Track bike setup?

tasroadster

Track bike setup?

Postby tasroadster » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:16 pm

As a new 40 something track rider and road racer I am in need of some bike fit / set up advice.

Do you simply set the track bike as per the road bike fit?
Is the saddle set back the same ? and seat height?

I have played around with this and just can't seem to find a suitable setting.....

The track bike which has 167.5 mm cranks, I am 189cm tall and my road bike setup use 177.5 mm cranks.

Do I require longer cranks? or are these suitable for my height?

Any help greatly appreciated.

:D

foo on patrol

Re: Track bike setup?

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:40 pm

I run 175mm on the track and am 180mm in height. :wink:

How flexible are you and what is your experience? :?

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:07 pm

tasroadster wrote:As a new 40 something track rider and road racer I am in need of some bike fit / set up advice.

Do you simply set the track bike as per the road bike fit?
Is the saddle set back the same ? and seat height?

I have played around with this and just can't seem to find a suitable setting.....

The track bike which has 167.5 mm cranks, I am 189cm tall and my road bike setup use 177.5 mm cranks.

Do I require longer cranks? or are these suitable for my height?

Any help greatly appreciated.

:D
167.5 should be fine. My son is 186cm and uses 175 on road and 167.5 on the track. Basically yes, use the tape measure to set everything up similar in reach, seat height etc. Then move your seat forward slightly on the track bike and drop the handlebars a couple of cm lower than the roadie. Remember you are only on the track bike for short periods of time, the position should not be too relaxed. Set up is probably somewhere between a time trial bike set up and a road bike set up.
Track bikes often have a slightly smaller frame, slightly lower in the front with deeper drops in the handlebar bend, seat slightly forward for a more aggressive elbow bent type of position. If the road frame and the track frame are the same size I would use a slightly shorter stem so you are not too stretched out.

anth73

Postby anth73 » Thu May 26, 2016 7:01 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Seeking advice on saddle setback on my track bike as I'm new to track. I run 6cm of setback on my road bikes based on the usual KOPS method. When setting up my track bike I set it up with only 3.5cm of saddle setback but am wondering if this is a too little?

I tried to picture myself being rotated forward and down around the bottom bracket given the stack height on the track bike is 20mm less. Seat height also went up about 5mm and a 20mm longer stem went on compared to my road bikes. Handlebar is the same on all my bikes.

Thanks
Website: http://www.bcycling.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Facebook: Banyule Cycling Club
Twitter: @BanyuleCC

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu May 26, 2016 8:22 pm

anth73 wrote: When setting up my track bike I set it up with only 3.5cm of saddle setback but am wondering if this is a too little?
Unless racing sprint events only, setback needs to be 5cm...