Cool track photo thread

bigfriendlyvegan

Re: Cool track photo thread

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:17 pm

gravelrash wrote:How did you go dragging your big brain up all those hills on your retro ride?
Being an academic doesn't mean you don't fail at things, rather it means that you can explain why you failed, while providing diagrams and references. It has something to do with quarks, I suspect.

Actually, being able to calculate exactly how much power I need to generate to get up the slope my Garmin was telling me I was on is not a fun thing. Ignorance is bliss.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:35 pm

Here I am, brain the size of a planet, and they ask me to do bicycle maintenance :D

Now to be fair the man in the big ring did stand up & I was stunned by his big heart & his big legs as he made it up from the Roseville Bridge. Took much longer for BFV to cry enough than I would have guessed & I suspect the lack of coffee was a major factor.

More importantly though BFV, if you are able to generate enough power to get up that slope, how fast would that power accelerate you around a track ?

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:40 pm

It wasn't a deliberate display of alpha-power, it was stupid bicycle maintenance. Yet another thing to add to my list of mistakes not to make.
find_bruce wrote:More importantly though BFV, if you are able to generate enough power to get up that slope, how fast would that power accelerate you around a track ?
It will be interesting to see come summer. I've been working on the squats, deadlifts and leg presses in the gym, so hopefully I can translate that into some sprinting. I've given up on endurance, so I have to work on the sprint to have any sort of track cred.

Wyatt Park is almost finished. I'm heading out for a test ride on Saturday. Will keep everyone posted.

Get a racing license, Bruce, and get out there.

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:45 pm

Amateurs and Pro's were still separated at this era.
Two great sprinters (both whom I am familiar with) who went head-to-head from '72.
During the height of the Amateurs and Pro's separation (around 75/76) both being
Sprint Champions in each division, and meeting up each year in the most important
invitational the Grand Prix de Paris, to compete against each other.
(the Grand Prix being one of the few events where Amateurs and Pro's met)
:mrgreen:
Lone Rider- I rode on the long, dark road... before I danced under the lights.

gravelrash

Postby gravelrash » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:57 pm

Thanks for educating me with lots of big words Fella's. But on a Track note, redirecting your thoughts. How about Dave you organise a retro Track race/social, day/night. Or a series, Hurstville, Tempe and Lidcombe. No alloy, steel only. I'm sure all three clubs would benefit from the combined attendance and a Fantastic photo opportunity for Track/Retro nuts like us.

I'd try to do it. But with your big brain and concepts, It would be great. (Heckling aside, I think it would be good). :D

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:53 pm

brentono wrote:
Amateurs and Pro's were still separated at this era.
Two great sprinters (both whom I am familiar with) who went head-to-head from '72.
During the height of the Amateurs and Pro's separation (around 75/76) both being
Sprint Champions in each division, and meeting up each year in the most important
invitational the Grand Prix de Paris, to compete against each other.
(the Grand Prix being one of the few events where Amateurs and Pro's met)
john singelton always looked tidy on a bike sometimes almost effortless,by memory he held the lap record at
Newcastle velodrome and may still hold it to this day i think it was a sub 11 sec ride ,correct me if i am wrong but
didn't he coach the great Japanese sprinter Nakano.Also i am pretty sure the photo of the Aussie at Lyon is Steve Mcglede
as i always remember Martin riding Gefsco & kenevans frames so knowing the name of the frame builder in the photo
would help determine the rider.

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:18 am

that photo- Front is Daniel Morelon (FR) this is 1972 at the age of 28,
he was pushed all the way in his sprint title against the Australian John Nicholson (rear).
Under the tutelage of the coach Louis Gerardin, the ex-sprint French champion known as "Toto"
After a seventh world title win in 1975, Morelon also made his way to the Games in Montreal ('76).
In the final, he was taken by surprise by Czechoslovakia's Anton Tkac,
and finished second for the silver medal.
In 1975 John Nicholson turned professional and became the third Australian ever to win
the world professional sprint cycling championship and he defended it successfully
the following year beating Italian Giordano Turrini (Italy)
Nicholson lost the world title in 1977 when Japanese rider Koichi Nakano upset the field,
but he managed to take third place. Nakano went on to win 10 consecutive professional sprint titles.
As far as I know Bill Long (Australia) at this stage ('77) went to Japan and trained Nakano
Here is a photo of Bill Long supporting me at the World Sprint Championships (below).
Last edited by brentono on Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:24 am

Great photos brent :)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:27 am

siennatrack wrote:....Also i am pretty sure the photo of the Aussie at Lyon is Steve Mcglede
as i always remember Martin riding Gefsco & kenevans frames so knowing the name of the frame builder in the photo
would help determine the rider.
The photo is on Vinnicombes facebook page. Have a look.
Yes Vinnicombe was given Kenevans bikes but only rode them because he had to. He didnt like them, or the people behind them. His loyalty was always with Clarence St.

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:35 am

Thanks DD, was still editing the facts, Bill Long was quite a character in the Sport (as you probably know)
And we were housed at the Track with the Japanese the year of this photo, and subsequently I found out
more, that Bill was honoured ('76) by the Federation Japonaise de Cyclisme Professionnel.
Bill was a character

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Oct 22, 2013 3:47 pm

siennatrack wrote:i always remember Martin riding Gefsco & kenevans frames so knowing the name of the frame builder in the photo would help determine the rider.
ST in the original Lyon photo, the only marking seen is "Limited Edition" on the down tube.

In the marked Martin Vinnicombe photo, the "Shimano" stickered frame.
"The track bike in the picture was built by Brian Hayes from Adelaide,
it was indeed copied off a Cinelli Laser and built in 1985.
It was built from over size tubing with the top tube being 30mm and the down tube 35mm.
I think it was a chromoly Reynolds tube. (Unknown metallurgy but probably 531)
The fork crown was made by Columbus."
Straight from MV.

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Hey Brentono lovin those puma track shoes what i would have done for those as a kid ,who is that your up against in the sprint his head looks familia.

brentono

Postby brentono » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:53 am

Yes Sienna, Puma were quite distinct.
Fuzzy memories, my first thought was Turrini but now think it was Cardi. A press photo.
The Italian officials pulled a stunt, and came up with a three-up, me with two Italians,
at, around, this stage. Those were the days. :x
Last edited by brentono on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:56 am

brentono wrote:that photo- Front is Daniel Morelon (FR) this is 1972 at the age of 28,
he was pushed all the way in his sprint title against the Australian John Nicholson (rear).
Under the tutelage of the coach Louis Gerardin, the ex-sprint French champion known as "Toto"
After a seventh world title win in 1975, Morelon also made his way to the Games in Montreal ('76).
In the final, he was taken by surprise by Czechoslovakia's Anton Tkac,
and finished second for the silver medal.
In 1975 John Nicholson turned professional and became the third Australian ever to win
the world professional sprint cycling championship and he defended it successfully
the following year beating Italian Giordano Turrini (Italy)
Nicholson lost the world title in 1977 when Japanese rider Koichi Nakano upset the field,
but he managed to take third place. Nakano went on to win 10 consecutive professional sprint titles.
As far as I know Bill Long (Australia) at this stage ('77) went to Japan and trained Nakano
Here is a photo of Bill Long supporting me at the World Sprint Championships (below).
That poor man looks like he is in pain or just totally focused on the task at hand. :)
OI onya bike!!!

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Yeah i thought is was cardi he won a world sprint title i think ,the promoters at Newcastle brought him out not long after may have been around the same era as your photo and he sure was a crowd pleaser only like i said once before Ron Baensch set him straight .Also two of the men that helped bring him to Aus were no slouches themselves you may remember their names Ian Chapman & Bob Ryan .

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:36 am

Just noticed that's a outdoor wooden track. How do they go durability wise?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Gordonhooker

Postby Gordonhooker » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:42 am

mikesbytes wrote:Just noticed that's a outdoor wooden track. How do they go durability wise?
It would have been a maintenance nightmare I would suggest....
OI onya bike!!!

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:38 am

mikesbytes wrote:Just noticed that's a outdoor wooden track. How do they go durability wise?
The seem to hold up well, Mike, rode many in the period. North to Denmark,
and right down to Southern Italy.
It always varied with the weather conditions they had to endure,
but most were resurfaced every 3-5 years.
This one was very expensive, just built for this event, and didn't last much after it.

brentono

Postby brentono » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:13 am

siennatrack wrote:Yeah i thought is was cardi he won a world sprint title i think ,the promoters at Newcastle brought him out not long after may have been around the same era as your photo and he sure was a crowd pleaser only like i said once before Ron Baensch set him straight .Also two of the men that helped bring him to Aus were no slouches themselves you may remember their names Ian Chapman & Bob Ryan .
Cardi had a World Sprint 3rd in 1973 and was in Australia in 1974 for Bendigo International Madison.
Cardi never won a World Sprint.
Turrini had 2nd and 3rds in the early Seventies, but never won it, either. (2nd to Nico in 1976)

And in 1971 Giordano Turrini raced Gordon Johnson in Australia at Camperdown, a shot below.
(Johnson at this stage, if my info is correct, had lost his title to Leijn Loevesijn)

Spent time at the German National Rhine Valley Sporting Complex,
at another outdoor wooden Velodrome, a very fast Track,
Sprint training with Nico, Leijn Loevesijn ('71) Peder Pedersen ('74) and other ex-World Champs.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:46 pm

brentono wrote:that photo- Front is Daniel Morelon (FR) this is 1972 at the age of 28,
John is our current club President; top bloke! He is still giving back to the sport by spending many days each week either running or assisting at our club training sessions or races!

brentono

Postby brentono » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:21 am

Dalai47. True, he was a well organised bloke, when I was only young and just knocking at the door.
He assisted me, and I hope in a small way, I reciprocated, with help,
to gain his last World championship.

brentono

Postby brentono » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:28 am

Great shot with John (at his peak) at the World championship Track

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:51 am

brentono wrote:Great shot with John (at his peak) at the World championship Track
How tall was Nicho at this stage in his career ,the bike he is holding looks like it is over 23in
and i dont remember him being that tall.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:26 pm

That frame looks like a 23" to me.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:56 pm

Both frames say short legs to me, when you look at the head set. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km