Paid to cycle to work schemes

wgc138

Re: Paid to cycle to work schemes

Postby wgc138 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:23 pm

I like number 2 but seems hard to control from an employer's perspective, just another to add onto the pile to administer fortnightly or monthly. Would this amount be different if the employee rides to work once, twice or all days?

As a rider, number 3 would be ideal for so many reasons it'll just mean a greater incentive to purchase a new bike every year, at the very least easier to justify n + 1 more often. From looking at the information on UK websites, this would require administration at least on the employer's side and eventually government. Who's paying for all of this? Will this incentive flood the market of inferior products and create a more dangerous environment for the riders on the current limited infrastructure?

All options will wind costing the tax payers some money, but i'd be happy either way to see us becoming a cyclist nation.

The current incentive/benefit for novated lease is flawed imo, it'd be great to see number two being introduced but controlling will be an issue on distance or frequency. These benefits have to stop benefiting just motorists, benefiting cyclists would be great but even if government are still too narrow minded i'd be happy if we can include those people who use public transport either by choice or circumstances.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:26 pm

As much as I'd like option 1 or 2, it will need some creative thinking for it not to be abused and/or costly. Option 3 is the only one which could be monitored but I'd not be in favour of it because it encourages consumerism. Not sure what the answer is.

If the aim is to encourage more people to cycle, I'd prefer better thinking to remove rogue drivers and cyclists from the roads thus begin making the roads and cycling infrastructure safer. Sadly, politically the big thinking just isn't going to happen.

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:10 pm

Aushiker wrote:Its happening at this West Aussie business ...
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/253 ... us=success
and I believe one member here does something alone these lines in his own business.
Andrew
Hi Andrew, not sure if you're referring to me, but for about 5 years I've been paying each of my staff $7 a day every day that they arrive at work on foot, by public transport or bike. (It should be noted that I only have 2 staff these days!) As an employer it made sense to me on the basis that I'd have healthier, happier, fitter people working for me and that there'd be a whole lot less time wasted shuffling cars around our two car bays and a street parking time limits. The uptake was great.

I was also sick of the government sitting on it's hands. I find watching government act on global warming and urban planning issues torturous in the extreme. I have absolutely no confidence in government of either stripe doing anything effective in the near future on global warming. I believe that businesses and individuals are the only hope in this country and as such must take the lead. My efforts are p'ing in the proverbial wind but it's heartening to see another larger company doing something similar.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:57 pm

RobertFrith wrote:
and I believe one member here does something alone these lines in his own business.
Andrew
Hi Andrew, not sure if you're referring to me, but for about 5 years I've been paying each of my staff $7 a day every day that they arrive at work on foot, by public transport or bike. (It should be noted that I only have 2 staff these days!) As an employer it made sense to me on the basis that I'd have healthier, happier, fitter people working for me and that there'd be a whole lot less time wasted shuffling cars around our two car bays and a street parking time limits. The uptake was great.

I was also sick of the government sitting on it's hands. I find watching government act on global warming and urban planning issues torturous in the extreme. I have absolutely no confidence in government of either stripe doing anything effective in the near future on global warming. I believe that businesses and individuals are the only hope in this country and as such must take the lead. My efforts are p'ing in the proverbial wind but it's heartening to see another larger company doing something similar.
You Sir are part of the solution. Much respect :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:44 am

I should add that if you're happy to ignore the cost of owning a bike and assume that total cost of ownership of a car is in the vicinity of $1/km and that an average commute is 10k each way, then a person who replaces their car with a bike three day a week has a financial incentive to ride close to $3000 a year. Not a bad incentive on it's own.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:12 am

Good stuff Robert :)

lobstermash

Postby lobstermash » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:49 am

I don't see how it'd be hard to stop people rorting scheme 1 or 2... The monetary incentive is quite small if you're 'faking it' by not actually riding - the majority of people spend $3-6 per day on coffee, $8-15 on lunch and $5-15 on public transport/parking. Also, employers know where you live, so the amount paid to employees could be a very simple equation of distance from home to work along the shortest off-road route (Google Maps can tell you that), multiplied by how many days you attend work.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:46 pm

RobertFrith wrote:
Andrew
Hi Andrew, not sure if you're referring to me, but for about 5 years I've been paying each of my staff $7 a day every day that they arrive at work on foot, by public transport or bike.
Yes it was you I was thinking of :)

Andrew

wgc138

Postby wgc138 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:10 pm

RobertFrith wrote:
Andrew

That's excellent! I've been thinking along the same lines at work and hopefully it'll be introduced early next year. Sometimes own initiative is required to get the ball rolling these days.

I might approach local LBS or online for all that matter for added initiative which should hopefully benefit both parties.

westab

Postby westab » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:23 pm

RobertFrith wrote:I should add that if you're happy to ignore the cost of owning a bike and assume that total cost of ownership of a car is in the vicinity of $1/km and that an average commute is 10k each way, then a person who replaces their car with a bike three day a week has a financial incentive to ride close to $3000 a year. Not a bad incentive on it's own.
Not to mention the added bonus of having a better chance of being able to keep up with the kids and Grand kids if you are fortunate enough to have them.

Our kids just encouraged Mrs Westab and I to take up Athletics (so they thought they could show us up) we did to get a little fitter and our kids were surprised that Mum & Dad can still go - all our kids like the 3000m. They were amazed when the "non-running Dad" has given them all times to chase. Our eldest after my first 3000m ever (which is quicker than hers by over a min.) said "How did you do that - you don't run". Now not only do we compete but have another part to our relationship - a value you can't put money against. :mrgreen:
Not fast, no style, but still get there.

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:32 pm

RonK wrote:
yugyug wrote:Three ride-to-work scheme ideas

Direct subsidy: employee paid set amount per kilometre to ride to work, based on French model.
Indirect subsidy: employers receive tax refund for employees who cycle to work, which is then paid to the employee. Several European examples.
Tax deduction for purchase: tax concession for purchase of a bike (value normally capped at $1,500) for riding to work. Possible savings of 30-40%. Based on UK model.
Imagine the bureaucracy it would take to administer scheme 1, not to mention the potential for rorting it. It would make the scheme more expensive, and no government would welcome the impost.

Employers wouldn't want the impost either, and why should they? So much for scheme 2.

Which leaves scheme 3. Tax deductions - the mechanism is already in place to handle them, all it would take is a simple change to the schedule of allowable deductions. A bicycle could be depreciated over three or four years.

BUT

If the object is to improve the community's health and fitness to reduce healthcare costs, why restrict the benefit only to workers?

Add 1% to the price of SUVs / urban 4WDs / suburban-soccer-Mum-mobiles and use that to subsidise the cost of bikes for everyone, whether employed full-time or not.