How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

find_bruce

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:52 am

You are really getting into the swing of things Tony.

Had a surreal encounter with a pedestrian this morning. As I was crossing the road to ride onto the the bike path, this fool decided to abuse me for not riding on the bike path WT? I pointed out that this was the first access point & that the clowncil had removed the earlier access point & put big fences up to stop people accessing the path at the speed humps. The fool lost his enthusiasm at that point and waddled off.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

snowmaan

Postby snowmaan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:17 am

Anyone had any experience with insurance and covering the bike?

When I started riding again, I extended cover for my Trek Madone 4.5 with Alliance, to cover outside the home.

Wanted to cover damage or theft at or on the way to work

Yesterday when I went to claim it, they said bikes aren't covered while you're riding it, only for theft

What a crock of !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!, bloody hell why else would I want to cover it?

Any ideas how I can force them into covering it?

I've already escalated it to a manager in the disputed claims area, will threaten to rubbish them over social media

Disappointing too, teres lots of budget providers out there and we chose to stick with Alliance so this kind of thing didn't happen if ever we needed it
CellSS200 hybrid, had a Trek Madone 4.5 but had an altercation with a courier van. Looking for a nice ride soon

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:40 am

snowmaan wrote:Anyone had any experience with insurance and covering the bike?

When I started riding again, I extended cover for my Trek Madone 4.5 with Alliance, to cover outside the home.

Yesterday when I went to claim it, they said bikes aren't covered while you're riding it, only for theft

What a crock of showtime, bloody hell why else would I want to cover it?

I've already escalated it to a manager in the disputed claims area, will threaten to rubbish them over social media

Disappointing too, teres lots of budget providers out there and we chose to stick with Alliance so this kind of thing didn't happen if ever we needed it
Check the actual PDS fineprint. If it says the bike is covered away from home but not while in use then you may have some problems. Do you have any emails (or something in writing) from Allianz when you first put the bike on the policy that said they would cover it while in use? Some policies have a no-racing clause, but still cover while in normal (non-racing) use.

When I was looking for insurance providers this was one of the key criteria for putting my bike on as an away from home item (and paying the extra premium because of it).

Good luck! If the internal Allianz dispute resolution process isn't successful, ask your lawyer and/or ask the Financial Ombudsman Service.

snowmaan

Postby snowmaan » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:06 pm

Summernight wrote:
snowmaan wrote:Anyone had any experience with insurance and covering the bike?

What a crock of showtime, bloody hell why else would I want to cover it?

Check the actual PDS fineprint. If it says the bike is covered away from home but not while in use then you may have some problems. Do you have any emails (or something in writing) from Allianz when you first put the bike on the policy that said they would cover it while in use? Some policies have a no-racing clause, but still cover while in normal (non-racing) use.

When I was looking for insurance providers this was one of the key criteria for putting my bike on as an away from home item (and paying the extra premium because of it).

Good luck! If the internal Allianz dispute resolution process isn't successful, ask your lawyer and/or ask the Financial Ombudsman Service.
Thanks mate, will do that.

Yes the fine print says that, I'm disputing it based on fairness grounds.
CellSS200 hybrid, had a Trek Madone 4.5 but had an altercation with a courier van. Looking for a nice ride soon

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:48 pm

Nice ride into work, then into East Melbourne, Nth Melbourne and out through the Utopia that is Yarra 8) Wearing my swish new Rapha jersey that I rewarded myself with for dropping enough kg's to now resemble the Michelin man instead of the infamous Lampre man :lol: .....makes me at least 5km/h faster 8) :roll: :lol: Nice though.....it may be the nicest jersey I've worn

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:32 pm

fat and old wrote:Nice ride into work, then into East Melbourne, Nth Melbourne and out through the Utopia that is Yarra 8) Wearing my swish new Rapha jersey that I rewarded myself with for dropping enough kg's to now resemble the Michelin man instead of the infamous Lampre man :lol: .....makes me at least 5km/h faster 8) :roll: :lol: Nice though.....it may be the nicest jersey I've worn
+1 on the jersey!
Nice and easy commute for me today. Not exploring any extra distance as it looks like weekend is now full of riding :)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:00 am

I had an appointment in Camberwell in the morning so rode the bike from there to work after it had finished around 9.15am. I had a lovely ride down Camberwell/Burwood Road with parked cars meaning that there wasn't a second lane so there wasn't angst from motorists about me claiming the left lane. And there was a fair bit of room down most of the left lane too so I didn't have to worry about doors. It was great. What may have helped was I was doing the almost continuous downhill into the city instead of the uphill out so could keep a speed of 35-40kph fairly easily. But we'll ignore that little bit of downhill help. :D

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:04 am

Left it in the big ring all the way in this morning, only a couple of pinchy sections but I survived.

I will give it a go this afternoon as well, but there's significantly more climbing on the way home. We'll see how I go...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:53 pm

Been having some fun lately, commuting all over the place during the day. Best part is always heading back to office or home....tailwinds always lately :lol:

The good parts....went past 2 motorised mtb's yesterday, both broken down with the owner looking at them like "oh what"? :lol: :lol: Use the pedals champ!! :P CBD and Docklands have been quite good lately, but still a lot of nuf nufs on the shared paths....bikes and peds. Lot of hipster mums on the CCC through Yarra that feel that 2 prams abreast is ok because the path is that wide :? Don't like it when I just stop in front of them and wait for them to go around me. Lot of boy racers about too.....man some of them like taking chances. Went down St Georges Rd with the peak hour cycle flow, and copped a big compliment. Mr Di2 equipped supersix racing man thought I was good enough to wheel suck up the rise along Brunswick St into the city. WT? :lol: Admittedly I make a good wind break, but sheesh....

Bad parts....none. Life is good :D

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:51 pm

nasty storm in Brissy. I left work 15 minutes late and copped it. the rain and wind was ridiculous. Thankfully no hail. The commute tomorrow may be interesting

TonyMax

Postby TonyMax » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:05 pm

Made it home in the big ring. Slow and tough but I did it. That's 12 commutes over the last three weeks, when my best previous efforts have been once a week.

I've also smashed out 1200km this month, by far my best monthly effort.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:38 pm

Was it drive home from work day & people forgot to tell me - absolute bedlam getting out of the CBD - took me ages to ride past all those stationary cars
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:34 pm

Got drenched on the way home from work. Not because of the rain but because I decided to take a detour to blast through some flood water :P

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:09 am

feeling crappy but can't let TW beat me. a bit of a cyclocross commute in. only had to get off the bike once

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:00 am

jasonc wrote:feeling crappy but can't let TW beat me. a bit of a cyclocross commute in. only had to get off the bike once
You're pushing yourself too hard, and your body is rebelling....don't mind me...I'm just plodding along. :wink:
Hope you feel better!
If you beat me you get to buy me a beer when you're down here next month! :mrgreen:

The nice tailwind yesterday afternoon, combined with a quick run along Oriel Rd heading north to avoid the path rebuild on the Darebin Creek Trail, made for a quick trip home.
The wind was still around this morning - can't avoid paying the piper. Hopefully it's still in my favour this afternoon.

Happy Friday! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:16 pm

Nice morning of tootling around checking jobs and whatnot. Got sidetracked rather severely because the weather is so nice, thought I'd take 2 hrs, got back after 4.5 :shock: :lol: The k's have upped by ave. 150 per week over the last couple, and damned if I don't feel better :D . Hope that feeling stays. Better do some work.....

TW....I came up DCC from Darebin Rd, and there's no works between there and the Ring Rd if that helps.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:05 pm

headwind + friday afternoon legs + feeling terrible = slowwwwwww

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:46 pm

fat and old wrote:TW....I came up DCC from Darebin Rd, and there's no works between there and the Ring Rd if that helps.
Thanks f&o, the council must have then completed the revamp of the downhill section towards the bridge over the Darebin at Ivanhoe. I'll check it out on Monday.
Mind you, using Oriel Rd is quicker, same distance, but lots of traffic to contend with during the afternoon school pickup rush.
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:57 am

I drove my monster 4wd into work....first time in over 9 months. I feel dirty :(

Seriously....I drove into East Melb and out and I felt like ripping heads off. Thankfully I brought the bike. Stinkin car can stay in the yard :lol:

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:54 pm

Nice solid headwind to start the week- coupled with a broken spoke halfway in- snapped midway along the spoke, these are only three months old (BDOP wheelset).

Have to pull out a spare and get it repaired- damn.

EDIT- nothing to do with the wheel- I must have picked up a stick or similar- all the non drive side spokes have been damaged, damn :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:29 am

damp and drizzle this morning. I think I have to give up on P1 for the year. Well done TW
Not enough days for me to get a gap on you.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:32 pm

jasonc wrote:damp and drizzle this morning. I think I have to give up on P1 for the year. Well done TW
Not enough days for me to get a gap on you.
Too early to call it yet, Jason. We're neck and neck, and anything could happen (hopefully nothing tragic!)
Either way, one of us will be buying the one a beer or two (providing you're not in training for anything).

Can confirm that he DCT has a nice new concrete section downhill towards the Darebin near Ivanhoe. If only the rest of the bitumen could be replaced.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:42 pm

no training at the moment for anything TW. hope I can find a few hours to catch up

koshari

Postby koshari » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Just had a nice ride out to poowong from Warragul today no magpies but plenty of silage happening. Picked up me mate Garvey at drouin South and had a few pots at the Wong pub (with water chasers) while the woman at the store whipped up up some rolls. Very pleasant weather certainly adds to a nice experience. All up just over 60k round trip

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:12 pm

Left the car at wok yesty, and haven't looked at it since. And took a potential new ride for a test today....came off my bike after 50 odd k's, feeling good. Got onto this, and it was like riding a fast cloud :shock: I was genuinely shocked at the difference between the two. Now to work out the $$$, because the minister for making life hell if I don't behave has given the OK. Maybe I get an extra nice xmas... :D

Would it be wrong to commute on Super Record? :oops: :lol:

Otherwise, a nice ride that was somewhat spoiled by the knowledge that such a nice bike is out there and not under my derriere.

Oh yeah....the excitement of a potential new ride made me forget.....What's up with the peak hour St. Georges Rd commuters?? I swear one bloke went the Cavendish style head but during a drag down the hill? :shock: :lol: