Re: Track Bike Gallery

Postby dalai47 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:09 pm

Nice! You will need to update your signature... :wink:

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:07 am

Never have enough bikes, Gunlock. 8)

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Gunlock wrote: One more for the shed.
Lol I bought the bikes that you were looking at - both the Avanti and the hillbrick haha!

The avnati turned out too small but because I had driven so damn far to get it and no one else wanted to, I managed to sell it for break even. Then I ended up with the hillbrick pista.

Not as nice as some of the others posted but here she is:

Did the first track session this morning and I think I'm hooked. Makes for a really good rainy/superwindy plan b ride.

*Edit - yes, I know I screwed up the picture, but trust me, you don't want to see the rusty crank and chain.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:54 pm

Calvin27 wrote:I know I screwed up the picture, but trust me, you don't want to see the rusty crank and chain.
Yes we do! Congratulations on the 'new' bike and welcome to the club. 8)

Come down and race at Blackburn next Summer. 3 races each Saturday afternoon - all for $10* :D

*may go up a few dollars at some point as it's been $10 since I started racing ages ago...

xcamx

Postby xcamx » Tue May 19, 2015 5:06 pm

I had been sitting on this frame for 6 months and finally got around to building it up the other week, took it down to DISC this morning for my first ever run there (and only second outing for this bike). It was both terrifying and thrilling, after nearly losing both wheels on the first lap(!) the nerves slowly recovered and by the end of the session was starting to find a rhythm. Looking forward to hopefully being able to hone my skills there more often.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue May 19, 2015 7:52 pm

That's one tiny frame. Would be bloody twitchy.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:10 am

My feet could touch the lock nuts if I were clipped onto that bike.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:30 pm

My Fuji 2.0 and I just scored a set of Singles with Suntour Sprint hubs laced to ARAYA RED rims.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

KGB

Postby KGB » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:36 pm

Sprints! You don't see much of that stuff these days, only love for Superbe.
Here is a pic of the latest addition to our stable. My brother's but I bought it for him so I'll post it as "mine". :)
A Dolan PreCursa, pretty standard "modern" track bike. Alloy frame, carbon fork, decent bits and pieces including a Miche Primato crank, cheap wheels. Plus a garmin speed sensor.
Fits into my Bang for your Buck category with other alloy bikes like the basic Fuji, Avanti etc.

The best part: $362! We've already swapped the wheels for a set of Mavic (500?) Hubs laced to Campag Omega Strada clinchers that I've been minding for him since he stopped racing as a junior. Sweet hoops. Bar and stem will be fiddled with over the next month to get it dialed. It's in fantastic condition.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:52 am

Excellent buy, KGB. :shock:

Foo
Goal 6000km

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:05 pm

Thanks Foo. He's stoked and super keen which is good for me too - I get a madison partner and an extra for the club team pursuit. :D

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:59 am

Loved riding in Madisons and Six Day races. Good hard racing and great to build on your fitness. [emoji106]

Foo
Goal 6000km

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:36 am

foo on patrol wrote:Excellent buy, KGB. :shock:
Agreed. Bargain! Great to have another rider join the ranks KGB. :D

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:42 pm

ah, so you're the one that won it.. good purchase
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

minhyy

Postby minhyy » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:59 pm

new bike day. kerry hopkins - more pics in the fixie gallery

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:44 pm

^^^ Score^^^ 8)

Foo
Goal 6000km

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:26 pm

foo on patrol wrote:^^^ Score^^^ 8)

Foo
+1 :D

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:41 am

Still jealous I missed out on the yellow and black Hopkins buuuuuuuuttttt.....

Scored this one instead for $410. 853 tubing, 51cm square and Miche Primato cranks, headset and hubs (laced to velocity rims). The frame is sweet, if a touch too short for me (new stem required). The downtube is ovalised vertically at the HT and horizontally at the BB and the seat stays join into a single, thick tube at the top of the wheel. All fillet brazed. I'm not sure if this was actually once Shaun Hopkins' bike but it looks very similar to one he rode while with Parramatta CC and is about the right size for him. If I'm out that way I might call into ABC Bikes and check the serial number with Kerry.
It is also fitted with the Miche splined track cog which I haven't used before. Looks OK.

The bad parts: Stem is ugly and too short, no big drama. Seat is ugly and flogged out, no big drama. Cranks are in excellent condition but are 135 bcd (to fit junior gears I assume) so none of my track rings fit. I'll have to sell them or trade them for something with 144 bcd, its a shame because they are nice looking cranks.

I love my other Hopkins (that was made for me) so will probably set this one up for the pursuit this season and then try to figure out a way to justify keeping it after that!

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:23 am

One thing that surprised me is that the frame looks nowhere near a 51cm frame. The long HT(which Kerry seems to do) doesn't help.

You've definitely got a Columbus Max DT, even though the sticker does say 853. The orange and black Hopkins has the same DT and build style as yours, however you've got a monostay.

You should be able to remove that splined carrier. Put the cog on and screw the lockring most of the way on. Then unscrew it as you would, then stick to the standard cogs.

Aren't you participating in the Christmas Carnivals? DGV is not that far from ABC Bikes. Kerry doesn't know exactly where his books are, but I'm sure if more people ask about serials, he'd go and look for them.

kgb2

Postby kgb2 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:38 pm

QuangVuong wrote:One thing that surprised me is that the frame looks nowhere near a 51cm frame. The long HT(which Kerry seems to do) doesn't help.

You've definitely got a Columbus Max DT, even though the sticker does say 853. The orange and black Hopkins has the same DT and build style as yours, however you've got a monostay.

You should be able to remove that splined carrier. Put the cog on and screw the lockring most of the way on. Then unscrew it as you would, then stick to the standard cogs.

Aren't you participating in the Christmas Carnivals? DGV is not that far from ABC Bikes. Kerry doesn't know exactly where his books are, but I'm sure if more people ask about serials, he'd go and look for them.
I agree about the size, it looks super short. My custom frames are all longer in the top tube than seat tube so it looks especially funny to me.
These wheels, and the whole bike are really surplus to my needs so I know I can whip off the Miche cog if I want but I would actually like to try it out and see what its like.

I didn't get a chance to train for the last couple of weeks so gave up on the Christmas carnivals this year. I was really looking forward to them so it's a bit of a bummer. My sister in law is at Holsworthy so maybe I'll just call in to the shop next time I'm out there.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:32 pm

KGB wrote:Still jealous I missed out on the yellow and black Hopkins buuuuuuuuttttt.....

Scored this one instead for $410. 853 tubing, 51cm square and Miche Primato cranks, headset and hubs (laced to velocity rims). The frame is sweet, if a touch too short for me (new stem required). The downtube is ovalised vertically at the HT and horizontally at the BB and the seat stays join into a single, thick tube at the top of the wheel. All fillet brazed. I'm not sure if this was actually once Shaun Hopkins' bike but it looks very similar to one he rode while with Parramatta CC and is about the right size for him. If I'm out that way I might call into ABC Bikes and check the serial number with Kerry.
It is also fitted with the Miche splined track cog which I haven't used before. Looks OK.

The bad parts: Stem is ugly and too short, no big drama. Seat is ugly and flogged out, no big drama. Cranks are in excellent condition but are 135 bcd (to fit junior gears I assume) so none of my track rings fit. I'll have to sell them or trade them for something with 144 bcd, its a shame because they are nice looking cranks.

I love my other Hopkins (that was made for me) so will probably set this one up for the pursuit this season and then try to figure out a way to justify keeping it after that!
What was the size of the cranks before 144 as in pre 77? I could just go and measure my old old ones I guess. :roll:

Foo
Last edited by foo on patrol on Tue Dec 29, 2015 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goal 6000km

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:37 pm

I thought older track cranks were bigger? Like 151mm?
Campag road is 135mm.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:25 pm

151 track cranks stopped being manufactured in the mid 70's. 135bcd is only used by Miche. Everybody else uses 144 for the track ie the ones that count Shimano, Campagnolo and Sugino.

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:52 pm

The Hopkins Brownie rides has got the same rear stay setup looks great
Did anyone on here buy that Kypo that was on gumtree seemed like a good buy it also had a mono setup in the rear stays

QuangVuong

Track Bike Gallery

Postby QuangVuong » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:24 pm

You mean this one?

I really like the gusset.

And and it sure does have a monostay

You may recognise it KGB. Matt P. From St George used it regularly at Hurstville and Tempe in the early 2000s.

More on it later.