How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

FiveDaysAWeek

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:02 am

Got absolutely nailed this morning by a sudden downpour. Had the spray jacket bungeed to the rack and ready to go, but it couldn't handle the sheer volume of water, any more than the storm water drains could. Ten minutes later it was all over, and although everything is theoretically drying under my desk, I suspect it's still going to be wet for the trip home. Just as well the weather's still warm.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:46 am

I sat the storm out this morning and as soon as it slowed down I headed off. Found my boot covers which worked a treat, no soggy wet shoes for me this arvo although I did get a puncture, I don't know what I have done to upset the puncture gods but they are killing me this year
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

bigtbafe

Postby bigtbafe » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:15 pm

I tell ya, I'm sick of these damn headwinds. How is it possible to have headwinds in every damn direction at the same damn time?

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Feb 27, 2015 4:02 pm

Haven't posted for a couple of days. Tuesday I woke up with a ridiculously sore throat and a feeling of impending doom (ie. sickness) so stayed in bed and caught up on Revenge as well as almost catching up on Once Upon a Time (Captain Hook.. *sighs dreamily* :P)

Wednesday was cold and I should have probably stayed at home, but I didn't feel as bad as Tuesday so went to work. I don't think I was regulating my temperature properly either and under-dressed for the cool morning so that wasn't overly pleasant.

Thursday I skipped my morning swim (still didn't feel up to it and actually decided to heed the little sign at the pool saying "please don't get in if you're sick") so did some bodyweight exercises at home and had to stop every now and again to clear the leaky pipe/nose. Charming. For the ride to work I was prepared for the fever temperature variations and the colder temperature and wore the sleeves of my jacket. Of course on the Albert Street hill I was boiling, but I thought that was better than freezing with a cold and getting sicker.

On the way home on Thursday night I had a bulky/muscly cyclist pass me as he got a jump on me at a set of lights in Albert Street. No biggie as he was going at a decent pace and wasn't slowing me down and I just stuck behind him. I sat about 3 metres behind and a little to the right of him on Elizabeth Street (does that still take the benefit of drafting??) and looked at my speedo to see we were doing 38kph. Must have been a tailwind! :)

Lovely morning this morning. Lots of cyclists out and about. Quite a procession. Glad this cold hasn't affected my stamina too much. :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:26 pm

Dropped car in for new shoes before work today. Left me with possibly the route with the biggest climb in town. Pushed up one side, flew down the other. Then had to leave early to pick up said vehicle and then offspring. Man I hate putting on the gear too soon after the previous wearing. Still wet. Seems to be the theme this week, riding in wet gear. Oh well.

Up and over on the way back to the car. It must have been a longer downhill than up on the way in because seemed to take heaps longer on the way back, felt like much more climbing. Of course the headwind and heat of the day didn't help.

As of this evening I'm a few hundred m short of my record month for km. do I get up early tomorrow and smash the record, or pootle down to the shops and sneak over the line? Sleep will decide I think.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:44 am

Kenmore to Airport

41km Commute this morning was beautiful weather :) see how I fare after a 10 hour shift and ride home :)

poohkies

Postby poohkies » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:10 pm

Brisbane Airport to Home,

bloody long day nearly cracked 80km for the day commuting. Was on a wicked run till i got to new farm about 16km into commute and my legs started to run out of puff really badly, pretty warm also which i guess didn't help :) nearly got side swapped by a lady on her phone who just drove past then pulled straight across the front of me, screamed at her to get of her phone, the whole street heard. nearly got doored along new farm road buy a guy who just wanted to walk out the front of the cycle path and then not even 200 mt from him a lady decided to do a u turn across the front of me, I had all my lights flashing and still no care in the world!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:16 pm

46k in to work for night shift this afternoon. Great tailwind most of the way and hardly any traffic made it a great ride. It is just so much more pleasant riding without traffic :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:57 am

Experimented with a route variation this morning. Someone has installed a pedestrian/cycle bridge over Anzac Parade with spare-no-expense spiral ramps on both sides so I thought it would be ungrateful not to at least try it out. So far so good, plenty of grip in the dry and reasonable visibility, no painted markings at this stage.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:10 am

FiveDaysAWeek wrote:Experimented with a route variation this morning. Someone has installed a pedestrian/cycle bridge over Anzac Parade with spare-no-expense spiral ramps on both sides so I thought it would be ungrateful not to at least try it out. So far so good, plenty of grip in the dry and reasonable visibility, no painted markings at this stage.
do pedestrians keep left on it?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:03 am

Grabbed a free red bull going over the Anzac Bridge which was nice. Didn't give me wings though, I was still slow.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

tez001

Postby tez001 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:15 am

find_bruce wrote:Grabbed a free red bull going over the Anzac Bridge which was nice. Didn't give me wings though, I was still slow.
Aww missed that this morning, what time did you go through? I went by about 730 and there were no freebies :(

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:18 am

jasonc wrote:
FiveDaysAWeek wrote:Experimented with a route variation this morning. Someone has installed a pedestrian/cycle bridge over Anzac Parade with spare-no-expense spiral ramps on both sides so I thought it would be ungrateful not to at least try it out. So far so good, plenty of grip in the dry and reasonable visibility, no painted markings at this stage.
do pedestrians keep left on it?
Didn't see any pedestrians or cyclists either for that matter. The only people around were a pair of security guards, one at the top of each ramp, apparently keeping an eye on the unfinished bridge railings. Seemed friendly enough, nodded as I went past.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:01 pm

MGIF who decided she needed to get past me 20 metres from the intersection, only to pull into the left of the two lanes (it is a one lane road until the intersection which then widens for two lanes) for me to then pass her again (as well as the car in front of her) to get into the bike box in front of the left lane. The two lanes then merge into one again after the intersection so she had to merge back right. Completely needless and quite amusing for the start of the day. She thought she was cutting the straight ahead queue.

Traffic banked back Albert Street this morning as well. Made me smile as I sailed past in the bike lane. :)

Hootsmon0204

Postby Hootsmon0204 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:12 am

Back to 14km commute after a 6 month lay off. Injury, Winter, Cold, Lazy blah blah blah. Anyway sitting at desk feeling righteous and a bit sweaty. Forgot what a great way to start the day it is.

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:47 am

Signs of things to come? I left home at about 6:30am and was thinking I needed to put a base layer on!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:55 am

While getting ready this morning I. Discovered I had left my car key on my wife's keyring, and was already gone. Tues is normally a drive commute for kiddies drop off, but due to the key error it became a walk to school, then ride (and late) to work. Beautiful morning too. Autumn is in the air.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:11 am

tez001 wrote:Signs of things to come? I left home at about 6:30am and was thinking I needed to put a base layer on!
it didn't get below 20 degrees last night here. no baselayer for me

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:09 am

It was 16 degrees when I left this morning just before 6am, so the chilly mornings are not too far off. I hold out in summer gear until it gets down to about 12 degrees and then use a base layer. Once it hits single digits it is out with the fleece :-)
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:42 am

queequeg wrote:It was 16 degrees when I left this morning just before 6am, so the chilly mornings are not too far off. I hold out in summer gear until it gets down to about 12 degrees and then use a base layer. Once it hits single digits it is out with the fleece :-)
Agreed, definitely cooling down. I'm still clinging on to summer gear at this stage :).
Salsa Casseroll, Avanti Quantum, Specialized Tricross, Specialized Allez, Cell SS

tez001

Postby tez001 » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:54 am

Im dreading the single digit morning commutes! got a cheap Ebay fleece which will become handy

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:13 pm

Happy Super Tuesday everyone :D I got counted twice, since I go inner-mid-North to mid-inner-South. Heaps of people out representing.

Took it super-easy yesterday being a public holiday, cruised down to the traino in civvies in the morning because I could, then rode the nice river-y bits home and trained the rest.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:17 pm

Boognoss wrote:
queequeg wrote:It was 16 degrees when I left this morning just before 6am, so the chilly mornings are not too far off. I hold out in summer gear until it gets down to about 12 degrees and then use a base layer. Once it hits single digits it is out with the fleece :-)
Agreed, definitely cooling down. I'm still clinging on to summer gear at this stage :).
...and that's why I already ordered the fleece warmers, vest etc for my NWSCC kit :-) Depending on my skills/fitness, I am working up to the Advanced group on Sat mornings. With a 5:30am start in winter I will need it!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Lovely ride in. :)

oxonabike

Postby oxonabike » Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:47 pm

Not cooling down here yet, but the mornings have been pleasant enough. Been having a great couple of commuting weeks although down a bit on Commuter Challenge due to a break on the Otago Central rail trail a bit over a week back. Could not legitimately claim any of the Kms for that.

This morning got squeezed twice by the same bus - initial overtake was okay but cut off by the rear on both Occasions. First one I let go, but after the second time I demanded an audience with the driver. Initially denied the request at the red light that he had to MGIF of me for, but he had no choice at the bus terminal around the corner. Discussion was polite enough but demonstrated an alarming lack of awareness of road rules and possibly the length of his bus (ie, I was in 'his' lane - there is no shoulder or bike lane along that bit of road anyway, nor do I have to use if there was)

Raised this with his union rep who I happened to know via an actual letter. He will be shoulder tapped and have the road rules explained to him, and there will apparently be a general brief to all employees on the recent changes to road rules, and the safety of other road users etc. Happy with this. Not quite a sackable offence if the driver is willing to be educated.

Typically, I'd been having such a good run lately, I took the forward facing Virb off this morning which would have really shown the error of his ways. The rear facing fly 6 showed enough to demonstrate the cut off as well as IDing the bus.