How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

kb

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby kb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:47 am

Lizzy wrote: ...
a guy riding the opposite way along the footpath heading into Old Aberdeen very stridently declared for no apparent reason that either/both of our heads were made of faecal material. Alrighty then, bro :|
Or possibly both his heads :-)

Balloon season in Melbourne. I like balloon season.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:06 am

Lovely ride in this morning, but I left my change of socks at home. So I'm wearing my white commute sports socks with my suit today.
Last edited by __PG__ on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:41 am

nezumi wrote:I'm not sure why Albert Street was so full today! It was lovely passing soooo many cars :D
Because it leads into Lonsdale? :P I thought there must have been a collision further up. Macarthur was also full too.

It was an enjoyable ride in this morning, although a bit later than usual. But I think I got the same Hoddle/Albert St light sequence so rolled through that at the perfect time for a green. :mrgreen:

No riding for the long weekend, only visiting relatives and I'll be coming back smelling like mothballs. :?

The bike is in the LBS today to get the BB cleaned and re-greased. After all that rain last week the ominous creaking and sticking warranted a check-up as I didn't want it seizing up mid-ride like I've experienced before (with a previous BB).

rdp_au

Postby rdp_au » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:05 am

Lovely trip through Sydney's mean streets this morning. Cool, sunny, and light school holiday traffic. Looking forward to more over the next week or so.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:02 am

Very late commute home last night and I've done something to my back - not good!

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:13 am

Dean Learner wrote:Sounds like time for a new job/career change there Alexander. I pinch myself about the ever increasing number and variety of cyclists in my office. Got called into the bosses office the other day to discuss what new handlebars he should get and had a client ask if I had 5 minutes to meet him at the bike shop around the corner today.

Perhaps just a lucky industry choice as we do seem to be tipped heavily in favour of cyclists (surveyors, enviros and planners if you care so it's all development, construction and mining, which makes it's even more surprising for bunch of hi vis wearing ute drivers but it seems pretty common across the industry from what I've seen).

Enjoy the Easter break and some time on the bike and away from your charming colleagues, sounds like you're better off they're not cyclists or you'd end up spending more time with them.
Similar situation to our work (Consulting to developers/Mining)- biggest complaints I have is lack of bike racks in better cycling weather and poor ventilation in the shower room. Work supplies towels and until we consolidated to one level had rooms allocated for bike storage. nothing like a good water cooler chat on the Paris Roubaix results, tech talk or latest bike build or carping on about the latest MM, Dumb Cyclist or CCR action.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:10 am

jasonc wrote:Very late commute home last night and I've done something to my back - not good!
Darn, hope you are feeling better today.

Robinho

Postby Robinho » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:12 am

Interesting last 8km last night, lost a gear cable when pushing on which left me in top (18th) gear for the rest of the ride, fortunately it's pretty flat and the one intersection was very kind and the lights turned green as I approached, but my legs were screaming by the time I got home

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:22 am

find_bruce wrote:
jasonc wrote:Very late commute home last night and I've done something to my back - not good!
Darn, hope you are feeling better today.
no unfortunately. I had the heatpack on it last night but there's been no change. Organising a mate of mine who does massage to come over and hopefully make it a good friday

Have missed a 100km ride already this weekend

tez001

Postby tez001 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:52 pm

Robinho wrote:Interesting last 8km last night, lost a gear cable when pushing on which left me in top (18th) gear for the rest of the ride, fortunately it's pretty flat and the one intersection was very kind and the lights turned green as I approached, but my legs were screaming by the time I got home
Must be something in the air. On my ride yesterday the shift cable decided to let go on me too about 10km from home. Gave me a taste of what life would be with a single speed.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:55 pm

tez001 wrote:
Robinho wrote:Interesting last 8km last night, lost a gear cable when pushing on which left me in top (18th) gear for the rest of the ride, fortunately it's pretty flat and the one intersection was very kind and the lights turned green as I approached, but my legs were screaming by the time I got home
Must be something in the air. On my ride yesterday the shift cable decided to let go on me too about 10km from home. Gave me a taste of what life would be with a single speed.

come on! if you screw the H limit screw all the way in, it'll have the rear derailleur sitting about half way up the cassette rather than in your 11 or 12
(yes, I've done 30+kms like this)

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:51 am

Not good, hope you're recovering nicely...

Good commutes through to Thursday, beautiful weather until then, however, that's over for the next while, it seems.
Was working Friday, and thought about riding through to the office, but then decided against it and worked from home.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:43 am

What's wrong with riding in the 11 cog?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:03 am

Lukeyboy wrote:What's wrong with riding in the 11 cog?
nothing, if your veloviewer score is 99.something

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:14 am

I guess being one of those VV99.5 riders has its advantages then :P

Hows the back going mate?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:22 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Hows the back going mate?
got some drugs, nowhere near 100%. hoping to be able to crawl to work on tuesday. less than 2 weeks til the coot-tha challenge. :(

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:00 pm

jasonc wrote:
got some drugs, nowhere near 100%. hoping to be able to crawl to work on tuesday. less than 2 weeks til the coot-tha challenge. :(
Are you on the drugs, Are you on the drugs
Are you on the drugs that fuelled Lance Armstrong ?

You saw his legs thrashing round.
You saw his testosterone staying down.
You saw him in convulsive throes.
You said "I'll have some of those"

:D

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:30 am

find_bruce wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Are you on the drugs, Are you on the drugs
Are you on the drugs that fuelled Lance Armstrong ?

You saw his legs thrashing round.
You saw his testosterone staying down.
You saw him in convulsive throes.
You said "I'll have some of those"

:D

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:31 am

Very wet ride in this morning.

Also today beat the previous day where I said it was "Beat your previous number of cars you pass on your commute" Day, although I don't know if I can count it due to the other main road into the city from this side (Victoria St) being closed at Nicholson for tram works. Traffic on Albert St was not moving and banked all the way back to Hoddle St. Wouldn't want to have been in a car.

Methinks tomorrow might be just as bad as the tram works are scheduled to go until next week.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:34 am

Windy in Melbourne for this morning's commute. Missed the rain, and with a bit of luck, I'll have a relatively dry run this afternoon too.
Alert St along the park was in complete darkness at 5:30am - wonder if the tram works at Nicholson knocked out the power. Traffic lights were working though...
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:50 pm

Time to dig the cool weather gear out of the cupboards. Distinct coolness in here air this morning, can't call it a chill though.

Bit of a bummer, this morning I arrived at work to see my saddle bag open, and empty. Wondering what I have lost, I must have opened it up to get something out to transfer to MTB while in the garage. Probably lost a tube, a couple of levers and probably a co2 canister, hope I didn't lose the inflator as well. also might be missing a cheap cable lock. I'm hoping our car centric society means no one walks the road on the way to the share path. There is a chance I might find some stuff. Looks like a search on home way home this arvo.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:56 am

Nice ride home yesterday, forgot all about looking for lost stuff, so turned around and went back a little way. Alas nothing found. At least the co2 inflator is in the MTB saddle bag.

Cool and crisp this morning. Had two folders riding along blocking the path this morning, rang the bell and appeared they didn't hear at first. Decided to do a quick overtake via a car park and heard one of there riders say something along the lines of "look out mate, there's a real bike coming through" :)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:14 am

Leggings and skirt weren't dry for the ride home last night (everything else was) so made for a musty smelling ride.

At least it wasn't raining. Oh, and like TailWind noticed - the street lights were out on Albert St, East Melbourne, which made for a dark ride home.

Nice ride in this morning although the legs were tired from the morning run. Once again cars were banked back Albert St due to the roadworks at Victoria and Nicholson which made all the cyclists clump up into a snake line and ride between the parked cars and the stuck cars. Dooring central. A parked car did open its door just before the cyclist that was about 4 in front of me in the snake line, but I don't think anyone got hit. It was a relief getting to the dedicated bike lane and being able to relax a bit and sail past all the cars.

Oh, and for anyone that rides Elizabeth Street between Bourke and Little Bourke (heading towards Lonsdale), don't ride anywhere near the edge of the road - one of the drains has a massive pothole on the road side that will bring a cyclist down.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:39 am

Getting proper chilly in Perth, actual sucking breath through teeth for the first couple of ks, fuzzy 3/4 leggings were the go.

Youse all missed the fully sick party at the Stirling municipal precinct last night, ay! - Civic Pl overpass was carpeted ankle deep in smashed bottles, sigh :roll: Thanks to the others who stopped to help me clear it off to the sides as best we could.

Otherwise, it was quiet and chilled out, I'd theorise all the smart people are on leave this week, but what would that say about me :|
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:56 am

Wet roads for the ride home yesterday afternoon, but no rain. Somehow I managed to find the gap in the weather both ways. :)
Came across another mini trail bike on the Darebin Creek Trail. I think I'll start a rogues gallery featuring these pests.

A little further on, a ute. I'm hoping he's involved in fixing the bridge that spans the creek between the DCT and the path to Latrobe Uni. This bridge with a simple span of about 10-12m has been out of action for around 15 months now :shock: after some vandals burnt part of it.
Cool and misty start this morning, still a little damp on the roads and paths, but a good ride all in all.