What cranks?

Frostee

What cranks?

Postby Frostee » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:30 am

Calling all Felt TK1 riders.

Ive just got my hands on a s/h TK1 frame, and the Omnium crank I had for it does not fit. :cry:
The arm of the spider fouls the chainstay. So Ive discovered something called chainline distance. Now the previous owners told me they had Dura Ace cranks. SRAM list the omnium's chainline as 42mm, the Drua Ace is listed as the same distance, so Im not sure how they would fit.

So what cranks are all you other owners running?

HappyHumber

Re: What cranks?

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:10 pm

I know Omniums are external bearing type BBs; SRAM's GXP set up specifically. It could be just you're missing a spacer between the drive side bearing case and the frame which will push out the chainline to the required spec - assuming the correct width spacer. I'm guessing, but probably 2 or 3mm.

There's probably an SRAM document around detailing the correct sequence, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
Last edited by HappyHumber on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Frostee

Postby Frostee » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:16 pm

That sounds about right, but I have heard bad things about using spacers.

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:31 pm

They do make the spacers for a reason. ... They might be bad when used out of spec or for some non-standard bodge; but for standard frame proportions and BB shell sizes, they are fine.

Did you buy the Omniums new? You'd probably find they came with the correct spacers to acheive the correct chainline. I haven't bought a external BB track crank specifically, but the couple of double & triple ring cranks I have bnought (albeit Shimano) have come with spacers. they also form a sort of washer between the bearing case and frame material.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Frostee

Postby Frostee » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:44 pm

That makes sense Kym. The cranks were s/h, so no spacers supplied, but since your first post I have seem them online.
Thanks for your help, a $5 spacer is a much better option than another set of $400 cranks.

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:25 am

Omniums have known clearance issues with a number of frames. They must have relatively thick spider arms