Calga TT

DaveQB

Re: Calga TT

Postby DaveQB » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:58 am

Had my second go at Calga 43km TT course on Sunday. I was hoping to knock off 5 minutes from my 1:27 down to 1:22.

I thought getting into the teens would be great but unlikely. I knew I had to finish with an average speed of 32 something km/h. On the way out I was at 30.4 or so. It's faster on the way back but I thought 32 was out of the question. Well my average speed was rising and rising and I got to 31.5 with 10km to go. Then I hit 32.4. I was at 41.5km with my clock at 1:18. Go go go go! Time ticks to 1:19 and I am at 42.4km and no finish line in sight. Where the hell it is....oh here it is. Hahahaha.

1:19:24
https://www.strava.com/activities/738678279

Really enjoyed competing on the bike, even if it was only against myself and my own goals.
Ht: 182cm | Wt: 84kg | Bikes: Felt AR1 2016, Felt B2 2013
Sucessful Trades --> files.dward.us/Cycling/BNA-Trades.txt

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:04 pm

Congrats on cracking the 1:20 barrier
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:13 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Congrats on cracking the 1:20 barrier
Thanks! :)

I have a feeling cracking 1:10 will be a lot harder :wink:

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:51 pm

DaveQB wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:Congrats on cracking the 1:20 barrier
Thanks! :)

I have a feeling cracking 1:10 will be a lot harder :wink:
But more satisfying, well done, I am going to start at Calga again next month I hope.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:58 pm

ft_critical wrote: But more satisfying, well done, I am going to start at Calga again next month I hope.
Indeed. It might require some cycling specific training.

Hope to see you there next month.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:28 pm

Great job!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:52 am

Strawburger wrote:Great job!
I am going to assume you're talking to me :)
Thanks.

Looking at my schedule, I might not be able to attend Calga again (and get my free entry) until February :(

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:11 pm

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:14 pm

Nanny state

Those who rode knew the risks, which were low. There was only the point where we chucked a u-ie and that needed only one official

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:43 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:14 pm
Nanny state

Those who rode knew the risks, which were low. There was only the point where we chucked a u-ie and that needed only one official
Perhaps those who rode knew the risks but they are not the only road users. Traffic management is for the protection of all road users.

You need much better road signage than Calga TT ever used and at least two officials for a U-turn on public roads, one to stop traffic approaching from each direction. Having just one official is inadequate and IMO dangerous. One of my athletes was nearly killed at that U-turn when t-boned by a motorcyclist (the sleepy U-turn attendant wasn't up to scratch).

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:45 am

Very disappointing news.

So what's the solution here?

Increase cost to cover the required traffic management? Numbers will drop off if fees go up I imagine making it harder and harder to cover costs.

Find a new location? There are few places to ride 40km uninterrupted in Sydney that are flat and not insanely boring (Penrith lakes springs to mind, but it's not exactly an interesting loop).

Mothball it and lost another Sydney metro event?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:37 pm

5-6 years ago a mate and I looked into setting up a TT series at a range of suitable locations within ~2.5 hrs drive of Sydney. In part it was because we back then knew Calga was going to die, it was just a matter of time.

It was about the same time when the same thing happened to the Kurrajong course for the state road champs (again the expectation that last year's management could just be rolled over doesn't hold sway as increasing spread of urbanisation makes such locations less attractive). With 3 months notice we got a championship race up, and with a supportive local council and police. But I never ever wanted to attempt that again. Normally you want a minimum of 18 months lead time to get it right.

Suitable TT courses are available on Sunday mornings with pretty benign roads (from a traffic POV) but they all still needed a mandatory minimum level of traffic management (more than has ever been in place for Calga). Also most such benign traffic locations unfortunately also lack a suitable staging area (sufficient parking, toilets, access without needing to drive on course etc) and to accommodate these needs requires additional resources. I wrote my own TT timing system which I ran in parallel at a state champs one year to test it (it worked well).

In the end we couldn't make the $ numbers stack up. To make it fly requires a large sponsor. I didn't pursue it further as rest of life got in the way, and I moved away from Sydney not long after.

I would like to have given it a crack but we weren't prepared to swallow the financial loss ourselves.

Calga can continue, but it would require a corporate sponsor prepared to cover the main costs for a number of years. The marketing return for helping mainly a handful of dozen mostly masters cyclists ain't exactly something to excite the marketing department of many businesses. Especially when it would also be considered negative publicity in the eyes of the local motoring public.

Penrith sucks as a TT venue. It's too short and you end up with a lot of riders on different laps on a what's not much more than a bike path.

march83

Postby march83 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:06 pm

Has anyone ever run an event on the M7 cycleway? Has its own set of problems, but there's no traffic...

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:28 pm

march83 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:06 pm
Has anyone ever run an event on the M7 cycleway? Has its own set of problems, but there's no traffic...
Sure there's traffic - in the form or pedestrians, dogs, kids on bikes...plus 63 entrances/exits to the path where you'd need a traffic controller. It's quiet on Tuesday night's in the middle of winter though
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:14 pm

I wrote a little note to Central Coast council voicing my desire for this event to continue. Don't know if it is a waste of time or not, but I've done it.

https://www.centralcoast.nsw.gov.au/form/feedback

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:29 pm

DaveQB wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:14 pm
I wrote a little note to Central Coast council voicing my desire for this event to continue. Don't know if it is a waste of time or not, but I've done it.

https://www.centralcoast.nsw.gov.au/form/feedback
Playing devil's advocate here ('cause I'm as sad as any to see this go, along with the Cervelo series, Christmas Carnivals, Friday night track, CCCC races and a stack of other races which have fallen off the calendar) but, what exactly is in it for the Council to throw some coin at it to cover the extra operational costs?

Save for the event organisers, the event generates no economic activity for the region. It's not like people stay and spend money, or find a hotel bed for the night.

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:58 pm

I buy petrol and a bottle of Coke :D

But seriously, I understand.

But are councils just out to make a profit like a private company? Many decisions they make aren't profitable but rather, to help the people.
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:29 pm

Playing devil's advocate here ('cause I'm as sad as any to see this go, along with the Cervelo series, Christmas Carnivals, Friday night track, CCCC races and a stack of other races which have fallen off the calendar) but, what exactly is in it for the Council to throw some coin at it to cover the extra operational costs?

Save for the event organisers, the event generates no economic activity for the region. It's not like people stay and spend money, or find a hotel bed for the night.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:36 pm

I use to have a feed at Pie in the Sky or that other one, I forget its name.

What about the course that Macarthur uses? I've ridden it once about 10 years ago

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:47 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:36 pm
What about the course that Macarthur uses? I've ridden it once about 10 years ago
Ridge road or Moreton Park road?
We're looking at Ridge road and will be talking with Brad.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:27 am

DaveQB wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:58 pm
But are councils just out to make a profit like a private company? Many decisions they make aren't profitable but rather, to help the people.
Agree but it's about helping the people in their Council area.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:28 am

mikesbytes wrote:
That's in a different LGA.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:36 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:28 am
mikesbytes wrote:
That's in a different LGA.
Ha, sounds like they needed the start/end to be at the shops close to the turnaround point. Of course that opens up other issuess

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:48 pm

DaveQB wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:47 am
mikesbytes wrote:
Ridge road or Moreton Park road?
We're looking at Ridge road and will be talking with Brad.
Looking at the map I think it was Moreton Park road I raced on, similar to Calga but shorter. I liked the course. If I have ridden Ridge rd, it would of been a long time ago, I've ridden a lot of those roads but know knows

DaveQB

Postby DaveQB » Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:47 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:48 pm
Looking at the map I think it was Moreton Park road I raced on, similar to Calga but shorter. I liked the course. If I have ridden Ridge rd, it would of been a long time ago, I've ridden a lot of those roads but know knows
Moreton Park road is great because it's quiet. It's my regular ride; ride it a few times a week. Terrible road surface but the road is only for residents as it doesn't get you to any commerical proprieties.

It's a good option but there's no parking locations for more than 10 people. But good idea, I'll mention it to Brad.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:41 pm

DaveQB wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:47 pm
mikesbytes wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:48 pm
Moreton Park road is great because it's quiet. It's my regular ride; ride it a few times a week. Terrible road surface but the road is only for residents as it doesn't get you to any commerical proprieties.

It's a good option but there's no parking locations for more than 10 people. But good idea, I'll mention it to Brad.
Not seeking to tell others how to suck eggs, so take this as general comment:

There are a bajillion roads that are great to ride on, but the vast majority are pretty crappy when it comes to hosting a cycle race / TT. You need facilities for staging the event, sufficient parking facilities and toilets at a minimum. And you really don't want a scenario where to get to the event requires driving on the same route as the riders are using for the race/TT.

You should also ensure communications are possible at all points along the route (at least a decent 3G signal), or have communications which can substitute in case there is a need to contact emergency services. First aid at ready as well. Can an air support helicopter land all along the route safely if needed (this has been needed at Gunning on more than one occasion)?

You also need a safe location for start and finish areas. Lots of room for the starting facilities and traffic management, and space for the judging "tent" or whatever set up is to be used for recording finishers. Sign on / registration area.

Think about rider behaviours, e.g. where will they warm up, get changed etc.? Will they be making noise and disturbing anyone local?

Where possible a minimum of cross roads or intersections to reduce traffic management requirements. Out and back is typical for TT, although a loop can also be good option, generally involves more intersections though. Always consider how well or otherwise a driver of a vehicle will go on the road with cyclists travelling in both directions (imagine all vehicle types and driver behaviours). Do not assume they will handle the situation like we would like them to. Expect the worst from the public in motor vehicles.

What's the course like to ride on in a TT position? Are there any tricky corners, narrow fast sections that may accidentally be overshot, any blind corners or crests? Are there any hazards needing attention each time (e.g. gravel, potholes, tree branches, slippery wet leaves etc)?

Width of the road, how safe are the road shoulders?

Consult with local residents and businesses. Find out what they think. Look for opportunities where they can be positively involved (e.g. maybe one could rent out some parking space?)

Have a litter management strategy. Bins, clean up crew.

This is all of course just to add to the process for gaining relevant approvals via the appropriate traffic management authority (be it Council, RMS or both, and of course the Police).