Cool track photo thread

trailgumby

Re: Cool track photo thread

Postby trailgumby » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:39 pm

And do you have the matching helmet? ;)

Wouldn't mind giving this a go at some stage :)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:53 pm

trailgumby wrote:And do you have the matching helmet? ;)

Wouldn't mind giving this a go at some stage :)
I was going to suggest a green & yellow tattoo - Foo has already gone for an aero haircut :mrgreen:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:02 am

^^^^ :lol: :lol: ^^^^

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:05 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Image
Can see the quads sticking thru
ironhanglider wrote:Reminds me of 1984.
Foo, which one is you? :wink:
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:32 pm

:lol: :lol: I'd be the one that dropped off. :mrgreen:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:09 pm

foo on patrol wrote:In race trim for next weekend. Still doesn't look to bad with the old school wheels on it. :D

Might have to get another pump though, if I want to get full pressure in my strips. The pump only goes to 180psi and these TUFO S3 lites, go to 220psi. :)

Foo
Currently looking at a set of 50mm Light Bicycle CF rims with Dura Ace 7600 hubs and Sapim C-X-ray spokes. With wheel bags and Vittoria Pista CS rubber already glued on and another one spare for this bike. :) Wheels are only 12mths old and ridden a few times. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:26 pm

Been offered a deal that's almost to good to refuse on some DT Swiss hubs and 56mm CF rims, not released until next month. :mrgreen: Over my budget but starting to think maybe outlay the dollars now, on a brand new set and not need to worry about upgrading down the track. :?

Foo
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:34 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Been offered a deal that's almost to good to refuse on some DT Swiss hubs and 56mm CF rims, not released until next month. :mrgreen: Over my budget but starting to think maybe outlay the dollars now, on a brand new set and not need to worry about upgrading down the track. :?

Foo
Nice

TonyB

Postby TonyB » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:39 pm

While cleaning out the in-laws estate in Wagga I came across an A4 size envelope full of B&W negatives and proofs of mid 1950's local Wagga cycling scene, Track, Road, training rides and some touring and a few photos at what appears what might be a track meet in Melbourne. Most of the B&W negatives are a strange size 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" which my scanner is unable to handle, there are also a few larger format B&W negatives also a strange size, my scanner also is unable to handle the small proofs.

For this post I have taken some digital photos of some Track photos with my point and shoot camera of the 1 1/4" proofs, sorry about the quality, I will need to get some professional advice on how to scan the negatives from the local camera shop.

I think these photo's are from around 1957 but I have no idea who the cyclist are, other that one of the cyclist might be my wife's uncle, any information would be appreciated.

Tony

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 9:59 am

Nice find TonyB

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:15 am

Wow!

Do ya self and others a huge favor and join, The Cycling Scrapbook Face Book page. [emoji106]

Foo
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:22 pm

1980 USSR Olympic bike

Here's a write up of the rebuild process: link and a story about the Russian team bikes: link.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:36 am

You'd want some good flex in ya body to sit on that, BFV. :shock: Is this in your possession?

Foo
Goal 6000km

bigfriendlyvegan

Postby bigfriendlyvegan » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:33 am

foo on patrol wrote:You'd want some good flex in ya body to sit on that, BFV. :shock: Is this in your possession?

Foo
Not mine, I don't have any room for bikes I can't ride, but the story behind the rebuild is wonderful (see the forum link I posted). One of the guys on this forum, QuangVuong, is doing this sort of stuff for Aussie made track and road bikes.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:16 am

Yep I know that. 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:16 am

TonyB wrote:While cleaning out the in-laws estate in Wagga I came across an A4 size envelope full of B&W negatives and proofs of mid 1950's local Wagga cycling scene, Track, Road, training rides and some touring and a few photos at what appears what might be a track meet in Melbourne. Most of the B&W negatives are a strange size 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" which my scanner is unable to handle, there are also a few larger format B&W negatives also a strange size, my scanner also is unable to handle the small proofs.

For this post I have taken some digital photos of some Track photos with my point and shoot camera of the 1 1/4" proofs, sorry about the quality, I will need to get some professional advice on how to scan the negatives from the local camera shop.

I think these photo's are from around 1957 but I have no idea who the cyclist are, other that one of the cyclist might be my wife's uncle, any information would be appreciated.

Tony

that's the old Essendon Board Track ..There was racing there several nights a week. As well as the local racing Big stars from overseas used to be contracted to ride against Australian greats like Patto and Mockridge. A very famous track. I don't recognize any of the riders I'm the photo.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:04 pm

bigfriendlyvegan wrote:1980 USSR Olympic bike

Here's a write up of the rebuild process: link and a story about the Russian team bikes: link.
I could ride that, the handlebars aren't as low as the appear, have a look at the distance above the wheel, though they are a long way forward. In comparison with my track bike, my handlebars are lower but not as far forward

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:09 pm

That funny bike is so sweet.

TonyB

Postby TonyB » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:38 pm

Derny Driver wrote: that's the old Essendon Board Track ..There was racing there several nights a week. As well as the local racing Big stars from overseas used to be contracted to ride against Australian greats like Patto and Mockridge. A very famous track. I don't recognize any of the riders I'm the photo.
Thanks that information Derny Driver, one day I hope to work out how to scan all of the negatives and I will send copies to the Wagga Cycle Club.

Tony

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:13 pm

TonyB wrote:
Derny Driver wrote: that's the old Essendon Board Track ..There was racing there several nights a week. As well as the local racing Big stars from overseas used to be contracted to ride against Australian greats like Patto and Mockridge. A very famous track. I don't recognize any of the riders I'm the photo.
Thanks that information Derny Driver, one day I hope to work out how to scan all of the negatives and I will send copies to the Wagga Cycle Club.

Tony
One possibility is that the local Wagga lads found themselves in Melbourne and decided to go ride the famous track when no-one was on it. There are no spectators and there is no racing on. The second photo shows one of the larrikins posing for a fake crash photo (and not a very good one) - fake track racing crashes were staged and photographed and commonly used in promotions and advertising for 6 day races and other carnivals. The crowd loves to see a good crash on the boards!
Good photos of the Essendon Board track are fairly rare so your ones are good in that you can see how steep it was and the way the boards were laid vertically.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:46 pm

TonyB wrote:

Tony
This idea may help you Tony. :idea:

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/07/ho ... -scanner-0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Foo
Goal 6000km

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:29 pm

I am in possession of colour super8 film of the Turinni vs Johnson race at Camperdown velodrome. Held on Sat 21 Nov 1971. Race started at 3.45pm. Info off the video. Will post it up when I can.
A few mins long.
Regards
marc
brentono wrote:
siennatrack wrote:Yeah i thought is was cardi he won a world sprint title i think ,the promoters at Newcastle brought him out not long after may have been around the same era as your photo and he sure was a crowd pleaser only like i said once before Ron Baensch set him straight .Also two of the men that helped bring him to Aus were no slouches themselves you may remember their names Ian Chapman & Bob Ryan .
Cardi had a World Sprint 3rd in 1973 and was in Australia in 1974 for Bendigo International Madison.
Cardi never won a World Sprint.
Turrini had 2nd and 3rds in the early Seventies, but never won it, either. (2nd to Nico in 1976)

And in 1971 Giordano Turrini raced Gordon Johnson in Australia at Camperdown, a shot below.
(Johnson at this stage, if my info is correct, had lost his title to Leijn Loevesijn)

Spent time at the German National Rhine Valley Sporting Complex,
at another outdoor wooden Velodrome, a very fast Track,
Sprint training with Nico, Leijn Loevesijn ('71) Peder Pedersen ('74) and other ex-World Champs.
:mrgreen:

... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:22 am

I've posted this link in the 'Retro' bike forum.
Here is rare colour footage of Sydney's Camperdown Velodrome made by the Dulwich Bicycle Club between 1969 and 1971.
Covers the construction and eventually completion, plus its opening day on 23 Nov 1971. The velodrome was demolished in the late 1990s.

This video is 19 mins long. The footage was shot by the late Claude (1919-1982) and Sonia Heathcote (c1921-2006) of the Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club and recently donated by their nephew Stephen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3__g1tS ... e=youtu.be

The last 3 mins of the video was taken on the 21 Nov 1971, on the day of the race between Giordano Turrini and Gordon Johnson (17:20). Both men were top 5 in the world at the time.

This film was part of a large stash of historic DHBC material dating back to 1909. Hundreds of photos, minutes book dating back to 1914, letters, prizes, newsletters and also colour film! All have since been donated to the Inner West Council library.
A formal exhibition of the material will be held in April 2017. I will notify this forum about dates later.

-----------------------------------------------

0-5:33 mins
Construction of Camperdown Velodrome began in 1969 and completed in 1971. Constructed jointly between Marrickville Council and the Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club.
5:34-12:48 mins
Track racing at the newly completed Camperdown Velodrome in 1971.
12:48-15:30 mins
Finishing touches made to the Camperdown Velodrome, 1971.
15:30-18:22 mins
Racing at the newly completed Camperdown Velodrome on 21 Nov 1971. Track racing carnival held to celebrate the opening of the Camperdown Velodrome. The highlight of the day was a race between Giordano Turrini and Gordon Johnson (17:20). Both men were top 5 in the world at the time.
... 15km short of a cardiac arrest ...

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:26 am

^^^ 8) 8) ^^^

Foo
Goal 6000km