How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

find_bruce

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:02 am

Philosophical question for the day - why do numpties walking on the bike path usually travel in pairs ?

Today's idiots were deaf as well as stupid - complained about not ringing my bell, despite ringing it at 50m & 25m & only using my voice at 10m when they still hadn't moved to the adjacent footpath.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Chopper

Postby Chopper » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:30 pm

find_bruce wrote:Philosophical question for the day - why do numpties walking on the bike path usually travel in pairs ?

Today's idiots were deaf as well as stupid - complained about not ringing my bell, despite ringing it at 50m & 25m & only using my voice at 10m when they still hadn't moved to the adjacent footpath.
Pretty sure the answer is Pokemon Go mate - I encountered about a dozen of these muppets on the way home last week
Giant Defy
Cannondale Quick 4

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:54 pm

Maybe, but not in this case - the deafness appeared to be age related rather than skull candy & they had empty hands to go with the empty heads.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:10 pm

Decent tailwind this afternoon. Rather smooth fast run was interrupted by a council winter festival that was on in the park. Stall set up both sides of the oath, which meant lots of meandering peds. Decided that rather than battle through I'd go around and detoured via the grass. Got back on the track and still deployed the patience factor and gradually threaded my way through.

Not sure the festival setup was the best thing as there were heaps of walkers, joggers and cyclists out this afternoon being a warm day. Mayne the ground was just too wet for a non-path surrounding setup.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:54 pm

oof that wind.

I've realised that putting on 5-6kg over the last two months has meant my saddle no longer suits :cry: and I've given the older aliante that's built for fatsos to my mate, although he took it off and swapped in a solid carbon shell for some weird reason. May have to claim it back until I lose some kg's.

Edit....many pokymuppets on the Anniversary Trail today; mainly schoolkids; and all well behaved :D I'm starting to peice together a disturbing correlation of pokycreatures, schools and differing socio-economic areas :?

Edit, edit......I scored a gift voucher for the birthday, so I'm thinking a fly6 may be the go. How do they go with spray etc on the rear of an unguarded bike?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:38 pm

fat and old wrote:
Edit, edit......I scored a gift voucher for the birthday, so I'm thinking a fly6 may be the go. How do they go with spray etc on the rear of an unguarded bike?
Mine does ok with spray. Just remember to yell out the rego

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:14 pm

Egads, howling gale and sheets of rain moving horizontally as the storm hit this afternoon. I usually do around 1.5KMs along the beach near the end of my ride but I judged it to be too dangerous this evening (a first for me I've ridden along the beach in some pretty impressive gales) and went back to a slightly inland road. Possibly the worst conditions I have ridden in and I hadn't put the sleeves on my jacket. Home very wet and quite cold.

What amazing weather.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:03 am

after failing to remove the derailleur hanger on saturday, the bike went into the shop for them to drill out the bolt. Got the bike back last night after leaving work early. put it back together. rides like a new bike - new derailleur hanger, new rear derailleur, new chain and new cassette.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:17 pm

Very short one today, but it is still better than driving imo. I commuted in my office attire in a very friendly Sydney morning weather :D

caneye

Postby caneye » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:30 pm

finally back on the saddle after a week of man cold.
i had pushed my body through a few really wet winter commutes and it finally responded with - "bugger off, you stupid man. you've pushed us too far. you are old and weak despite your many expensive waterproof equipment. we're shutting down and taking a break."

a week later, i'm still suffering from chesty cough but decided ... i'm really fed-up with this cold so off i went with the AM commute.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:39 pm

caneye wrote:finally back on the saddle after a week of man cold.
i had pushed my body through a few really wet winter commutes and it finally responded with - "bugger off, you stupid man. you've pushed us too far. you are old and weak despite your many expensive waterproof equipment. we're shutting down and taking a break."

a week later, i'm still suffering from chesty cough but decided ... i'm really fed-up with this cold so off i went with the AM commute.
Great effort and get well soon mate.

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:36 pm

I think I'm finally back into the daily commute.
It started with a planned 2 week holiday back in June. I was back for a week before I was sent to Indonesia for a week, then I got back and got the inevitable plane sickness which kept me off the bike for a couple of days. I snuck a few commutes in before being sent to China and India for the past week. I was back in the saddle yesterday and today, despite the "welcome home" weather. Now to knuckle down and lose the couple of extra kg's I found along the way...

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:01 pm

My 5.3klm commute home was a blast. Avgd 35.5kph and that inc a red light and a hill...46 whole metres of elevation! Ha ha.

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:35 pm

TheWall wrote:My 5.3klm commute home was a blast. Avgd 35.5kph and that inc a red light and a hill...46 whole metres of elevation! Ha ha.
I can only do half of that. My commute is also 5km but I can only average 25kph max on very good days:

grungysquash

Postby grungysquash » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:51 am

Running to and from work over the last few months has been interesting., managed a flat yesterday had to fix at night under a streetlight, bloody road hole missed in the darkness had a rim double cut - luckily the rim was fine.

My commute is 15.5ks each way - so enough to get a sweat up, had a good run yesterday felt pretty good when I arrived averaged 27ks the uphill section in Bansktown is my daily punishment.

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:28 pm

1Km into my commute and got a flat, running a bit behind so a quick call to the missis and jumped in the car as she passed, got to work on time still. :D

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Awesome weather again this morning. A tailwind on some portions of my 5.3km commute :)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:31 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:1Km into my commute and got a flat, running a bit behind so a quick call to the missis and jumped in the car as she passed, got to work on time still. :D
:shock:

what? you didn't say pick up the spare wheel and the pump?

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:03 pm

jasonc wrote:
adam0bmx0 wrote:1Km into my commute and got a flat, running a bit behind so a quick call to the missis and jumped in the car as she passed, got to work on time still. :D
:shock:

what? you didn't say pick up the spare wheel and the pump?
ha no, just couldn't be bothered fixing it so close to home, knowing she was about to leave in the car and would pass me as I'm still fixing it!

Made up for it with 2 laps of Cootha after work though.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

back to cold weather this morning. saw 4 degrees on the garmin

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:41 am

Finally got a sorta of southerly yesterday. Sorta.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:07 pm

Yesterday's ride to work was the first time on the bike I've had that "blank out" sensation, have you ever had it? Where you get to your destination but the drive was so routine that nothing about it sticks in your mind. Mild weather, easy run, no traffic concerns, no other riders in front or behind.
I only remembered I'd ridden to work after walking past my bike later in the morning and thinking "Well, I guess that means I rode today" :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

rheicel

Postby rheicel » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:55 pm

Late commute for mate. Just got home and trying to figure out if I have a dinner :) Most likely will just go to bed now :)

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:21 am

Didn't think it was too cold this morning. However not using the full winter gloves meant I arrived with icicles on the end of my arms despite a few sections of hands-free mits in armpits riding
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

RyanA

Postby RyanA » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:15 am

bychosis wrote:Didn't think it was too cold this morning. However not using the full winter gloves meant I arrived with icicles on the end of my arms despite a few sections of hands-free mits in armpits riding
Yeah, I think we're heading into that time of year when it's warming up sufficiently to make us think we don't need the winter kit any more, but then once moving we regret the decision and decide that maybe the thermals would have helped. Last night on my way home I felt a little too warm in the legs, but I'm not ready to switch to shorts just yet...