Acceptable power loss

toolonglegs

Re: Acceptable power loss

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:34 pm

Yesterday I did a 48 km segment... Felt good and held a good pace the whole way through apart from a couple of traffic issues. Average watts was only 276 for an 1h18m. While it was definitely a lot faster than I could have done on my road bike, even though a bit tired I think I could have held 50w more average on my road bike.
Raised my bars a good inch a few weeks ago. ok I haven't been training on the TT bike since June, but I doubt after three months that power would still be close to road bike TT.
Apart from mucking up the start I averaged nearly 38kmph over rolling / flattish ground.
Will get my head around it over winter!!!

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:13 am

Strawburger wrote:Just completed the nsw and national masters ITT and found that my legs were the limitations. On rough calcs I had a 20% loss of power with my position on the TT bike, but a 10% gain in time.

My legs would burn but the lungs and heart were comfortable. More time on the TT bike perhaps... I'd love to pull 5% losses or less, need all the watts I can get!
20% is a pretty huge loss. I reckon I'm at 5% (or just under now) and that bothers me. Have you had a bike fit on your TT bike?
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:35 am

Yeah, a pretty big loss. It is not bothering me yet, but by this time next year it will!

I've had a pro bike fit done, I've only really done about 10hrs on the bike in the new position. I reckon if I spend time on it I'll get it down to a smaller loss than it currently is. I should be in the medals if I can get the same power numbers as the road bike...

How long do you spend on the tt bike?
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

toolonglegs

Acceptable power loss

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:56 pm

I am not so convinced... I am also around 20% down. I will never do 100% in that position. For me I can make 100% on false flats / very gentle climbs... But I can't on flats or slight downhills.
I just can't get the legs spinning with much force. Not sure whether it is the forward position / way I sit right on the nose of the Adamo saddle / hip angles etc... Going to try and come back a bit closer to road bike position... Find a position where I can make at least 90% of FTP on a 20m interval and then try and tweak it from there.
It is a shame though... As being able to hold a 40+ average over a flattish course pretty easily while only putting around 280-295w av would mean that if I found the etc 20% I would be flying :-) .
But it ain't going to happen.

thearthurdog

Postby thearthurdog » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:33 am

Strawburger wrote:How long do you spend on the tt bike?
Normally at least once a week for about two hours. Leading up to a ITT event that may push out to two-three times a week for up to six or so hours. Doing TT efforts in position on a wind trainer is one of the best ways to adapt to your position.
FACTOR One
Fuji Norcom Straight
Fuji Track Elite
http://drpcoaching.blogspot.com.au