How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

jasonc

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:13 am

fat and old wrote:G'day TW. 8.8 Euros for a beer? :shock: Looks nice though :D
you'd hope he's being paid in euros. Thanks for the photos TW

in other news my knee is "unhappy". It hasn't been happy since a lumpy weekend ride I did a few weeks ago. So I've back off the pace and kms now. Off to the physio tomorrow night. I don't like that place. They normally swear at me with the words "no riding" :oops:

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:28 am

TailWind wrote:There's a beer garden there that I'm known to frequent, right at the water's edge.

Think I'll mount the cam tomorrow and see if I can piece together a video of the ride.

Cheers,
TW
I like the little kiosks on the side of the river where you can stop for a beer... well thats if they are still there
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:32 am

jasonc wrote:Off to the physio tomorrow night. I don't like that place. They normally swear at me with the words "no riding" :oops:
I had to go to the Doctors the other day, neck is still sore from my last 2 accidents which involved me using my head to break my fall... normally I only see the Doctor when I have a rugby injuries so I gave him the good news that I am hardly playing rugby these days... and then I told him I have replaced it with cycling... he just shook his head at me.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

FiveDaysAWeek

Postby FiveDaysAWeek » Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:07 am

herzog wrote:Incident from yesterday's homeward commute

That's a notorious spot in Centennial Park, part of my commute home. The grass area to the right in the video is a off-lead dog walking area, to the left is where the dog walkers park their cars. To give an idea of the numbers involved, there is a large sandstone monument in the dog walking area called the Federation Pavillion which has been seriously damaged by dog piss.
(ref: http://www.centennialparklands.com.au/a ... on_repairs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:56 am

*sigh*

shortly after my post I got a message from Mrs JasonC. So here I am at home with a sick kid, again. 3 times in a fortnight

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:48 pm

FiveDaysAWeek wrote:
herzog wrote:Incident from yesterday's homeward commute

That's a notorious spot in Centennial Park, part of my commute home. The grass area to the right in the video is a off-lead dog walking area, to the left is where the dog walkers park their cars. To give an idea of the numbers involved, there is a large sandstone monument in the dog walking area called the Federation Pavillion which has been seriously damaged by dog piss.
(ref: http://www.centennialparklands.com.au/a ... on_repairs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

ouch. hope the rider is ok.

most dogs (like their owners) are very unpredictable, more so off-leash. best to slow down or be extra alert ..

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:05 pm

jasonc wrote:*sigh*

shortly after my post I got a message from Mrs JasonC. So here I am at home with a sick kid, again. 3 times in a fortnight
Get zwifting mate :P

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:13 pm

Light drizzle on the way home and a resulting wet butt makes me think I'll invest in some mudguards
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:14 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:

Get zwifting mate :P
not with a sore knee. will see what the damage is tomorrow night before i exert myself

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:29 pm

Commute in this morning was a bit slow as apparently I need a recovery ride or two. Fortunately, wet roads kept my speed down and no e-bikes overtook me.

Got to work and a split second after I got my clothes/washing kit out of my locker, I shut the door and realised that building pass (used to open locker), phone (used to call facilities to open locker when your pass is inaccessible) and ID (used to get a visitors pass for the building when your issued pass is inaccessible) were all on the wrong side of my locker door.

Walked to the showers, tailgated somebody inside and realised that I hadn't put the top on my bottle properly before shaking vigorously took protein powder and water.

Was seriously tempted to write the day off and go home to bed.

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:32 pm

Had a hell of headwind heading into Melbourne this morning. Was quite wet too.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:51 pm

Doesn't the missus have any sick leave? It always seems to be you that does the stay at home thing? (Not that I mind having the day off when the kids are crook)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:05 pm

Nice and cold again this morning. Around 4 with a nice cold breeze to go with it. Must be winter?

Took a longer route home this arvo, been too lazy and cold to do it in the mornings. Saw a few other riders, left one behind after he caught me at a red light and said g'day, thought he might have been quicker having all the kit and a reasonable looking bike - oh well. 45min isn't much compared to others here, but it was a nice ride aside form one van being too close for comfort on a road bit, fortunately not so close I required replacement underwear and as a bonus I got to draft him for a few hundred m after he passed.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:08 am

Hey f&o, Seehaus is one of the dearer beer gardens around here, but bear in mind that the 8.8 Euros buy you a "Maß", i.e., 1 litre of pretty decent Hefeweizen (wheat beer), or Helles ( a clearer beer), both of which are pretty popular in southern Germany.
Yep, it sure is pretty around here, so many routes to explore...I should leave for work earlier to ride a few new trails..

Have a good weekend everyone! :D
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

TailWind

Postby TailWind » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:16 am

cancan64 wrote:
TailWind wrote:There's a beer garden there that I'm known to frequent, right at the water's edge.

Think I'll mount the cam tomorrow and see if I can piece together a video of the ride.

Cheers,
TW
I like the little kiosks on the side of the river where you can stop for a beer... well thats if they are still there
Alas, no little kiosks along my route, but there are a fair number of restaurants and beer gardens big and small.
Maybe I need to review my route!
It's been pretty hot over the last few days, nudging 30C and heading towards 35C over the next couple of days. I should definitely pace myself and break up my 5.25km ride with a few pit-stops. :mrgreen:
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike

Ruckednee

Postby Ruckednee » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:46 am

A bit brisk this morning in 'Berra. -5, froze my drink bottle. Bugger all other riders on my route today - think I saw more rowers on the lake :?

herzog

Postby herzog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:17 am

TailWind wrote:
Alas, no little kiosks along my route, but there are a fair number of restaurants and beer gardens big and small.
Maybe I need to review my route!
It's been pretty hot over the last few days, nudging 30C and heading towards 35C over the next couple of days. I should definitely pace myself and break up my 5.25km ride with a few pit-stops. :mrgreen:
You been down to Friedrichshafen and looped the lake on the bike trails?
Last edited by herzog on Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:13 am

Perth:

Roads wet from overnight but otherwise fine conditions.

However my new light dropped out completely about 5km into the ride. It's still new and I am still getting used to the charging requirements. Atleast I had my back covered with functioning tail lights, an absolute when riding on open roads.

EDIT: Forgot the highlight - close to the Riverside Drive river wall three dolphins including young'un were feeding in the middle of sundry birds including pelicans also feeding. They seem to have been a bit scarce in the last 12 months.

There must have been about twenty people sitting and watching for a good half hour.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

kb

Postby kb » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:12 am

Ruckednee wrote:A bit brisk this morning in 'Berra. -5, froze my drink bottle. Bugger all other riders on my route today - think I saw more rowers on the lake :?
Were they walking? ;-)

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:29 pm

Perfect cycling weather in Brisbane this morning, got down to 4.6c at Mt Gravatt.
I forgot my water bottle and didn't notice until I was 10km in, Lucky it was an easy day and it wasn't until my 3rd lap of Mt Gravatt that I had someone in front of me to catch.
Need to find an extra 8km to make my work week target so will have to detour on the way home...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:29 pm

TailWind wrote:
Hey f&o, Seehaus is one of the dearer beer gardens around here, but bear in mind that the 8.8 Euros buy you a "Maß", i.e., 1 litre of pretty decent Hefeweizen (wheat beer), or Helles ( a clearer beer), both of which are pretty popular in southern Germany.
Yep, it sure is pretty around here, so many routes to explore...I should leave for work earlier to ride a few new trails..

Have a good weekend everyone! :D
A litre? I can see that then :D

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:20 pm

This morning, at the steepest part of the climb to Parliament House on the perth freeway path, I came across a cyclist lying on the path beside his bike complaining of chest pain.
Seems like the perfect place for a heart attack, but turned out to be from banging his chest on the bars after a clip stack (new shoes). After a couple of minutes he thought he was OK.

Grgic

Postby Grgic » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Got hit head on by another cyclist this morning when they veered onto my side of the path when they overtook a pedestrian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URaKv8xbDZU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(sorry I don't know how to embed YouTube into posts)
http://www.strava.com/athletes/3420668? ... ce=top-nav" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:21 pm

Grgic wrote:Got hit head on by another cyclist this morning when they veered onto my side of the path when they overtook a pedestrian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URaKv8xbDZU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(sorry I don't know how to embed YouTube into posts)
Ow! Hope you and the bike are OK. Did he thank you for slowing down when you noticed him?

herzog

How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby herzog » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:26 pm

Jeepers that was a solid hit. Did his helmet get knocked clean off?