NSW State Titles ...who's doing what?

Derny Driver

NSW State Titles ...who's doing what?

Postby Derny Driver » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:36 pm

Anyone entered?
Ive got a lady I coach in the TT, pursuit, and Team Pursuit.
My brother and friends in Points, scratch, pursuits and Team Pursuits.
Will be good racing as always, although numbers are down in some events.

Strawburger

Re: NSW State Titles ...who's doing what?

Postby Strawburger » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:45 am

Mikesbytes has talked me into the team pursuit. Whilst I've got got the bike set up I'm going to do the individual pursuit as well.

Absolutely no idea how to monitor the pacing so I'm going to wing it!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:01 pm

Strawburger wrote:Mikesbytes has talked me into the team pursuit. Whilst I've got got the bike set up I'm going to do the individual pursuit as well.

I'll be there for pursuits.
I have heaps of schedules and can probably walk the line for you if you want it.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:21 pm

Points, Scratch, Team (with Strawburger) and Individual Pursuits

Not many entered in the points race in my age group, it will be combined for sure and unfortunately that will probably be with the age grade younger which has a big field.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Derny Driver wrote:
Strawburger wrote:Mikesbytes has talked me into the team pursuit. Whilst I've got got the bike set up I'm going to do the individual pursuit as well.

I'll be there for pursuits.
I have heaps of schedules and can probably walk the line for you if you want it.
That would be awesome! I can't say no to that offer, thank you!!!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:09 am

TT and sprints for me

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:00 pm

I'm doing the 2000mtr team pursuit. Correction I'm doing the 4000mtr team pursuit. Correction I'm doing the 2000mtr team pursuit :)

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:40 pm

mikesbytes wrote:I'm doing the 2000mtr team pursuit. Correction I'm doing the 4000mtr team pursuit. Correction I'm doing the 2000mtr team pursuit :)
hahahaha :D :D :D

KGB

Postby KGB » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:52 pm

I'm in everything except the sprint. Supposed to be anyway. I'm not on the start list for the points despite being charged by STG. Uuurgh.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:25 am

KGB wrote:I'm in everything except the sprint. Supposed to be anyway. I'm not on the start list for the points despite being charged by STG. Uuurgh.
Give CNSW a call, they will be able to correct it prior to fronting

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:11 am

Derny Driver wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:I'm doing the 2000mtr team pursuit. Correction I'm doing the 4000mtr team pursuit. Correction I'm doing the 2000mtr team pursuit :)
hahahaha :D :D :D
I missed whatever the email was. Are they talking about changing the distances? If so, why?

As for advertising/running a program that doesn't follow the tech regs, wouldn't be the first time. :|

KGB

Postby KGB » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:49 am

Apparently the tech regs changed this year Alex. All males will do a 4000m team pursuit and females do a 3000m.
They sent an email stating the entry page was wrong and new distances would apply. Then sent another email stating ignore the first email, old distances would still be used.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:50 pm

KGB wrote:Apparently the tech regs changed this year Alex. All males will do a 4000m team pursuit and females do a 3000m.
They sent an email stating the entry page was wrong and new distances would apply. Then sent another email stating ignore the first email, old distances would still be used.
Who dreamed up the idea that masters men and women should do a distance longer at the States championships than applies in the tech regs at National and World level? :?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:05 pm

I called them about another matter and while I was on the phone I checked that the individual pursuit was still 2,000/3,000mtrs and it was. Then a couple of hours later we received another email advising that they decision had been reversed and they were switching back to 2,000/3,000mtrs, which is probably a good thing as there will be less teams catching each other

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:30 pm

Brawlo almost made Paul Craft's voice rise to fever pitch as he launched a huge attack 3 laps out from the first sprint in the points race this arvo. The turn of speed took me by surprise too as the big unit led out and managed to hold on for 4th and 1 measley point. Soon after that the current world points champ, the 2009 world points champ and the world hour record holder decided to flex some muscle. Wow. Jayson lapped the field twice by himself and amassed 63 points! The big 3 were incredible. Brawlo rode nicely in very classy company and was able to go with all the surges but was unable to get among the medals. Well done mate.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:00 pm

^^ 8) ^^

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:44 pm

Nice to catch up with you DD. See you again next Sunday

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:18 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Nice to catch up with you DD. See you again next Sunday
Ditto Mike :D

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:35 pm

NSW Team's Pursuit State Titles today in Sydney, I managed to walk the line and join the celebrations for the womens all age, mens all-age, and mens 150+.

My ladies team from Illawarra club have trained hard for 6 weeks and on the day executed our plan perfectly. 3 of the 4 have only been riding track for a matter of weeks, the other is a world champion. To skill the 3 newbies up and see them ride flawlessly today makes me very proud.
The Illawarra 150+ team include my brother and have trained hard and were never going to be beaten. Again it was a textbook ride both in qualifying and the final, they were fast and smooth and won with relative ease.
Illawarra didnt enter an All-Age team but the St George boys asked me to man the stopwatch for their rides today, 3 of the 4 are ex-Illawarra (and good mates of mine), and the 4th is a friend also. I have helped train them for many years now and have lost count of the wins they have had. Last year they won the National Title and again, they trusted me with the watch. In todays qualifying we just rode a schedule 3 seconds quicker than the best time which was set by Central Coast. In the final we went faster and once we were well in front I just kept them at that pace.

After the Team Pursuits were the scratch races ...KGB won his one and looked great out there, very smooth pedaller, Brawlo was strong again in his race which was dominated by the 3 world champs, Mikes team looked good on the track but I was running around after my teams so I didnt see the final time.
More next weekend....

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:07 pm

Well done DD, you had well prepared teams and they nailed it. Congratulations on some fine work. I wasn't involved in prep at all this year (rest of life) but was asked last minute to come along to, well, not sure really, just be me. I think our 150+ guys making the gold final was about the best we could manage. Like you I also called for another team at their request and they made a final but just dipped out on the medal in the all ages bronze final in a very tight contest. I couldn't hang for scratch races.

It was disappointing to see the much lower number of teams this year. Entries down 32% on last two years, and I'm sure more like half the number of teams compared with years before that (but I can't validate because CNSW website results archive is broken).
2016: 15
2015: 21
2014: 23

It's a real problem and if not addressed threatens future viability of the event. Great grass roots work like you and your club do more than their fair share - the problems are elsewhere I'm afraid (mostly ostriches with their heads in the sand).

KGB

Postby KGB » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks DD and thanks to Alex - that was my team you called in the pursuit. I was pretty disappointed to miss the bronze in that one, I really thought we had them. It was a good race though and got me fired up for the Scratch which I managed to win so came home happy.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:54 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:Well done DD, you had well prepared teams and they nailed it. Congratulations on some fine work...).
Thanks Alex. I told my teams after the event that the highly respected coach and world renowned guru Alex Simmons commented on their precision riding, and they were very happy indeed. Always nice to have comments like that from outsiders. So thanks mate, you are very kind.

To see your club not enter a team in the all-age TP, to see 3 guys with rainbow stripes, probably the 3 best riders in the stadium, sitting in plastic chairs watching the final, well I have words to describe it actually but not for public broadcast. I'll leave it at that.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:12 pm

Was really pleased with the DHBC team, we only had 30 minutes training as a complete team prior and delivered a DHBC 2000mtr PB slicing 3 seconds off the record (no clip-ons). The previous DHBC PB was set by Mark and myself (with clip-ons). We also got within 2 seconds of the Bronze medal ride off.

Alex in regards to the number of teams, I recall years ago in the sub1503000mtr averaging 49.5kph to come 11th, about mid field. I don't recall what 150+ or Woman's had, but definitely there were more teams.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:55 am

Derny Driver wrote:To see your club not enter a team in the all-age TP, to see 3 guys with rainbow stripes, probably the 3 best riders in the stadium, sitting in plastic chairs watching the final, well I have words to describe it actually but not for public broadcast. I'll leave it at that.
And the other rider won his scratch race. Like you I hate to see riders not race.

However there are most likely a few sides to that story I guess you nor I are aware of. As unfortunate as it is, sometimes tough disciplinary decisions have to be made, standard of bike rider and potentially innocent bystanders notwithstanding. Chief Comm was better informed than me on the broader issues and he commented to me that it was the right call. I think that's quite telling from someone of his standing. I'm in two minds about whether I need to know more or not.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:03 am

KGB wrote:Thanks DD and thanks to Alex - that was my team you called in the pursuit. I was pretty disappointed to miss the bronze in that one, I really thought we had them. It was a good race though and got me fired up for the Scratch which I managed to win so came home happy.
Well you guys lopped 3 seconds off your heat time, the benefit of executing a much better pacing strategy for the opening kilometre (as I said to Peter after the qualifying, you needed to moderate the start effort quite a bit for the final). But when the opposing team drops ~10 seconds off their heat time, it sort of begs the question, WTH were they doing in qualifying? They probably should have been riding for gold!

Despite that, I thought you would get up with 3 to go as the 3rd St George rider was cracking but somehow he got back on and held on when their strong man brought them home. It was close!

No substitute for specific preparation. :)