How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

CXCommuter

Re: How was your commute ... today, yesterday, last week ...

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:04 am

familyguy wrote:While Kent St is a good idea, the practicality of it sucks when the lights are all off kilter and it takes ten minutes to get 800m!

Jim
New office location (next to Hilton) moved from York Street (Wynyard). Cannot wait for the underpass (coming off the bridge) upgrade to be finished so I can divert down York Street- so much quicker than Kent Street.

Pulled up behind a turf truck on the Delhi Road M2 exit. Forgot about it then cruised slowly up Epping Road Shared Path. Lo and Behold the same truck is met turning right onto Centennial Avenue. Motoring average speed fail

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:37 am

incoming rain on the radar so straight in this morning. I have a week off after today which some in the endomondo commuter challenge may appreciate

DaveOZ

Postby DaveOZ » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:18 am

It's been a really bad year for me with commuting but I'm trying to shake off the cobwebs and the weight and get back to 6000km per year. I love riding to work, it keeps me sane and fit....... but it rained today so I bailed.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:00 pm

I am still loving my new road bike. I'm resenting the days I have to drive due to shuttling kids around before and after school :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:20 pm

Mububban wrote:I am still loving my new road bike. I'm resenting the days I have to drive due to shuttling kids around before and after school :D
use the ebike and a trailer

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:16 am

Mububban wrote:I'm resenting the days I have to drive due to shuttling kids around before and after school :D
Me too. Can only ride 2 days per week. There is no way I can ensure two get on the bus at 830, get the third to preschool and then get to work in a reasonable time using pedals, it's hard enough to do it in the car. :x
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:22 pm

Had a weird one today - was riding along at ~40km/h when an idiot & her dog jogged in front of me. No that wasn't the weird bit - about 5 sec later a police car with lights & sirens stops in front of me & reverses back towards me. Scan guilty conscience, helmet check, bell check - nope can't think of anything, much less justifying the full catastrophe. While I was contemplating they sped off again, turning to drive up into the park. I can only assume they were on the hunt for a specific cyclist & fortunately decided it wasn't me.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:26 pm

find_bruce wrote:Had a weird one today - was riding along at ~40km/h when an idiot & her dog jogged in front of me. No that wasn't the weird bit - about 5 sec later a police car with lights & sirens stops in front of me & reverses back towards me. Scan guilty conscience, helmet check, bell check - nope can't think of anything, much less justifying the full catastrophe. While I was contemplating they sped off again, turning to drive up into the park. I can only assume they were on the hunt for a specific cyclist & fortunately decided it wasn't me.
Was it a 40kmh speed zone? Perhaps they couldn't believe you were doing 40kmh under your own steam and were checking for a motor. :lol:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:49 pm

biker jk wrote:Was it a 40kmh speed zone? Perhaps they couldn't believe you were doing 40kmh under your own steam and were checking for a motor. :lol:
Oi thats a bit harsh. It may be fair but its still harsh :D 60 zone - bus lane of a 3 lane road. I was just grateful I was able to stop

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:
biker jk wrote:Was it a 40kmh speed zone? Perhaps they couldn't believe you were doing 40kmh under your own steam and were checking for a motor. :lol:
Oi thats a bit harsh. It may be fair but its still harsh :D 60 zone - bus lane of a 3 lane road. I was just grateful I was able to stop
Obviously checking for bells, you passed.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:41 am

bychosis wrote:Obviously checking for bells, you passed.
Must have had good eyesight - on that bike the bell is on the back of the seatpost, for aerodynamic advantage. Commuting is all about the marginal gains :D

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:22 pm

Dodged the rain yesterday, beautiful weather for the ride in to work, rain during the day but it cleared up in time for the ride home to be dry. No mudguards of any sort on the road bike so I'm glad I didn't get a wet ass :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:47 pm

a consequence of a longer commute (change of job = twice the commuting distance = 23km each way) is that i find myself having to recharge my 2x rear lights + Virb + Fly6 a lot more frequently.

do you guys have any reliable USB hubs to recommend for fast-charging?

at the moment, i have to use all 3x USB ports on my notebook for charging my bike stuff, which is a real PITA if i have to bring my notebook for meetings. not to mention that mess on my workstation with USB cables all over the place :roll:

(probably less of an issue now that the days are getting longer. but it is still dark by the time i get home)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:21 pm

caneye wrote: do you guys have any reliable USB hubs to recommend for fast-charging?
Ride faster ;P

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:05 am

caneye wrote:a consequence of a longer commute (change of job = twice the commuting distance = 23km each way) is that i find myself having to recharge my 2x rear lights + Virb + Fly6 a lot more frequently.

do you guys have any reliable USB hubs to recommend for fast-charging?

at the moment, i have to use all 3x USB ports on my notebook for charging my bike stuff, which is a real PITA if i have to bring my notebook for meetings. not to mention that mess on my workstation with USB cables all over the place :roll:

(probably less of an issue now that the days are getting longer. but it is still dark by the time i get home)
If have one of these (http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/offi ... cowcd34blk) for the office and one of these (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/phones/all-ph ... er/771872/) in the garage at home.

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun Sep 25, 2016 3:47 pm

WhingingPom wrote:
If have one of these (http://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/offi ... cowcd34blk) for the office and one of these (https://www.jbhifi.com.au/phones/all-ph ... er/771872/) in the garage at home.
Yep, that's the one. One at home, one at work

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:30 pm

Well today was a swift one, 32.8km/h avg speed, and also painful. Got hit by a magpie 4 times on the side of the head, and he either bit or clawed me each time. It was up a hill, so he had time to keep coming back for more! :evil:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:08 pm

That Witton rd Maggie is nasty. 32.8 is hum-dinging. Nice work

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:43 am

Rained on going to work yesty. Started raining 500m after I left at 6:00pm. Torrential (Melbourne, not Queensland :lol: ) by the time I got home. Rained on again this morning. Both days beautiful during work hours :cry:

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:45 am

jasonc wrote:That Witton rd Maggie is nasty. 32.8 is hum-dinging. Nice work
Nope its another one, just after Witton Rd as you go up through the steep S's. He's got me on two seperate occasions now.

Todays ride was good, fitted some new wheels last night, Shimano RS81 C35's. :D

kb

Postby kb » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:26 pm

I was enjoying Melbourne's refreshing rain last night. Then a flat. Then spare tube had a hole out of the packet. Then the patches which were a little old, didn't want to stick. Then the rain started to get heavier. I hate calling for a rescue but it just wasn't my night :-)

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:54 pm

adam0bmx0 wrote:
jasonc wrote:That Witton rd Maggie is nasty. 32.8 is hum-dinging. Nice work
Nope its another one, just after Witton Rd as you go up through the steep S's. He's got me on two seperate occasions now.

Todays ride was good, fitted some new wheels last night, Shimano RS81 C35's. :D
That's the same magpie. He covers from the s's to after the tunnel outbound

Kb - sometimes the white flag is the best option

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:30 am

sadly back at work today. sensational weather this morning. the air was crisp (less than 9 degrees when I left home). Unfortunately I couldn't just keep riding

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:13 pm

Had quite a fast commute this morning, really hammering along - that was good. :)

Did some 5x5 intervals tonight at 65rpm, and then commuted back home. Someone sneakily put my bike into the small chain-ring while I wasn't watching, must have been a hint... Left it that way and easy spinning. Heck I've got sore legs tonight. :shock:

With the big wild weather headed towards NSW tomorrow, I think I'll avoid riding tomorrow. :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:08 pm

Blew my knee yesterday on the way in. I think. Ok when I get to work. By midday starting to be sore. By 2.00pm I can't stand on that leg, by 4.00pm I can't walk and get driven home. :?