Track training thread - how was yours?

g-boaf

Track training thread - how was yours?

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:34 am

The road bike riders have their training topic - so we might as well have one here.

Mine last night was around 25km - but I made the mistake of doing a pretty hard road-ride on Tuesday night (with some good PRs) assuming that the Wednesday night would be cancelled by forecast rain. Big mistake. I was pretty tired already and by the end of Wednesday night I was pretty well finished.

In the end it didn't matter too much as there weren't many people there. I ended up in a Team Pursuit with a new E-grader who'd never done it before. Not really a proper effort with only two people, but I think he got the idea of what to do, and where and when to move. I hope he'll get a better go next time with more people out there.

By the time 24.5km clicked over on the Garmin I could feel that I was fading badly. I was trying to concentrate on making my lines smoother. When I got some advice on where to look ahead, that seemed to improve it a bit, but I'm still a bit messy when I'm putting bigger efforts in.

I've got a 1 hour sprint intervals session lined up for Tuesday morning and some high intensity intervals (45min) lined up for Thursday with a coach I know. Today is a rest day. Racing tomorrow, moved up to C grade for the first time - that should be good fun. It'll be harder work this time. 8)

Saturday I'm going to line up some time on DGV to get more laps on there.

Derny Driver

Re: Track training thread - how was yours?

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:55 am

Are you doing the State Champs g?

I ran 2 back to back sessions at our velodrome last night. First one was 6 teams pursuit teams of 4, a lot of riders on the track, we ran 2 teams at a time starting front and back straight. With warm up and warm down behind the moto. Pretty hectic but a good hard session.
After that I did another 2 hour session with 2 individuals, specific drills using the derny ...points /scratch race simulations. Got home at 10:15pm.

I think I may be coming up to DGV Sunday morning for Alex's TP training this weekend, not 100% sure yet.

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:02 pm

I took the pursuit bike out on the road this arvo, does that count? Still dialing in my position for the Masters Champs next week, I think I have it sorted now and have pretty much run out of options for adjustment so it will have to do.
I did a couple of laps out to Kurnell (bike lane, no side streets, safe to cruise on a track bike) at a moderate pace to get used to the position a bit more. It didn't really help that there was a decent wind blowing, making the 94.5 gear a grind.

I'll commute tomorrow and focus on blasting some standing starts, race friday evening (crit), easy ride saturday, race sunday (crit), probably race at hurstville oval monday night (track) and then just active recovery sessions on the rollers until the champs start on thursday.

I'm entered for the Pursuit on thursday, Points on saturday and Scratch on sunday. Is anyone else entered?

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:47 am

I've thrown my hat in for sprints on Friday. Prep up until Christmas was going good. Knee probs, holiday & working away have really stuffed things up for me. I'm prob only going to be putting down a properly timed flying 200 for a baseline to work with for next season. I was aiming for the kilo as well, but I don't see any hope for that one.

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:40 pm

If you're looking at the kilo I assume you're masters 1 (or 2? Do they do 750?)
The medal times aren't always that hot, a 1:12 might bag a bronze.

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:42 pm

*which is faster than me at the moment! If the kilo was before the pursuit I may have entered and had another go in the gates under race conditions.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:32 pm

Yeah Masters 2. 1:12 might be interesting. Last year I was at 1:17 on the outdoor track hitting a headwind 3 times in the 2 1/2 laps and no aerobars. No idea where I'd be at indoors. I know I'm faster this year, but no idea how much. Club champs kilo is tomorrow night, so I guess I'll just have to see. I might be kicking myself. I counted myself out of the running as I haven't spent any time on the aerobars as well as the crap buildup.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:32 pm

Did some HIIT today, first time I've been back in ages to the place I sometimes do training at. They've got power-meters and good software to track everything.

Wild difference this time around. :shock: My power has improved a heck of a lot from what it was. Last time was over a year ago, struggling at 197w. Now, I had the thing set at 240w and it really didn't feel like I was working hard at all, certainly not feeling it in the legs. Looks like a test is in order to see where it is at for real.

Quite good to get a bit of confirmation that the hard work over the holidays has paid off. 8)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:27 pm

:cool:

Foo

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

KGB

Postby KGB » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:00 pm

Been sick all week, haven't touched the bike since the weekend. Decided to turn up at the NSW masters pursuits today anyway since I had paid my entry. Predictably, I did not ride well!

Here's hoping for a miraculous recovery by the pointscore on Saturday!

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:32 pm

I'm wondering how long it takes to start loosing condition if your not doing much training and mainly racing? I've been getting away with some good race results and very few training kms this last few weeks but I'm sure it cant last. My road kms have virtually stopped since starting track last month. What sort of training do you guys undertake?

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Cossie Phil wrote:I'm wondering how long it takes to start loosing condition if your not doing much training and mainly racing? I've been getting away with some good race results and very few training kms this last few weeks but I'm sure it cant last. My road kms have virtually stopped since starting track last month. What sort of training do you guys undertake?
You can actually go for a while like that but you will eventually lose your endurance and have to start doing the road miles again. With say 1-2 road rides per week with a race and some track work you can maintain that for months as long as the races are short and don't involve massive climbs and stuff. Racing is the key. If you stop racing you will decline quickly.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:54 pm

KGB wrote: Decided to turn up at the NSW masters pursuits today anyway since I had paid my entry. Predictably, I did not ride well!
Tough event to do if you are not 100%.
My brother took GOLD in MMAS5 pursuit today, so happy for him :D

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:13 pm

Finding the family/work/bike balance is challenging! After the Masters Team Pursuit in a few weeks Im planning to get back to Tuesday/Thursday Mornings at Homebush and a 120k ride on Saturday mornings. I did Homebush last week and battled to stay with my normal group, compared to normally being one of the few riders to swap turns for the entire 25k hitout. From what Im hearing, racing will be on Friday nights at DGV through winter and our club race night is on Fridays now, so it will be 40k hard/fast Tues/Thurs, race Fri night, 120k long climb/cruise ride Saturday. I think that should get approval from the boss and hopefully keep me progressing towards my goals:)

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:16 pm

Sounds like there were some great results at DGV today, hopefully you come good by the weekend KGB:)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:27 pm

Cossie Phil wrote: racing will be on Friday nights at DGV through winter and our club race night is on Fridays now, so it will be 40k hard/fast Tues/Thurs, race Fri night, 120k long climb/cruise ride Saturday. I think that should get approval from the boss and hopefully keep me progressing towards my goals:)
sounds good :D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:31 pm

Cossie Phil wrote:Finding the family/work/bike balance is challenging! After the Masters Team Pursuit in a few weeks Im planning to get back to Tuesday/Thursday Mornings at Homebush and a 120k ride on Saturday mornings. I did Homebush last week and battled to stay with my normal group, compared to normally being one of the few riders to swap turns for the entire 25k hitout. From what Im hearing, racing will be on Friday nights at DGV through winter and our club race night is on Fridays now, so it will be 40k hard/fast Tues/Thurs, race Fri night, 120k long climb/cruise ride Saturday. I think that should get approval from the boss and hopefully keep me progressing towards my goals:)
That'll suit me fine as well - as it is now, work is starting to get busy. I spent tonight tied to my mobile and email waiting for stuff to come through that I had to deal with urgently.

I will probably continue to do my own training unless something special is happening and just do the race nights.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:43 pm

It would have been good if you could make it to DGV last night G, racing on the boards is nothing short of awesome!! Im super keen to do RAW now:D

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:07 am

Didn't know it was general racing, or I'd have gone down there. Next time.

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Fri May 30, 2014 7:37 pm

Saw my first bad crash on the boards last Wednesday night at DGV. Although I didn't see it go down, I could hear the bangs and crashes behind me at the 145 lap mark. Reports were a simple front wheel slip high on the bank sent the rider sliding down into the path of other riders. I haven't seen a broken collarbone before, but have now...poor guys. The worst injured was one of our LACC guys, in a lot of pain, hopefully well and truly on the mend now.

KGB

Postby KGB » Fri May 30, 2014 9:10 pm

I wasn't there but got the commissaire email about the three riders needing medical clearance before racing again. I know one personally, hope they are all ok quickly.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri May 30, 2014 10:14 pm

Hate to say if at least one guy broke his collarbone last wednesday he won't be anywhere near being well or on the mend yet... I know as I had mine plated just over 4 weeks ago which was two weeks after I broke it racing on the track and it still hurts!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat May 31, 2014 5:08 am

Bugger! :(

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

siennatrack

Postby siennatrack » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:06 pm

Cossie Phil wrote:Saw my first bad crash on the boards last Wednesday night at DGV. Although I didn't see it go down, I could hear the bangs and crashes behind me at the 145 lap mark. Reports were a simple front wheel slip high on the bank sent the rider sliding down into the path of other riders. I haven't seen a broken collarbone before, but have now...poor guys. The worst injured was one of our LACC guys, in a lot of pain, hopefully well and truly on the mend now.
Does this mean there is training on wed nights at dgv and if so what time, how much and what type of training

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:25 pm

Sure is. $10 for 160 lap session. Gets pretty quick so usually will have a second slower group form in the sprinters lane. 7pm sharp.