Used track bike - what to look for?

march83

Re: Used track bike - what to look for?

Postby march83 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:22 pm

Same as Dalai, I've got powermeters on everything and the track meter is one of the least useful. I don't even race on the track any more so i'm only really interested in tracking progression from training, fatigue, efforts and stuff like that. Without it, I'd have holes all over my PMC and other missing data from my overall so to me it's very valuable.

We don't need a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they're not nice to have. If xplora wants a powermeter, let him have a powermeter, geez.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:55 pm

march83 wrote:We don't need a lot of things, but that doesn't mean they're not nice to have.
Amen to that! :wink:

Cossie Phil

Postby Cossie Phil » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:23 pm

Lee, don't worry about power for the track, it's more about picking the right gearing for your current form and the type of race. Takes a while to get your head around and will be more beneficial than measuring power, although power would be nice. My experience with track frame size vs road is slightly smaller for track. I ride a 58 on the road and a 57 on the track for a similar height to you. I kicked off on a Felt TK2, still riding it now. Just get something basic in the right size to get your runs up with, before you invest in something nice. It will take a while before you feel comfortable on the track, especially if you start at DGV. It's a whole new world from road, but your road racing will love the track influence:)

Cheers,

Phil.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:57 pm

Yeah allegedly you learn how to sprint on the track lol and I have a suspicion the bug will bite, especially with young kids - velodrome work seems to be the order of the day if they are under 16 and you want them to race.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:57 am

Track teaches you how to handle thr bike and ride in tight bunches. [emoji6]

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Frostee

Postby Frostee » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:35 am

Could someone please post or PM a link for the track sales facebook page? I cant find it. :(

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:28 am

Frostee wrote:Could someone please post or PM a link for the track sales facebook page? I cant find it. :(
https://www.facebook.com/groups/567017906702302/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Track Cycling Marketplace and news

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:42 am

Cossie Phil wrote:My experience with track frame size vs road is slightly smaller for track. I ride a 58 on the road and a 57 on the track for a similar height to you.
I went same size initially. Now with a 57cm TT (instead of 56cm) as my new bars have less stack and reach than my previous bars (Scatto's vs Deda Pistas).

Ideally get something mid-range second hand like the Dolan KGB bought for his brother. Will get you a feel for the track without breaking the bank and give you a few seasons to figure out what you want / need.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:58 am

Xplora wrote:When minhyy is offering frames etc it's useful to take stock of the options and opportunities, because track bikes are very very different and I wouldn't ride regularly as a blush and giggle affair, I would train and race and I suspect that power to measure progress as thr races are shorter and more intense would be helpful to me. If I could put a bike with power onto the track for 400-600 why not
Well, you'll only be looking at power after the race, not before it. Because you can't have a Garmin/bike computer on your bars, and mounting it on the seat post as I've noticed some people try to do might be questionable too depending on the comm at the event and their view on it.

A lot of the local races all tend to be fairly short, blink and you miss it (or rather, eliminated), so power meter for that is not really that necessary unless you don't want your PMC graph being messed up. My track bike is about the same size as my road bikes (54cm Cerv P5, 54cm Giant TCR SL1, medium Specialized Langster Pro).

Look for any decent alloy track bike. Felt like what Cossie Phil has, or a Langster Pro, or a Dolan. A lot of people really don't ride super exotic track bikes anyway - and they still go alright. If you weren't so tall - you could have borrowed my Langster Pro for a while.

You see quite a lot of spindly retro looking frames getting about with strong riders on them who can dish out punishment...

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:16 am

g-boaf wrote:
Xplora wrote: Look for any decent alloy track bike. Felt like what Cossie Phil has, or a Langster Pro, or a Dolan. A lot of people really don't ride super exotic track bikes anyway - and they still go alright. If you weren't so tall - you could have borrowed my Langster Pro for a while.
The simplicity of track is what got me. I bought an ebay 'fixie' Hillbrick pista and the nsomeone told me it's a track bike, so I took it to the track and was hooked. For $400 I've been flogging this baby for a while and to be honest, not a lot goes wrong on the track, even more so if you are indoors. My advice is to drop the whole notion of being a weight weenie. Track stuff is about stiffness and weight is secondary and marginal impact at best. I thought really hard about going to something exotic for a while, not that there really is as big performance difference compared to say, road or mtb, but after 2 crashes, I'm happy to keep riding my hillbrick. That's the other thing, yes you will eventually crash and imo they are worse than road and mtb crashes!

*Edit, on power I seriously wouldn't bother. Track is a lot more than just pure power, the fun part is positioning and strategising. Sometimes you even get to rub elbows.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:32 am

The Langster Pro I got was 7kg right on the dot, with its standard wheels, standard saddle, standard bars, Garmin GSC-10 and everything else totally standard (excepting the 48/15 which got ditched quick smart). There is just about nothing on those bikes, so they are damn light to begin with. :lol:
Calvin27 wrote:That's the other thing, yes you will eventually crash and imo they are worse than road and mtb crashes!
Inevitable when you stop pedaling. I've briefly done that and got a kick through the leg, but been very lucky to have not had my leg straight at the time - so it was just a sharp reminder to keep spinning. I've seen some nasty track crashes though at high speed - not good, especially on the boards.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:49 am

g-boaf wrote: Inevitable when you stop pedaling. I've briefly done that and got a kick through the leg, but been very lucky to have not had my leg straight at the time - so it was just a sharp reminder to keep spinning. I've seen some nasty track crashes though at high speed - not good, especially on the boards.
Yep I was referring to boards, I've never crashed on an outdoor velodrome. But the boards seem to just take huge chunks of skin right off.

It's not just the stop spinning too. It could be too low speed, slipping on tape, clipping someone (or vice versa). I've also had a few near misses in the early days chasing the pack up front and then realisign you are gonig in too hot and have to brake to not hit them (sides are full of other riders) I think my knee exploded a bit trying to stop with just the legs and burning after the chase effort. It's a real balls out sport!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:38 am

Calvin27 wrote:It's not just the stop spinning too. It could be too low speed, slipping on tape, clipping someone (or vice versa).
Or have some idiot steer onto the duckboards on the bend infront of you at 55km/hr and fully somersaulting them and their bike... :evil:

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:37 am

dalai47 wrote:
Calvin27 wrote:It's not just the stop spinning too. It could be too low speed, slipping on tape, clipping someone (or vice versa).
Or have some idiot steer onto the duckboards on the bend infront of you at 55km/hr and fully somersaulting them and their bike... :evil:
Phew, I had to check your blog to make sure it wasn't me haha... :D
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:31 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Phew, I had to check your blog to make sure it wasn't me haha... :D
?????????????? :shock:
g-boaf wrote:Because you can't have a Garmin/bike computer on your bars, and mounting it on the seat post as I've noticed some people try to do might be questionable too depending on the comm at the event and their view on it.
I've kept the computer on the bars at club races and only questioned once. Even had it on the bars at States and National Masters - just had to have the screen taped over.

I do now have the computer mounted under the seat on the BT. Club / trainer Planet X bike is still on the bars.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:16 pm

It obviously depends on the comm and how strictly they enforce the rules.

Screen taped over is okay too, as you say. Others just keep the Garmin in jersey pocket.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:55 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
g-boaf wrote: Inevitable when you stop pedaling. I've briefly done that and got a kick through the leg, but been very lucky to have not had my leg straight at the time - so it was just a sharp reminder to keep spinning. I've seen some nasty track crashes though at high speed - not good, especially on the boards.
Yep I was referring to boards, I've never crashed on an outdoor velodrome. But the boards seem to just take huge chunks of skin right off.

It's not just the stop spinning too. It could be too low speed, slipping on tape, clipping someone (or vice versa). I've also had a few near misses in the early days chasing the pack up front and then realisign you are gonig in too hot and have to brake to not hit them (sides are full of other riders) I think my knee exploded a bit trying to stop with just the legs and burning after the chase effort. It's a real balls out sport!
Trust me, you rip shreds of skin off on the outdoor asphalt tracks! :shock: Ask me how I know? :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Jul 31, 2016 3:45 pm

Just a note - tried the track at DGV yesterday, absolutely awesome. My lungs were killing me and legs were heavy but damn, it was fun. Like a roller coaster. And the bank is so scary!

Operation track bike is definitely back on the agenda. Sooner the better.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:16 pm

80k on the road is easy. 20 laps on a 250mtr track, that's hard work
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:40 pm

Yeah update again, bought a track bike from trek52. Looks good. It's red. Hopefully it goes faster. :mrgreen:

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:32 am

Xplora wrote:Yeah update again, bought a track bike from trek52. Looks good. It's red. Hopefully it goes faster. :mrgreen:
Don't worry mate, the track is a strange place. Engine is most important - that and the size of the blob on top of the bike.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:41 pm

I'm a skinny blob so hopefully that helps!

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:20 pm

Calvin27 wrote: Engine is most important - that and the size of the blob on top of the bike.
Experience is king in track racing.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:52 pm

Xplora wrote:Yeah update again, bought a track bike from trek52. Looks good. It's red. Hopefully it goes faster. :mrgreen:
Is trek52 still selling stuff? He must of had the best N+1 collection around prior
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Send him a PM. Never know your luck on a rainy day.