Track Race Report Thread

foo on patrol

Re: Track Race Report Thread

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:39 pm

Good stuff mate! :D What Club did you join?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:16 am

FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:02 am

thearthurdog wrote:My wrap up of Aussie Masters:

http://crosswindmissile.blogspot.com.au ... track.html
I was camped directly opposite you Dean. Congratulations on your excellent results.
The guys I usually work with in the Team Pursuit only decided to do it the week before and none of the 4 were fully fit. We have won Nationals 3 times previously and they were smooth as they always are but the speed wasn't there and we could only manage a bronze. Any team with Andrew Patten in it is always going to be hard to beat and 3:21 is quick. I think the record is 3:19 I will have a look when I get home today. But yeah 3:21 on a slow day is motoring.
I got caught out in the pursuit too with the slow track, the lady I coach was up against world pursuit record holder and world hour record holder Bridie O'Donnell so we took a bit of a risk and rode a gear .8 of an inch bigger than she usually does. She won the State Title but had a massive fail at the Nationals, didn't even qualify. Anyway, you live and learn.
My ladies TP team managed silver in the All-Age which was a good result considering 3 of them don't really ride track and the 4th is only new at it too. They rode slow in the qualifying and I told them to go out in the final and give it 100%, which they did but blew to bits on lap 5. But silver for 4 girls from the same NSW club was good. The winners all have Australian and World Titles to their names so it was no disgrace.
My brother won his points race which was a big highlight for me.
All in all it was great racing although I was super busy looking after my ladies and changing wheels etc. 2 of them fell off the rollers and one broke 2 fingers when she grabbed a bike rack to get off the rollers and the whole thing crashed down on top of her.
Anyway congrats to you and the Queensland team.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:15 pm

Cheers Derny. The track was running a little faster in the afternoons but it was definitely a surprise for me overall. I went there intending to put my gear up for the IP, but did the warm up and said 'nope'.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:18 pm

According to my records the official best time for All-Age TP was set by Mark Jewel, Scott Butler, David Stevens, Gavin White 3:20.465 in 2012 Nationals in Sydney .... so yes you were less than a second off it.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:45 pm

Cheers for that. Andy Patten had the same info you did.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Mon May 15, 2017 1:40 pm

World Masters Games (an awesome event!): http://crosswindmissile.blogspot.com.au ... 26-28.html
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri May 19, 2017 12:48 pm

Would like to get fit enough to have a crack at these but sadly, I can't see that happening in the near future. :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:32 am

Been a bit quiet on this thread.

I'd thought I post this one because it's unique.

On Saturday before last there was a series of Handicaps at Blackburn. 8YO Lachlan might have felt a little hard done by in the E/F grade handicap given that as an F grade rider he was given a mark 10m behind an E grader. To his credit he did close the gap, but never really got onto the wheel, and eventually blew up. However the highlight for me was in the C/D grade handicap where for the first time in my life I was put on Scratch. I was given a good push from Barry Woods and got up to speed as fast as I could, (which is normally not that fast), however it was quick enough that the other scratchman Hugh, didn't grab my wheel when we caught the nearest riders and I went straight round. The race rapidly turned into an individual pursuit between Hugh and I as I rounded up the limit rider by half way and I rode the last km in clean air. I had originally planned on picking up some support along the way, and even though I called for them to go up the track in time it didn't work out.

This weekend was Lachlan's first track Open. The Melbourne Cup on Wheels, being held at DISC. Numbers were low in the junior grades with Lachlan and Lavinia being the only two U11 riders (both actually U9 for a few more weeks) who were asked to race with the U13 Girls (and there were only 2 of them).

In the first scratch race the two older girls demonstrated that they were the better riders, and whilst Lachlan held on till the last lap he was always going to have to be happy with third.

The second race was a U11/U13 handicap, and Lachlan and Lavinia were given 220m over the fastest of the U13 boys. Lachlan got off to a fast start and pretty much held the gap to the scratchmen for the first lap. The initial gap back to the U13 girls was 55 - 60m which worked out pretty well. The first of the girls caught Lachlan with half a lap to go, but he battled on and fought off the other U13 girl to claim second.

In his final race He attacked from the gun and opened a gap. The U13 girls caught him comfortably with two laps to go, but it was pleasing to see him giving it his best until the end.

#prouddadtime

However the real reason I'm posting is because both Lachlan and I are entered for the Austral wheelrace next weekend. I know that I will need to use a bigger gear on an indoor wooden velodrome compared to a windy, and bumpy concrete outdoor track. But is the faster track worth 4,6,8 10"?

Any suggestions? Despite my size, I'm not actually a powerful rider. I don't have great acceleration, although I can sustain speed reasonably well once I get there.

Cheers,

Cameron

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:12 am

ironhanglider wrote:
However the real reason I'm posting is because both Lachlan and I are entered for the Austral wheelrace next weekend. I know that I will need to use a bigger gear on an indoor wooden velodrome compared to a windy, and bumpy concrete outdoor track. But is the faster track worth 4,6,8 10"?

Any suggestions? Despite my size, I'm not actually a powerful rider. I don't have great acceleration, although I can sustain speed reasonably well once I get there.

Cheers,

Cameron
I will be at the Austral hanging with the NSW elite guys. Badly dyed blonde hair. Come and say Hi or ask for Marcus.

Mate you need to go big with the gear. Minimum 96. I suggest 98
You cant ride 6 laps on your own on a big gear, so you need to suck a wheel as much as you can. If you find yourself stuck on the front, swing up and go back a few wheels.

For masters on indoor velodromes I suggest 94, 95 or 96 for IP. Some guys prefer bigger. Points race 96. Scratch race 97 or 98. Team pursuit 98-102.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:20 pm

Thanks Marcus,
Just what I was looking for. Best of all I have a favourite 51T DA chainring that I can use. (my 50T Stronglight one isn't as round :!: )

I don't have high hopes of making the final, I wasn't good enough to make the final 20-25 years ago and I was riding off 200m then. Last week the qualifying for the MCOW final was in the form of 3 or four scratch races with the top 7 in each making it through. The only info I see for this year is that there will be 5 heats, probably with the top 5 to go through. Since there is a strong likelihood that the scratch mark will be occupied by the fastest pursuit team in the world I don't think that there is a track long enough anywhere that would give me a chance even if I did qualify, but it'll be fun to try. I will ride the other D grade scratch races, where there will not be a requirement to ride on the front for any distance :) ... I might just buy tickets to watch the evening session.

I'm mainly going to be there for Lachlan, it looks like there is a stronger field of U11 riders this time so in theory they will have their own races rather than being combined with U13. It'll be good experience for him since he can ride U11 for another two years.

I'll certainly come up and say hi.

Cheers,

Cameron

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:30 pm

ironhanglider wrote: ... I might just buy tickets to watch the evening session....

I'll certainly come up and say hi.
Cameron you have to come to the evening session. The racing will be unbelievable.

I think Ive met you before but I look forward to meeting you.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 pm

The problem with the evening session is that it is a very late night for an 8YO who despite loving his own races doesn't pay the slightest attention to other races (like my glorious win from scratch a couple of weeks ago... possibly the highlight of my cycling career). And after that we'd have to catch a train home.

I have no doubt that the racing would be fabulous. It is a treat to watch those who can really ride.

Yes we have met, or at least raced in the same bunch... at Bright a couple of times, like the year we went anticlockwise around the gaps loop and descended Tawonga Gap in the rain.

Bananaman was there too, and I saw his name among the results for MCOW.

Cheers,

Cameron

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:00 am

Derny Driver wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:

Cheers,

Cameron
I will be at the Austral hanging with the NSW elite guys. Badly dyed blonde hair. Come and say Hi or ask for Marcus.

Mate you need to go big with the gear. Minimum 96. I suggest 98
You cant ride 6 laps on your own on a big gear, so you need to suck a wheel as much as you can. If you find yourself stuck on the front, swing up and go back a few wheels.

For masters on indoor velodromes I suggest 94, 95 or 96 for IP. Some guys prefer bigger. Points race 96. Scratch race 97 or 98. Team pursuit 98-102.
This because on an Indoor, you will spin ya ring off any lower if, you have good fitness. :wink:

And this is a good starting point, if ya old fat and slow. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:06 am

I'm not racing anymore this year, in part due to major fatigue all year and then I had a crash two weeks ago, so I want to make sure everything has healed up well, before any major loading like ya need to do on the Track. :cry: I may ride the States in January, only to see how poorly I'm going but am going to ride Bundy and Rocky Carnivals in February. :)

There are three days racing this weekend in Brisbane at the Anna Dome = Wynnum Kangaroo Point and Ipswich Carnivals but I'm not even racing at my own Club Event, due to what I said above. :(

Foo
Goal 6000km

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:44 pm

I have taken DD's suggestions and installed the 98 51*14 (with a 51*15 warm up gear). The bikes are all prepped, chains lubed and wiped dry bolts checked, (bars, seat, chainring studs, crank bolts). Feeling a little excited.

I don't have any particular hopes. I am mostly going to try and show Lachlan how to ride against people who are fitter and stronger, but just being on the track at a big carnival is a buzz.

Lachlan will have a job to do since he is going to be the youngest rider in U11, however he will have another 2 years at this level to get better.

If I can swing some leave I'll try and get to some Christmas carnivals with him.

I'll look out for Foo's race reports in February.

Cheers,

Cameron.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:41 pm

Well my news is............. I've been asked to do the 135yrs n over combined Team Sprint at the QLD States. :shock: Never done one of these but I know how to hurt, so I'm up for the challenge. :) Then I will back up the following day for the Individual Sprints, only doing these, to see how far behind the eight ball I am, after such a chit year of training. :( Just over 3000klms is just plain crap and gives you no attack, speed or endurance. :idea:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:59 pm

foo on patrol wrote:Well my news is............. I've been aske to do the 135yrs n over combined Team Sprint at the QLD States. :shock: Never done one of these but I know how to hurt, so I'm up for the challenge. :) Then I will back up the following day for the Individual Sprints, only do these, to see how far behind the eight ball I am, after such a chit year of training. :( Just over 3000klms is just plain crap and gives you no attack, speed or endurance. :idea:

Foo
The excuses have started already.
I expect to see you on the infield at Nationals mate.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:12 am

I'll see you there DD. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Wed Jan 02, 2019 1:52 pm

foo on patrol wrote:I'll see you there DD. :mrgreen:

Foo
Wonderful mate. Cant wait to see you :D

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:15 pm

Oops, I never posted my Austral report.

Cycling Vic decided in their wisdom to extend the entries to E grade, for which I was grateful. Taking the advice to go big I started the night in the 98, but in the first scratch race immediately found myself off the pace. I was the first dropped and pulled out before I was in the position of being lapped during the bell lap.

In desperation I went bigger and loaded up the 100" gear for my Austral heat. I was off absolute limit (245m) with one other. I started well enough (a traditional weakness) and at least held the wheel of the other bloke for the first couple of laps till he swung off. I did one lap (probably half a lap too far) and by that time the middle markers had caught up and I slotted back into about 8th. Then my club mate and eventual Austral winner Sam came past with a closing speed that was just awesome.

In my final scratch race I kept the 100" gear and this time I was much closer to the pace. I managed to make it to the bell still in the bunch before being blown off the back, so I felt well pleased with that result.

The main point of the day was for Lachlan's races. In the end there were 4 JM11 boys, 1 from Tasmania and 2 (brothers) from Bendigo. The boy from Burnie was clearly the strongest and he won the first race comfortably. Lachlan fought on bravely to come second, a great result.

Next was the handicap (we dubbed it the U11 Austral but that's not how it was in the program). Lachlan was off 105 with the limit rider at 130, his brother was at 65 and the Tasmanian at 15m. Of course just prior to the race start, "Daddy, I've got a flat tyre" Fortunately I had a spare tube which was duly installed with barely enough time to get him to the line (minus his glasses). 4 laps is pretty quick (1:35 according to the results) but Lachlan caught the limit rider at half way and took most of a lap to get clear in front and come down to the black line. From there he fought on to take a mighty win, third was not in the picture (literally).

Finally was another scratch race. The whistle went to start, and Lachlan charged off as is his nature, however (cleverly but not characteristically) he swung off the front and took some shelter at the back. At the bell he attacked and drew the Tasmanian out with him and even though he was well beaten by a better rider it was the best race I have seen him do. Very proud.

We also have our state club team championships coming up and I've put both our names forward for selection.

Cheers,

Cameron

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:38 am

Great report, like the photos, I have an 11yo son - I love the facial expressions they create!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:13 am

Good stuff Cameron. I learnt very early that you can't ride small gears and expect to stay on. I rode 103 on Rocky in the day and was much better. I was riding 94 before that. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Last Sunday I had some fun at a relaxed race meet in Caboolture. First race was sompin different, if you won by more than a half wheel, you lost the win. So I figured that I'd lead for the first lap and then drop behind (only 3 of us) and then try and time a run and throw at the line. Nearly paid off but the youngin = 18yrs had a bit to much kick for me and got it by a tyre. :lol:

The second was another I hadn't done = A points score but the first lap was given from last place to 6th place and then the next lap was the normal sprint for 1st and back to 6th, then the 3rd lap was back to the last place one and the next was the normal again. Ya still wiff me? :lol: So off we trundle and I'm toddling along on the front and looks back and everyone was about 30mtrs behind, hmmmmm bugger, so I tried to go even slower but they were doing tack stands and what have you so I just rolled to the end of the lap and then took off for maximum point on the next lap, seein as they were all younger than me. Then I just kept it going for the rest of the laps. I missed wining it by one point. :(

Then there were two handicaps and well with no endurance in my legs to save myself, nothin happened there.

Then they said, okay we are going to have an Italian Pursuit, a what I said? Never ridden one of these, how do they work and everyone sayin...........you just go flat out for a lap and once you're on the front. Hmmmmmmmm, okay, well I'mm the lead rider for the start, because I won't be able to do more than that. Okay you just go from the start then and wind us up. Yep I can do that. :mrgreen: So we get the whistle and I unleash all of my 400watts of power and gives it my all for the 338mtrs and swings up and waits and waits and waits for the next rider to come through. Hahahaha I left them behind with my start and wind up. :shock: At the finish, I asked..........what happen? You were to strong and fast for us on ya start., WTH I said, you told me to just go and that's what I did. :mrgreen:

Anyway it was a fun meet and they drew numbers at the end for some money and mine was called :D whoohoo $20 so I made a profit of $10. I then asked them did this little bloke get anything, yep, well what about that one, no. So I trundled over to this little bloke (about 8yrs) and said to him..........here ya go, that's for you, seein as you rode your heart out. He looked at me and said.......are you serious? I sure am. He was so stoked with that, it made my day and then his father came up to ma and said that was a great gesture that you just did. I just said, it was $10 and he would remember this for a long time to come and hopefully keep him interested in the sport, because someone cared to offer him a small token. :idea:

Foo
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:43 am

Derny Driver wrote:
foo on patrol wrote:I'll see you there DD. :mrgreen:

Foo
Wonderful mate. Cant wait to see you :D
Oh I better state, it will be as a spectator. :mrgreen:

Foo
Goal 6000km