Shiv for TT's?

Scott233

Shiv for TT's?

Postby Scott233 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:43 pm

Hi guys

I'm looking to get into some TT. I want to get a bike and I am looking at the Specialized Shiv.
I don't understand what the major difference is between the Shiv and the Shiv TT.
I want to buy a bike that I can use for future events like TT's and also Triathlons if I decide to in the later on.
So if I buy a Shiv TT can I use it in Triathlon events as well as TT events?
But if I buy just a Shiv is it correct that the bike can only be used in Triathlons and not road TT's?

I'm completely lost. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott.

Derny Driver

Re: Shiv for TT's?

Postby Derny Driver » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:34 pm

The Shiv has a fairing on the nosecone headtube area which breaks the UCI rules ....so you couldn't use that bike for something like a Cycling Australia sanctioned State or Australian road time trial championship. Im not sure if you would get pulled up for it at your local cycling club TT, it would be unlikely.
The Shiv TT is UCI legal with no nosecone so can be used in Cycling Time Trial races.
Both bikes are triathlon legal as Triathlon Australia don't care about stuff like that.

Scott233

Postby Scott233 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:57 am

Ok great. Thanks for the info.
So for me I need to test ride one now.
Specialized apparently dont have a Shiv TT test bike to ride but they do have a Shiv to ride. Now I think I know I need to get a Shiv TT for the future (just incase) do you think testing a Shiv would be close enough to a Shiv TT to make a decision.

Please keep in mind I have never ridden any TT or Triathlon bike ever.

Any suggestions or opinions are welcome.

Thanks, Scott.

Cmm

Postby Cmm » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:30 am

I believe they are identical (geometry) nose cone and massive down tube (to hold water bladder) are the differences

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:14 am

You can check the bike regulations for TA events on their website - it's in their rules document:
http://www.triathlon.org.au/Assets/Tria ... y+2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Such bikes are of course only for non-draft triathlons.

Bikes rules for UCI/CA events are different, suggest familiarising yourself with those as well.

Keep in mind it's possible to set up any bike such that it does not conform to the rules, so no bike can be sold as "legal" off the shelf, it also has to be set up in conformance with the regulations. But some bikes will never be legal in certain competitions no matter how you set it up.