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:27 am

dalai47 wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:Not really keen on outdoor track seeing as I would prefer to ride other disciplines if the weather holds up.
You will change your mind once you get hooked on track racing... 8)
I am hooked on track racing! And I haven't even done a proper race haha! but still, I think if it's clear, MTB is my preference still.

I have done a few training sessions at DISC and looking at racing now - thus the questions about CA membership types. It's a good facility and very affordable too - so I'm by no means ranting at all. I was just tying to find out if it was actually open - I live 2 minutes from hisense and have free parking due to tennis membership. Oh well Darebin it is. Maybe I need a outdoor wheelset?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:18 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Maybe I need a outdoor wheelset?
Not wanting to get in the way of someone intent on buying more wheels, but before you do what wheels and tyres are on the bike?

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:29 pm

dalai47 wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:Maybe I need a outdoor wheelset?
Not wanting to get in the way of someone intent on buying more wheels, but before you do what wheels and tyres are on the bike?
Halo aerorage with schwalbe lugano (off a new bike) works on the boards with no issues but the locals have swayed me to getting some indoor specific tyres. Seeing that track wheels make tyre changes impossible, I think this might be the excuse I need to get a second wheel set.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:17 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Seeing that track wheels make tyre changes impossible, I think this might be the excuse I need to get a second wheel set.
??? Tyre changes impossible?

Fast tyres which wear well on both concrete and timber are Vittoria Diamante Pro lites. No need to change tyres...

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:46 pm

dalai47 wrote:
Calvin27 wrote: ??? Tyre changes impossible?

Fast tyres which wear well on both concrete and timber are Vittoria Diamante Pro lites. No need to change tyres...
Yeah for some reason they are tight - very very tight! Diamantes are on my radar, but I wasn't sure if they did so well on the tarmac with respect to wear.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike