Post your time trial bike pics

Chookman

Re: Post your time trial bike pics

Postby Chookman » Thu May 08, 2014 3:35 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Here it is ... One of the cheapest TT bikes around :-) .
Still fiddling with position... With the new rule for us really tall guys it is now legal!. Few things could make it faster but for now it will do. Probably run a shallower power tap wheel for the moment though.
TLL, all my fastest times at Calga were done on a PX stealth! Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but still a decent rig!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu May 08, 2014 4:02 pm

Yeah I remember you mentioning you used to have one. I wasn't going to bother this year as I will be guiding up till the 2nd week of September which means I miss the start of the TT season. But in the end the price was too hard to refuse, it was the only frame with 60% off, probably because there was no matching fork. Whole bike wouldn't owe me much more the Au $1000 ... pretty happy with that!.
Considering what I was TT'ing on before the differences are pretty big :lol: . Got a pretty good position already, back is nice and flat ... be interesting to see how much power I can hold on Saturday's first real outing. Only 9kms ... but will be after a couple of pretty tough stages tomorrow night and Saturday morning.

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Thu May 08, 2014 4:14 pm

Chookman wrote:Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but still a decent rig!
Was good enough for cuddles! :wink: As long as you get your position sorted which it sounds like you have tll, you will fly!

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu May 08, 2014 10:28 pm

Yep. Body position is everything. The amount of drag saved by the frame itself is two bits of sweet f*** all.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 19, 2014 8:56 am

toolonglegs wrote:Here it is ... One of the cheapest TT bikes around :-) .
Still fiddling with position... With the new rule for us really tall guys it is now legal!. Few things could make it faster but for now it will do. Probably run a shallower power tap wheel for the moment though.
That's very nice. :)

ray

Postby ray » Mon May 19, 2014 2:51 pm

^^^

I think it works well with the blue :) It reminds me of papa smurf.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon May 19, 2014 3:02 pm

I wonder if Papa Smurf would aprove of the pretty pattern on the inside of the fork :lol: .
It's first TT wasn't very succesful... post slipped 3 cms ( torqued correctly ), the road was really rough for a TT.
Unfortunately it will now not have a chance to be raced until September!.
Gives me time to improve... and boy I need to!.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue May 20, 2014 11:52 am

I went and had a look at their site - like the black Ultegra equipped bike. :)

MDL

Postby MDL » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:24 pm

Since I have a TT bike now, and not a TCR with clipons, maybe worthy of posting in here. Finish the work and i'll put a pic up of the new (2nd ride)

MDL

TonyB

Postby TonyB » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:02 am

Hi all,

After lurking for a while I have just joined BNA and thought I would do my first post on my old TT bike, it is a Kuwahara Triathlon with Profile Bull Horns and Dave Scott aero bars. I still use this bike to do some training on and to do local Vets club TT’s and I always enjoy riding the it.

I brought this bike second hand in the early 90’s it had been ridden only 900k and was in new condition, I then started to do triathlons and used it to commute, I trained mostly at lunchtime with a long Sunday ride, I eventually put on some aero bars which improved my TT times a lot.

The bike uses Tange 2 tubing and has Shimano 600 componentry, I still use the original 52t BioPace chain ring, I replaced the original 42t ring with a 39t ring, the wheels I now use for TT’s are 10 speed Ksyrium Elite off my Giant, though I only use a 7 speed cassette. Unfortunately I have not looked after this bike as well as I should have and the paint work is a bit knocked around these days, I am considering having it repainted but first I will have to get some decals made.

I was average at Tri’s, hopeless at swimming, OK at running, by far my strongest leg was on the bike, after a couple of years of triathlons, the pressures of training for tri’s, a busy job and young family got to me and I got a couple of mates together and I started to do team tri’s and some local TT’s. In my team mates we had a good swimmer and a good runner and we had quite good success winning a few local club level team tri’s, one season we won the team section of the Australian short course championship and the teams short course Sri Chinmoy in Canberra in its heyday. Back then on this bike I could ride 40k in around an hour and in the 20k TT’s I could average a bit quicker. I eventually got sacked from the team for a much better rider and they won the Long course Sri Chinmoy team Tri.

Two weeks ago while riding this bike on a training ride I felt good and pushed it along a local popular Strava segment and managed an equal 7th fastest time, with an average of 47.8 Kph, (1.3k, 515 riders, 3132 attempts) I am 2 seconds behind the leader, I also have one KOM on the bike, a 1.5k rolling hills segment, average 33.9k, 1.6kph faster than I can manage on my CF Giant roadie race bike.

Tony

lunar_c

Postby lunar_c » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:42 am

Nice bike man. I've thought about building something similar. Thanks for sharing your story.

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:41 am

servicimo wrote:Hey guys,

Just picked this up and thought you may like to see it (better put your sunnies on).....or not :)
the reincarnation :)
Yes, same bike

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:44 am

Personally prefer the former. Rebadging it a Lotus takes away its true history...

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:55 am

dalai47 wrote:Personally prefer the former. Rebadging it a Lotus takes away its true history...
+1 sorry. Not that i actually liked the original paintjob but it was one of a kind (or maybe 2 or 3).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:07 am

Thats okay :) The paint was damaged in a lot of places, those orange triangles and squares are covering fairly large chips. I tried to keep to a 1990 vintage when sourcing wheels and parts for it. The "Lotus Sport" is just a peel off sticker.

QuangVuong

Postby QuangVuong » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:53 am

Ah, so youre the one who bought it. Whats the biggest tyre size you can fit in the back? And can I be first in line if you ever do decide to sell the frame? Itll prob be returned to its original paint scheme too.

Here's my TT bike, Kenevans Profile
ImageKenevans Profile by Quang.Vuong, on Flickr

Dont know if this is more tri orientated, or TT, but here it is anyway. The original Kestrel 4000
ImageKestrel 4000 by Quang.Vuong, on Flickr
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Derny Driver

Postby Derny Driver » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:10 am

QuangVuong wrote:Ah, so youre the one who bought it. Whats the biggest tyre size you can fit in the back? And can I be first in line if you ever do decide to sell the frame? Itll prob be returned to its original paint scheme too.

Here's my TT bike, Kenevans Profile
Tyres ...I couldnt get 23mm in ...but the trispokes are both running a couple of mm out of true. 20mm tyres fit good. I might put some 20mm Conti Supersonics on it.
Im planning on keeping it for a little while ...but I will let people know on here if I decide to sell it. There has been a lot of interest.
Maybe a swap for your low-pro ? :D

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:49 pm

Just got her home. Next step swap the saddle and put some new tyres on, then it's off to the LBS to be dismantled, serviced, and put back together again :-)

Stoo

Postby Stoo » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:36 pm

i have a mate who is looking to part with his.....Frame only medium size.
2004 Argon 18 Radon
2012 Argon 18 krypton
2010 Argon 18 Gallium Pro
2013 Argon 18 E-116

Gunlock

Postby Gunlock » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:46 pm

Had this for a while but after giving it a good use riding Challenge Shepparton as part of a team i decided it deserved to be up here.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:02 pm

This is a build project:

Very pleased so far, but it isn't finished yet. The wheels are really Bontrager Aeolus 6.5, but the decals on them have been removed, just the HED decals remain. The Gatorskin is not going to be used - it's just on there until I grab another GP4000S.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:49 am

Rather nice project :)

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:44 am

Not as nice as Boaf's new weapon but it will get me back on a TT rig. Now I need another quarq, another set of speedplays and TT wheels hahah.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:47 am

Those bikes are very good for the money.
Le Mong wrote:Now I need another quarq, another set of speedplays and TT wheels hahah.
haha yes indeed, bring your wallet! :oops: TT machines are expensive business. I got quite lucky getting my one built at the price it is.

It set me back:
Frame: ~$3800 (frame, bars, fork, seat post, and shipping+customs fees)
Saddle: $260
Brakes: $830
Headset: $80
Shimano aerobar shifters: $300
Shimano 5 port junction box: $160
SRAM crank: $190 (long story behind that)
Fit/final building/tweaks: ~$300

The Di2 derailleurs, Di2 cables, chain, pedals, wheels and bar tape are bits I already had.

And this is the completed bike:

It has no power meter on it at the moment, no cadence sensor either. I do know that I don't want another Stages power meter... One of those is quite enough excitement. I intend to get the aero-spacers later on and also get some different cranks, or otherwise get different chainrings for these ones. Unexpected expenses included a new rear tyre, the other one had a tiny cut in it and sure enough, puncture after I got home from the first ride. I borrowed a bottle cage from another bike and that along with a normal water bottle appears to be the widest thing on the frame. The frame is so narrow that the bottle itself overhangs both edges of the frame. :lol:

Kudos to Garmin-Sharp, Atelier de Velo, Velocipede, EuroCycles and Pave The Way (who did the fit and final work on it). Velocipede in particular were exceedingly helpful in sourcing parts quickly and offering very useful advice, EuroCycles were extremely easy to deal with as far as getting the brakes and then bleeding them once they were installed. And Pave the Way - must be one of the best bike fitters in town.
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Le Mong

Postby Le Mong » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:06 pm

This will get another Quarq thrown at it in time with a GXP BB and my sl4 will get a GXP Praxis BB so the other Quarq can just live on the Tarmac Disc.

Wheels ill just keep an eye out till I score something I can buy cheap to mod and convert them to 11s for the rear and 808ish for the front.